PDA

View Full Version : Doberman sooner?

cubby31682
11-24-2004, 01:36 PM
I got a call at work yesterday from one of the doberman rescue places that we want to go through. They told me they want to do a home visit. I said sure no problem, let me call you back when I know what days off I will have next week. So as soon as I got home I called to let them know they could come out next Tuesday after 3 pm. They said that's great oh and by the way we are going to bring the the dog with us that we have matched up with your application. :D :D :D They are also sending me a picture of her as well. I can't wait to see the dog that I have already fallen in love with.

She has already gone through obediance classes, she was top dog in her class but as soon as she would get home none of the commands, such as sit, get down, and so on would work with her. They also said that she was in agility, also top dog in her class and she loved it the whole time. She didn't want to stop to leave the agility ring. They did say however that I am going to want to get her in another obediance class as well. Just to make sure that this time it will stick.

She is a 1 year old, black and tan dober girl. I don't remember what her name was. Which I didn't mind her name but I would like to change it to Angel. He name almost sounds like Angel so I don't think that will be a big deal. I want to have my guardian Angel watching me. And that is what she will do.

She loves cats, kids, but hates other dogs. She has only gotten along with 2 dogs her whole life so far. I don't know if I should try to introduce her to my brother's dog or not. Obviously it wont be until after she has been here for a while.

Please hope and pray for me that she falls in love with us as much as we already have with her.

Katie

GraciesMommy
11-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Best of Luck!!

sammy101
11-24-2004, 02:00 PM
oo how exciting!!I cant wait to see if she's the one!:) Keep us posted!;)

Tina
11-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Good luck! Hope everything works out ok for you.:D

aly
11-24-2004, 02:16 PM
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very excited for you!! :D

You should ask the rescue people about the dogs that she did get along with (their size, gender, temperament). It may be easier to introduce her to your brother's dog sooner rather than later (before she's settled in and thinking she's queen of the world ;) ), but it varies so waiting might be better too.

DogLover9501
11-24-2004, 02:18 PM
How exciting :D :D

Good Luck!!

cubby31682
11-24-2004, 04:33 PM
The rescue person said that one was a golden retreiver, and the other was a black lab. I don't want to rush her into anything. Which is why I want to wait a couple of weeks for her to meet other dogs. The rescue woman also said that I should put a gate up first, and let them sniff each other through the gate.

I just went shopping for stuff for her. I got a collar, leash, food dishes, treats and toys. We want to wait to get her food until either this weekend or we want to wait to ask the rescue people what kind of food they feed her.

My brother keeps telling me to get her a nyla bone, are those really that good for dogs? He said his vet told him to get one for his dog. So I was just kinda wondering about that.

Jods
11-25-2004, 06:43 AM
yes they are good for dogs, but some dogs won't take them. What a way to sucker you in eh? We'll bring the dog we've matched for you LOL... More like we'll bring you your dog hahaha. Hope it all works out and you all like each other. How old is she? Post when you get some pics!! :D ;)

RottiMommy49
11-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Oh how excited you sound and rightfully so! I know I would be going crazy waiting. Time seems to stand still when there is something your waiting for.

If I may make a sugestion regarding introducing the new dog to your brothers dog, only because it has always worked best for everyone I know including myself and dogs I have rescued and taken to their foster home where there are other animals. Let them meet on neutral territory first, a park, or even a parking lot where it's not busy. Never had any problems doing it this way even if it's a dog we have had for years meeting a new dog. It seems to stop the territorial problem and lets them get to know each other prior to being in the same house.

Good luck and can't wait to hear if she is the one for you and see a picture.:)

Hugs....Deb, Monty and Kiki

LorraineO
11-25-2004, 07:57 AM
I agree with rottimommy,,, intrduce in neutral territory!1 VERY important I think,,,, and keep the leashes loose,,,, Dr Stanley coren is a great guy to read on,, his books are fabo!!

I am so excited for you,,, she sounds wonderful!!!!!!

cubby31682
11-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Jods- she is a year old but by what they say she is nothing but a ball of energy. They said she is very high in energy. They are going to be driving for right around 3-4 hours to get her here. And if we keep getting snow like we did last night it will take them even longer.

RottiMommy- I have to agree with what you are saying. We have a small parking lot right out our door. Would that be a good place or is that to close to home for them? I wake up every day and ask my husband if it's Tuesday yet.

We just started cleaning out the office, so now there aren't any wires she can get at or chew on. Does anyone know what kind of stuff they will be looking for? I know cleanliness, yard space and stuff like that. Also to see if we are nice people and to make sure the dog likes us.

I am too excited right now. I just want it to be Tuesday and see her and get to keep her. I told my husband that if she so much as looks at us were going to keep her. We have already fallen in love with her. :D :eek:

RottiMommy49
11-25-2004, 08:27 AM
RottiMommy- I have to agree with what you are saying. We have a small parking lot right out our door. Would that be a good place or is that to close to home for them? I wake up every day and ask my husband if it's Tuesday yet.

That should be fine as long as it's not a place you take your Dobie girl a lot prior to meeting the other dog. They do get to think they own everwhere they spend time. Mine think they own the whole neighborhood because thats where we walk.:rolleyes:

Hope it helps:)

RobiLee
11-25-2004, 08:42 AM
I'm so happy for you! How very exciting. I'm wishing you all the best and can't wait to hear stories about your Angel girl.

Robin :)

LorraineO
11-25-2004, 09:46 AM
You said she is very high energy,,, well dont you and hubby work all day? Will she be the right choice for you if she will be in a crate most of her day? she might be too energized for that...???

cubby31682
11-25-2004, 11:14 AM
We don't want her in a crate. I get a day or two off during the week. Hubby gets every weekend off. Corey works about 2 blocks from where we live so he will be home on his breaks to let her out and let her play. She will also only be home alone for about 4 maybe 5 hours most of the time. That is not including my hubby's 45 minute break to spend time with her. We do plan on taking her for walks/runs. Also to the park that is down the road from us. She will also have alot of toys too. :D

shutterbug0303
11-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Sounds so wonderful!!! I can't wait to find out more information about this baby that is hopefully going to be yours! I've had 2 dobermans, and wouldn't trade them for anything! The breed is PERFECT! ;) I love that you already got her toys and stuff! That is great!! Good luck on Tuesday and keep us posted!

shais_mom
11-26-2004, 12:55 AM
how exciting!!
will keep all of you in my thoughts! :) and prayers!

todd
11-26-2004, 09:10 PM
keep us updated