PDA

View Full Version : Cavy Care Questions!

piclezgomoo
11-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Yes! Yes! It's a miracle! I am back! I have one question... HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF A GUINEA PIG?! My sister & I might be getting one so please! Help!

Thanks so much
~Breezy n' DJ

guineapiggie13
11-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Well, first off, the most important things guinea pigs NEED is vitamin C. They need a good daily dose of it each day. Oranges and about 1-2 drops of liquid supplement found at pet stores is enough for them. They need exercise regularly, and a nice spacial cage. Oh, and also, don't get ONE because guinea pigs are social creatures that like to have company. See if your local humane society has a pair of guinea pigs up for adoption, too. Give your guinea pigs fresh water changes about once a week in a sipper tube for them, as a water bowl gets filled with shavings, etc. They love vegetables and give them this every day. Timothy hay is good for older guinea pigs, whereas alfalfa hay is for younger guinea pigs. Last, give 'em lots of LOVE!

chrissycat21
11-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by guineapiggie13
Well, first off, the most important things guinea pigs NEED is vitamin C. They need a good daily dose of it each day. Oranges and about 1-2 drops of liquid supplement found at pet stores is enough for them. They need exercise regularly, and a nice spacial cage. Oh, and also, don't get ONE because guinea pigs are social creatures that like to have company. See if your local humane society has a pair of guinea pigs up for adoption, too. Give your guinea pigs fresh water changes about once a week in a sipper tube for them, as a water bowl gets filled with shavings, etc. They love vegetables and give them this every day. Timothy hay is good for older guinea pigs, whereas alfalfa hay is for younger guinea pigs. Last, give 'em lots of LOVE!

I have heard from many places that your never supposed to use the viamin C suppliements because if gives off a bad taste in the water and then they stop drinking. But I guess it depends if the guinea pig is used to it or not.

Autumn, GET TWO GUINEA PIGS! Get the two you have been looking at that you told me about on IM. I'll piggy sit! :)

If you have any more questions, IM, PM, e-mail, call me, whateven. I'm online just about 24/7 :D There are many people on PT that have guinea pigs and can give you loads of info if you need it.

Aspen and Misty
11-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by piclezgomoo
Yes! Yes! It's a miracle! I am back! I have one question... HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF A GUINEA PIG?! My sister & I might be getting one so please! Help!

Thanks so much
~Breezy n' DJ

I have three ADORABLE piggies up for adoption waiting for someone to love them :D Ok ok, just tempting you now.

Make sure you get 2, they need company!

Ashley