PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a recipe for hot apple cider???

Cookiebaker
11-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Every year before this, I have bought the seasonings in a packet, but this year I couldn't find it! :confused: I know there are cinnamon sticks and whole cloves in it. Does anyone have any ideas??

sirrahbed
11-24-2004, 05:41 PM
I don't have a recipe - but just simmer the cider with -like you mentioned - cinnamon sticks and whole cloves. Simmer it for maybe 30 minutes or so. You can also set it out all day in the crockpot if you have company coming. A teaball is nice to have and that is what I use for mine. If not - you can tie them up in an old hankie or piece of cheesecloth. For a half gallon of cider, I would use 3-4 cinnamon sticks-break them up and maybe a small palm of cloves (half teaspoon or so) I have also added red-hots candies and that makes a good flavoring.

I just googled "mulled cider" and there are lots of recipes. Here is one that sounded easy:
1 quart apple cider
3/4-1 cup lemon juice
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
8 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
cinnamon sticks (for garnish) (optional)

tatsxxx11
11-24-2004, 05:52 PM
I usually buy the prepackaged mullng stuff too, but I know the main ingreidents are cinnamon sticks and whole cloves. I also add some orange peel and stub it with the cloves. As has been mentioned by Sirrahbed, place the spices in a chesscloth tied or teball and simmer on low. The brown sugar added at the end is a nice touch! And so is a shot or two of applejack!:D If you add it while it heats, the alocohol should evaporate!

cookieluver7
11-24-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm not much of a cook, so I really can't tell you, but if you do a search on the internet (google, yahoo, etc.) maybe that will tell you. Hope that helped!

Cookiebaker
11-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks very much for the input!! I am sending Mark out right now to pick up some cinnimon sticks and whole cloves. :)

Cookiebaker
12-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Just wanted to give an update. My apple cider turned OK, but quite strong. :( I was pretty disappointed.

And wouldn't you know?? I went to pick up a few grocery things tonight, and RIGHT THERE next to the check out, they had a WHOLE DISPLAY of mulling spices. :rolleyes: Oh well! I bought 5 packets, so I will be set for a little while!! :D