PDA

View Full Version : Acne?

GoldenRetrLuver
11-24-2004, 03:27 PM
What does everyone use to help prevent acne? Mine has been "acting up" lately. I use Noxema, and that keeps it under control for the most part, but I'm curious as to what other people use? Maybe I could find a different product that heals and treats it faster.

Sorry for the small rant. I hate being a teen. :p:(

sammy101
11-24-2004, 03:29 PM
i dont have bad acne,but i get a breakout once in a while.I use Clearisil(spl???) I only use the cream b/c all the other stuff dries out my skin.It works pretty good,and its tinted too so it helps cover it up;) :p My brother has had really bad acne since he was 15,and still has it(he's 18 now).

Desert Arabian
11-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Store junk doesn't work at all for me. Tried everything on the shelves since I was 12. Proactive was a scam and waste of money.

I am on prescriptions for my acne, which is helping tremendously! I am *SO* happy with my results. When I was first entering puberty my acne was soooo bad- horrible-made me cry every day!

Right now I am using Triaz wash in the shower, then I rub on Retin-A-Micro gel afterwards. I used to have to take a pill twice a day called Minocycline. The Dr. also prescribed me Benzaclin, which was the most horrid thing to ever put on a face. It burned and burned and burned, I had to wash it off my face immediately it was too powerful for me. I had the Dr. cancel my prescription for that.

My acne is so much better. I get break outs usually right before my period, but it is fairly minor. I still have some acne near my ears,where I rest my hands all the time in school, transfering all the dirt and germs.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Proactive was a scam and waste of money.

Proactiv worked great for both me and my husband. It's a bit pricey and we're a little short on money with the holidays and all, so right now I'm not using it. As soon as I can afford it I'm going back on it.

christa
11-24-2004, 04:10 PM
I used Proactive to clear up my skin. Worked great!

The first night I used it, I could actually feel it working!
I used it for about 3 weeks straight . . . now I just use it when I start to break out.

In between using Proactive, I wash my face with Clinique facial soap TWICE a day!

slleipnir
11-24-2004, 05:53 PM
I've never had acne really other then one maybe two at a time. So I have no idea

Uabassoon
11-24-2004, 05:55 PM
I love proactive, it really helped clear up my skin. Now my mom and sister use it.

binka_nugget
11-24-2004, 06:58 PM
My doctor prescribed Minocycline to me. I haven't taken the pills in ages.. I'm too lazy to. :p

Oxy works really well for me. My acne isn't too bad. When it does flare up, good ol' toothpaste or rubbing alchohol works for me.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-24-2004, 07:01 PM
My doctor gave me Clindoxyl Gel before. I had really bad Acne for about a month and I was so sick of it. It's much better now, I barely ever get any now. The Clindoxyl gel works really well but you have to go to the doctor and get a prescription for it:)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I get breakouts every now and then too, but this one just doesn't seem to want to go away. :( Noxema *does* keep it under control, it just takes a while to get rid of.

Maybe I'll have my parents make an appointment for me to go in. Thanks again!

popcornbird
11-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Oh isn't acne ANNOYING? It drove me crazy after puberty, for years. I felt so bad about myself....hated the way I looked. Mine would come and go.....sometimes my face would be totally clear, and sometimes the acne would show up. Most of my acne was under my chin area....not directly on my face. If it was on my cheeks or something, it would've been worse.

I used a lot of over-the-counter stuff. None of them worked. Then one day, a friend of my mom told me to beat egg white with a few drops of lemon juice, and apply it to my face everyday. I told her *That's disgusting!!!! I'm not putting raw EGG on my face! :eek:* My mom ended up convincing me though. She said to give it a try. I did. It feels icky, but it dries and becomes like a mask after awhile. You leave it on for about 20-30 minutes, and then wash it off. I swear it worked WONDERS! Cleared my skin up so fast. I think I should actually do that again to get rid of any left-over pimple marks. My face is pretty much all clear now, but I want it to be perfectly clear. You know how girls are? ;) Always worried about their looks. :p LOL!

I know you're going to think the egg white/lemon juice thing is gross, but it really works well. My mom's friend said one of her friends was a 'model', and that was one of her secrets. :p

Vitamin E oil also works wonders in clearing skin. I'm not sure if its good to put oil on pimples, but when the pimples go away and the 'marks' are left, it will help in getting rid of the marks if you apply it every night. Don't use it if you have oily skin, but if you have normal or dry skin, it should work great.

Tonya
11-24-2004, 07:24 PM
I've battled acne for years. I was fine in highschool, but when I became pregnant with my son it got bad. It hasn't been the same since and gets especially bad when I am pregnant.

I have tried everything under the sun, including the prescriptions people mentioned above. Accutane is harsh but it seemed to make the biggest difference. I've also tried microdermabrasian which is expensive, but it helped with the scarring. I have been using the BeautiControl skincare line for about 2 months and my skin looks the best it ever has. I think you just have to keep trying until you find something that works for you.

A good inexpensive cleanser is Cetaphil. That has helped alot too. You can be over treating your skin. It took me a long time to figure out that all the medications and harsh soaps I was using on my skin was actually irritating it and making it worse.

Tonya
11-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Haha, I just remembered what one my friend's Portugese grandmother recommended. She says your first morning urine is superb for acne. Just pee on a washcloth and pat your face with it. I never got desperate enough to try that one. LMAO.

slleipnir
11-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Apparently 'avon' products are really good..

Amber
11-24-2004, 09:41 PM
I hardly EVER get acne, or anything. (great, i jinxed myself :rolleyes: )

anyways, if I ever get something, i take my brothers doctor prescription acne med, and put it on, and within 1 or 2 days its gone.

But usually, I just wash my face when I take showers with soap.

joanofark
11-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by
The Dr. also prescribed me Benzaclin, which was the most horrid thing to ever put on a face. It burned and burned and burned, I had to wash it off my face immediately it was too powerful for me.

I had something like that, I don't know what it was called but wow it burned. It made my face red and dry. :o

Now I use some pill. I take one at day and one at night. It clears it up really good...I dunno what it's called now...but it's working.;)

I usually have it around my nose and on forehead.

NoahsMommy
11-24-2004, 10:17 PM
I just started using Dermologica and I love it. :)

smokey the elder
11-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Tonya, I hope you're not using Accutane now that you're preggers!:eek:

Tonya
11-25-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I just started using Dermologica and I love it. :)

Their stuff is great. My skin was always to oily, so I'd never used a moisturizer. Once I started using their Active Moist moisturizer, it really balanced my skin out.

Tonya
11-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by smokey the elder
Tonya, I hope you're not using Accutane now that you're preggers!:eek:

No, I'm not. Accutane causes awful birth defects. They make you come in monthly for pregnancy tests and always have two forms of birth control. I quit Accutane in December of last year and started trying for a baby in Janurary. I didn't get pregnant until May, so I'm free and clear!

Accutane works well, but it is a very harsh medication. My skin cracked, blistered, bled...my lips were so chapped. I was always dehydrated and I sunburned easily. And it causes depression. I hadn't had trouble with depression in years until I started the Accutane. I would deffinatly say that Accutane should only be used as a last resort.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
Haha, I just remembered what one my friend's Portugese grandmother recommended. She says your first morning urine is superb for acne. Just pee on a washcloth and pat your face with it. I never got desperate enough to try that one. LMAO.

LMAO Tonya! Somehow I don't think I'll get desperate enough to try that.. :p

Originally posted by popcornbird
I know you're going to think the egg white/lemon juice thing is gross, but it really works well. My mom's friend said one of her friends was a 'model', and that was one of her secrets. :p

Interesting. Hehe, I don't know if I'll be able to force myself to do that as well. ;) Never know, though. Maybe..

cocker_luva
11-25-2004, 11:46 AM
i have little enough to just let them go away by themselves in acouple days.

wolfsoul
11-25-2004, 02:29 PM
The only thing that works for me is glycerine soap. :) For years I washed my face with rubbing alcohol, and you could see all of the disgusting grunge coming off of my face, but the alcohol never really helped. Now that I'm using glycerine soap, if I wash my face with alchohol, nothing will come off.

It's SO great. It is the best for oily skin (like mine) because it really dries it out. If your skin is not oily, just apply the soap to the zits. I wash my face with it almost every day (now that it's winter and the weather is more dry, I've slowed down some), and my face is clear. I also had terrible acne on my back for a couple of years, and the glycerine soap completely cleared it up. It's very cheap, you can buy it practically everywhere, it comes in so many different scents, shapes, and colours, and it's natural. After I use it I just feel so clean, and I look cleaner too. It's very refreshing.

Remember not to pop your zits until they are ready. You'll know when they are ready when they turn white and get big, like they are just waiting to burst.

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-25-2004, 02:42 PM
I've never had acne at all, so I wouldn't know anything about how to treat it.:)

shais_mom
11-26-2004, 01:07 AM
I have tried Proactiv and was happy with the results. Everyone I know that has tried Proactiv swears by it. One of the girls from work has a history of hoooorrribblle acne with large scars and postules almost boil like. And she started Proactiv and swears by it now...
I have been using the Clinique 3 step skin care and just have occasional breakout.
I think Jordyn, that the reason that maybe the alcohol didn't work it b/c it is soooo drying to you're face that I bet it backfired, your skin can overcompensate and make your face even more oily.
BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

luckies4me
11-26-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Tonya

I have! :o Yep, I admit it. I was in junior high though and desperate! :o :eek: :(

Lilith Cherry
11-26-2004, 06:50 AM
Did it work, Luckies4me, or just make it worse:eek:

HoRsELUvR
11-26-2004, 07:37 AM
The stuff I use is called Clear Zone and I bought it at CVS.Its similar to Proactive, but its cheaper and you dont have to order it.

luckies4me
11-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Lilith Cherry
Did it work, Luckies4me, or just make it worse:eek:

No, it actually worked LOL! :p :o

carole
11-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Teens are not alone in getting acne, as you get to pre-menopause the same darn thing happens to some of us all over again, actually as a teen I was pretty lucky, but I am making up for it now, I don't get acne as such, but when I get a few blemishes they are real monsters, more like cysts really, and keep coming up in the same place, hideous looking things.

I have no magic cure, hormones have a lot to answer for, I find cleansing and all that stuff makes mine worse, so I stopped all of that, just plain water in the shower daily, I use oil of Olay moisturiser and clearsil for the spots.

I guess just like our teens, I have to grow out of it again, hmmm, I can't wait, believe me its just as embarrassing at this age as when you are a teen, maybe even more so, because everyone expects teens to get some pimples, not us oldies.:)