PDA

View Full Version : Holiday clothes

catnapper
11-24-2004, 02:54 PM
How do you dress when your family gathers for holidays?

Gorwing up, we always got dressed up - shiny new shoes, pretty new dresses for me, new suit for my brother. Everyone looked great. As I got older, we were less formal, but everyone still wore new clothes and looked their best. NEVER EVER jeans.

Then I met and married hubby. His family is the polar opposite - they are in jeans - sweats even - and are comfy for the day. I still have the need ot dress up, so I usually wear a nice skirt and seater, and hubby wears his jeans. :rolleyes:

How do you dress for the holiday gatherings?

Killearn Kitties
11-24-2004, 03:10 PM
I like to wear something nice for holidays and special occasions too.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-24-2004, 03:12 PM
I haven't worn a dress or a skirt in years, and I prefer to keep it that way. ;)

I usually just go with my comfy jeans and *maybe* a more formal shirt, but I'm not really forced to.

So, I voted for the second choice. :)

cookieluver7
11-24-2004, 03:21 PM
I normally try to look my best. I like to wear all different things so it was kinda hard for me to choose. But my vote was try to look my best.

aly
11-24-2004, 03:31 PM
On Christmas, we always open our presents in our PJs and sweats and dress casually in jeans for the rest of the day (if we even get dressed! haha!). My mom will usually put on a red sweater or something more Christmas-y, but no one else dresses up. My family isn't a formal type and I'm glad.

Cookiebaker
11-24-2004, 03:43 PM
I think we dress moderately dressy. Nothing too formal, nothing too casual--just midstream.

Tonya
11-24-2004, 03:46 PM
It depends on my mood. Normally I dress up. But if I'm celebrating at home, I'll dress comfy. Tomorrow, we'll be doing alot of driving, so I'm wearing gym pants and a t-shirt.

My Peanuts
11-24-2004, 03:49 PM
We usually keep it pretty casual, but not as far as wearing sweats. Then again, I never wear sweats :). My dad is always casual, but the rest of us make more of an effort. Christmas eve we dress up more because we go to midnight mass.

sammy101
11-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Jeans and Sweats for me:) Ill dress nice if were going out to a nice restruant(spll??)thats about it

BitsyNaceyDog
11-24-2004, 03:59 PM
We just wear everyday clothes.

Edwina's Secretary
11-24-2004, 04:08 PM
I went with business casual. I too remember getting a new outfit for holidays (velvet for Thanksgiving and Christmas) and loving to get dressed up. My mother always made the dresses.

Now it is a holiday sweater and nice slacks...or a Lounging dress.

Karen
11-24-2004, 04:13 PM
I do dress up for holidays. It is just part of it being a special day! Nothing uncomfortable, I don't buy uncomfortable clothes anyway, but dressy.

sirrahbed
11-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Traditionally we are very casual and gather as a family for the gift opening and meal. We have church both Christmas eve and Christmas morning and get dressed up for that, but as soon as we get home, off come the dressy clothes and on with the jeans or sweats for a very casual and comfy day of eating, games, puzzles, etc.

Our middle son's birthday is also Christmas eve, so we will usually dress up in the afternoon and go out to a nice restaurant.

Thanksgiving is strictly casual:)

Uabassoon
11-24-2004, 05:37 PM
When I was a kid my mom used to get me a new dress every year for Christmas and I would get very dressed up for our family functions. Now that I'm older I usually wear "office casual", but my little cousins are usually dressed up and the adults are more casual. Usually I wear nice slacks with a new sweater.

aly
11-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Micki needs to answer this so I know what to wear to her house tomorrow!!!! :D :D Hehe

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-24-2004, 10:25 PM
I never dress "fancy". No matter what holiday it is I wear jeans and a t-shirt, I'll usually wear a niceer t-shirt than my everyday ones though:) But there is absolutley NO way anyone could ever get me in a dress!

christa
11-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to wear a nice pair of jeans (as opposed to my ratty jeans) and a nice shirt . . . and probably my black boots (depending on how my tooties feel in the morning). Nothing special . . . I haven't worn a dress since my wedding over a year ago, LOL!

lisalee
11-24-2004, 10:52 PM
Tomorrow is just a relaxation day for us, so I will be wearing my sweats. I used to dress up for Christmas when I was younger for visiting relatives, now I will usually just wear jeans and a nice sweater/jacket.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-25-2004, 03:07 AM
I voted for "ofiice casual". Meaning: I buy something special , but I always want something comfy. Sometimes it is a long skirt, sometimes dark trousers, and some jewelry (earrings and necklace)

popcornbird
11-25-2004, 04:50 PM
I always have nice, new clothes to wear of holidays. They're special days, so we do get dressed up. Nothing uncomfortable, but something 'nice' and its usually new too........not casual though. He he he.