PDA

View Full Version : Stowaway kitten in 1,000 mile trip

ChrisH
11-24-2004, 09:48 AM
A stowaway cat has been discovered at a Flintshire lift company after a 1,000-mile trip from Milan in Italy. The six-month-old kitten named Mario hitched a lift in the back of a lorry heading for the Global Lift Equipment factory in Flint. The trip took three days and the black Manx cat escaped relatively unscathed. However, animal lovers now have to raise £1,500 to pay for his six-month stay in quarantine. Mario is in a quarantine centre in Chester to rule out the possibility of him having rabies.

However, bosses at Global Lift initially called the Flintshire Wildlife and Rescue Centre in Holywell for help. "My mum had gone to take my sister to school and I took the call from the factory," said Kate Pierce-Jones, whose mother Joy runs the centre. "I advised them to put food in a box and they managed to catch him. With him coming from a foreign country we had to tell Defra. He's in quarantine in Chester now and will be there for six months. If he'd got out in Flint, the whole of Flint would've been under quarantine," the 19-year-old said. Ms Pierce-Jones said he was "pretty shocked and scared".

Now the teenager and her mother need to try and raise £1,500 to secure his future or he could be put to sleep. "We've had people ringing since this morning pledging money," she said. "They'd put him down if we can't raise the money but I'll do anything to get the money, He’ll come here after six months and he's going to stay with us so everyone who helped him can come and see him. If we've got more money than we need for Mario it'll go for all the other animals," she added.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/4036127.stm

picture attatched :)

slick
11-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Oh my gosh, just look at that sweet facie. Who wouldn't want to keep that little cutie.

Hee Hee, every time I hear the name Mario, I think of Willie's monkey.

Killearn Kitties
11-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Aww, what a gorgeous little kitten! I'll bet he was "pretty shocked and scared"! Poor baby.

catfamily
11-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Mario looks healthy and probably does not have rabies.Why isn't someone taking him in for free?This is crazy.I have Birdie here under Rabies quarentine.No problem.Mario would not look so good and be vicious to suspect rabies.I DO understand the quarentine law which is much needed but surley someone could of put him in their home for free for six months.Don't we all agree here?
Also..I wouldn't mind getting their info to see how much they needed and such.

catmandu
11-25-2004, 09:09 AM
That is nothing more than a Beareucratic Cash Grab,making those Poor Guardians pay all that money,when A Vet ,can easily dtermine,whether a Cat,is rabid,or not! Just so,they can waste the money,omn nonsense,as Governments do1 BAH,a Pox,on thier houses!

QueenScoopalot
11-25-2004, 09:26 AM
What a sweet inquisitive looking little guy. :) And very lucky to not end up dead, or scraping by looking for food. :( I sure hope he gets lots of attention while jailed. ;)

lynnestankard
11-25-2004, 04:15 PM
What a sweetie pie - he looks like Bagel!!!!!

Lynne

Jods
11-26-2004, 07:13 AM
In quarantine for 6 months :eek: Holy he'll have a nice kittenhood :rolleyes: Maybe someones looking for him at the other end why don't they just send him back?? He may have a home.