PDA

View Full Version : Icky Holiday food!!

RICHARD
11-23-2004, 12:05 PM
There is the homemade fruitcake, the dish that Aunt Esther makes-you know, the one made from deer blood and sweetbreads- Uncle Frank's bathtub gin and that "Old World Recipe" that Cousin Estele whips up because, "The holidays aren't the holidays unless you have pickled skunk feet in a cream cheese and yougurt sauce!".

You have seen it before, that pot luck dish with one spoonful taken out of it after a whole evening of feasting, the stuff you ate on a dare from your sibs....The dish, that you tell the person who brought it, "I can't possibly fit this into the fridge!" Just so you don't have to toss it out the next day...

What is the dish that shows up on, around your table every holiday/special occasion??

Mine???

Those pearl onions in cream! Ewwwwwwww! I get queasy thinking about them!!!!

slick
11-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Those pearl onions in cream! Ewwwwwwww! I get queasy thinking about them!!!!
Hey, those are my favourite!! :)

Mine?

That disgusting yam casserole with all the marshmellows on top and dripping with syrup. Yuck!!! Makes me gag just thinking about it.

Oh yes, then there was this beet thingy that my Aunt brought for Christmas dinner one year. :eek:

catnapper
11-23-2004, 12:13 PM
LOL Richard! My grandmom used to have those every year, along with pickled beats... then she's swish them around on her plate and have one big muddly looking slop pf turkey, stuffing (that was ALWAYS green) yams, corn, etc... she claimed it all went down to the same place. YUCK!

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-23-2004, 12:14 PM
My very annoying Granma on my Dad's side makes this for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, but she lives too far away for us to go there for dinner. Anyway, she ALWAYS has my Grandpa drive here a couple days later with the most disgusting stuffing in the world! I don't even know what's in it but it looks like it came from the Garbage dump, it's awful!

LKPike
11-23-2004, 12:28 PM
when my mom attempts to make homemade macaroni each christmas and it comes out half burnt and rubbery and we have to force it down our throats so there arent hurt feelings and hopefully we can keep the family battles down to a minimum... this year we might actually be able to leave the chairs and other heavy objects usually seen flying through the air, unglued/unlocked from the floor :)

lynnestankard
11-23-2004, 12:38 PM
[i]Mine?
That disgusting yam casserole with all the marshmellows on top and dripping with syrup. Yuck!!! Makes me gag just thinking about it. [/B]

What the hell is that????? It sounds totally disgusting - are you sure you're supposed to eat it? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
What the hell is that????? It sounds totally disgusting - are you sure you're supposed to eat it? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Actually, Lynne, it's quite yummy! ;) Yams are sweet potatoes. I have no idea what the [i]proper[/b] English term is for them. They're baked in butter and brown sugar, and yes, I could do without the marshmallows, but the yams themselves are yummy! And sweet potatoes are so much better for you than regular potatoes. ;)

I was never big on cranberries. Unfortunately Terry looooves cranberries and can't understand why I don't like them. I love cranberry juice, just not the goop that is served at Thanksgiving. ;)

CountryWolf07
11-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Not too big on cranberries or yams... *gag*

RICHARD
11-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard

LOLOLOLOLOLOL...

I'd rather eat the pickled skunk feet!!!:D

Sorry T&P!!!!

tatsxxx11
11-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Creamed onions are my FAVORITE:D And love mushing them up with eveything on the plate! (On this one we part ways, Amigo:D)

Ok, here's one I'll bet few of you have heard of. My parents are from Norway and Sweden and fish dishes of all sorts are served at Christmas. Wanna come to my house and partake in some cod fish pickled in lye?:eek: The dreaded stinky, slimy lutefisk:D Even Scandinavians hate it but we eat it....because?:rolleyes: We even sing holiday songs about how we all hate to eat the dreaded lutefisk:D Another favorite, HEADCHEESE, which is not cheese at all, but pickled pig snouts, feet, blood and a host of other good things all held together with gelatin. The original "mystery meat!" Guess there's a reason why Norweigans are called "squareheads"

micki76
11-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Green bean casserole. Blech. And Cranberry goop.

I like sweet potato casserole, but I make it the southern way with pecan & brown sugar topping. Lots of sugar and butter!

RedHedd
11-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by slick
That disgusting yam casserole with all the marshmellows on top and dripping with syrup. Yuck!!! Makes me gag just thinking about it. Me too! YUCK! :p

GraciesMommy
11-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Us Southerners call it Sweet Tator Casserole and it is wonderful!

I can't stand CRANBERRY SAUCE!!!!!!!!GAG

Freckles
11-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Wanna come to my house and partake in some cod fish pickled in lye?:eek: The dreaded stinky, slimy lutefisk:D Even Scandinavians hate it but we eat it....because?:rolleyes:
Sandra, when I was very young, I remember my Swedish grandma soaking out that dried cod in our basement at Christmas time. That part was interesting; at first it looked like bones, then after a few weeks became something that some folks (not me) thought tasted good. I stayed with the potatis korv, which was good! :)

tatsxxx11
11-23-2004, 02:30 PM
God Jul Freckles!

Actually, i really do like lutfisk, when it's smothered in cream sauce! lol! Still slimy but really has no fishy taste!

I make homemade potato korv:D Want me to send you some???;)

slick
11-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Wanna come to my house and partake in some cod fish pickled in lye? The dreaded stinky, slimy lutefisk Even Scandinavians hate it but we eat it....because? We even sing holiday songs about how we all hate to eat the dreaded lutefisk
EWWWWWWWW! I had a friend once that tried to cook this and the more it baked the more it seems to melt into a puddle. Even the dog wouldn't eat it and he was a lab!!! :D

Another favorite, HEADCHEESE, which is not cheese at all, but pickled pig snouts, feet, blood and a host of other good things all held together with gelatin. The original "mystery meat!"
Headcheese is good for you....puts hair in your chest!! :eek: Actually I really like it.

tatsxxx11
11-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Slick, BOIL don't BAKE:D That's where your friend went wrong:D I do like headcheese too, but now that your mention hairy chests, maybe I'll pass this year!:eek: :eek: :eek:

NoahsMommy
11-23-2004, 02:49 PM
Cranberry gel from the can....Mmmmmmm.....I can't wait! I always buy two cans so I make sure I get some at the table.

There isn't much I don't like on Thanksgiving other than stuffing. It just looks gross...and I hate onions and those are usually in there.

Oh, nothing with innards. How gross!!!

smokey the elder
11-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I can't really think of anything that's gross. I like candied yams and cranberry sauce. and sticky stuffing. No lutefisk, though. ;) :p :)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-23-2004, 03:11 PM
I don't like yams or green bean casserole. Also my dad always has to have baked oysters, it looks gross, smells gross, and tastes gross.

slick
11-23-2004, 03:12 PM
I'd rather eat the pickled skunk feet!!!:D
Oh my gosh Richard, I just had a flashback. One Christmas years ago my Dad requested Pork Hocks. :rolleyes: For those of you who don't know, they are actually pigs feet that are boiled and I think Mom added some spices and stuff. It actually was quite good but looked like something my cat brought up. Took a few days to get the stink out of the house. :eek:

...and that was the last time my Mom broke from tradition....

Freckles
11-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Another favorite, HEADCHEESE, which is not cheese at all, but pickled pig snouts, feet, blood and a host of other good things all held together with gelatin. The original "mystery meat!"
When Grandma was still living "down at the beach", I once saw her taking the meat off a pig's head. I didn't watch too long, just knew what she was doing.:( It still tasted good. Mother made it for many years, using more common meats. Isn't also called silta? Or am I thinking of something else? (no longer have family of that generation to ask) :(

"I make homemade potato korv Want me to send you some???"
Tempting, but there is a local market that makes great korv. Thanks, :D

tatsxxx11
11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
You're right Freckles...silta flesk! My mom used the more commonly available meats too...no boiling heads thank goodness! Nice to meet someone that has experienced some of the same holiday traditions as me! Pickled herring anyone?:D

Tonya
11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by slick
Hey, those are my favourite!! :)

Mine?

That disgusting yam casserole with all the marshmellows on top and dripping with syrup. Yuck!!! Makes me gag just thinking about it.

Oh yes, then there was this beet thingy that my Aunt brought for Christmas dinner one year. :eek:

That's my favorite! Especially when the marshmellows get a little crispy on top! Lots and lots of butter.

Tonya
11-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Oh, my least favorite is my Filipino grandma's salsa dish. The salsa is fishy and she puts the fish heads in it for flavor. The eyes stare up at you. It's sooooooo disgusting!

RedHedd
11-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Pickled herring anyone?:D A Russian holiday tradition. I actually kind of like it.

cookieluver7
11-23-2004, 04:37 PM
hmm... my uncle makes this discusting spinach dip. It is so gross!

lynnestankard
11-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Yes Debbie - there called sweet potatoes and yams here too - but with marshmallow and syrup????

Cranberries - now your talking - I adore cranberries - make pints of my own cranberry sauce. Love cranberry juice too (nice with vodka..........errr........barkeep? DOTD?!)

I remember my Grandad eating pigs trotters when I was a little girl - not at Christmas - any time of year. Oh yes and cow heels - now their disgusting and slimy - but my Mum always put one in her Hot Pot (Lancashire dish of lamb, vegetables and potatoes) said it gave it 'body' - yuk - slimy object!!

Pickled herring - NO - I've tried them and they really don't sit well with me.:eek: :eek:

Do like bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon for brekky on Christmas Day - with champagne - yummy.

Lynne

slick
11-23-2004, 05:11 PM
cow heels - now their disgusting and slimy - but my Mum always put one in her Hot Pot (Lancashire dish of lamb, vegetables and potatoes) said it gave it 'body' - yuk - slimy object!!
Double EWWWWWW!!!
My Dad was born in Liverpool but came to Canada when he was about 6 months old, however something must have clicked because he always wanted to try out these things. Poor Mom would go to great lengths to prepare a special English dish and Dad would always say how good it tasted even though it was disgusting. Oh yes, and he LOVED pickled herring and always served it up in an appy dish for Christmas. Yuck!

wolflady
11-23-2004, 05:43 PM
...Ok, here's one I'll bet few of you have heard of. ...Wanna come to my house and partake in some cod fish pickled in lye?:eek: The dreaded stinky, slimy lutefisk:D Even Scandinavians hate it but we eat it....because?:rolleyes: We even sing holiday songs about how we all hate to eat the dreaded lutefisk:D Another favorite, HEADCHEESE, which is not cheese at all, but pickled pig snouts, feet, blood and a host of other good things all held together with gelatin. The original "mystery meat!" Guess there's a reason why Norweigans are called "squareheads"

YUK! This all sounds pretty gross to me! I would say it ranks up there with haggis....I mean really...who eats haggis and enjoys it??! :confused: I remember we used to get it for my grandfather for Thanksgiving because he liked it. Yuk!

Luckily, our Thanksgiving dinners don't usually contain anything gross these days. :)

LOL Thanks for the chuckle this afternoon...some of these descriptions are so funny!:p

carole
11-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Nothing, everything is absolutely delicious because we cater to everyone's needs, and no-one brings anything that we dislike, yummy , yummy, yummy.:D

christa
11-23-2004, 09:08 PM
I like the sweet potato casserole . . . sounds like you all have had some from a syrup-happy cook! Depends on who makes it I guess. Go easy on the butter & sugar and it's not so bad.

I HATE the cranberry sauce. Who eats it? I swear, my family always puts it out and it doesn't get touched. What's the point?

Sevens
11-23-2004, 10:25 PM
I am just laughing my butt off from all of these descriptions! I almost fell out of my computer chair!

Tonya, I can completely relate to that fish staring at you thing. We had dinner with my in laws, who are originally from the Carribean. They had whole fish for dinner, each of us had a whole fish on our plates. When they saw me staring at the fish and I was completely pale, they said "What's wrong?" Brian said "She doesn't eat fish with the head still on". His mom just grabbed a butcher knife and WHAM, off came the head. And then she put it on her plate! Ewww!

I'm just hoping they don't have rum cake for dessert this year. They use rum in the batter. Then while the cake is baking, they baste it in rum. When it is finished and you are supposed to flip the cake out of the pan to cool on a rack, instead they flip it into another pan filled with rum. They don't allow people to eat it if they are driving home. Can you imagine getting a DUI because of cake?

Tonya
11-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Sevens
I am just laughing my butt off from all of these descriptions! I almost fell out of my computer chair!

Tonya, I can completely relate to that fish staring at you thing. We had dinner with my in laws, who are originally from the Carribean. They had whole fish for dinner, each of us had a whole fish on our plates. When they saw me staring at the fish and I was completely pale, they said "What's wrong?" Brian said "She doesn't eat fish with the head still on". His mom just grabbed a butcher knife and WHAM, off came the head. And then she put it on her plate! Ewww!

I'm just hoping they don't have rum cake for dessert this year. They use rum in the batter. Then while the cake is baking, they baste it in rum. When it is finished and you are supposed to flip the cake out of the pan to cool on a rack, instead they flip it into another pan filled with rum. They don't allow people to eat it if they are driving home. Can you imagine getting a DUI because of cake?

Yeah, there is just something wrong about staring into the eyes of whatever you are eating. An uncle of mine owns a Filipino catering service, so at the big parties, he normally brings a pig. The poor thing is staring at us, snout and all. I can't eat him!

Mmmmm, the rum cake sounds good though!

lovemyshiba
11-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Eeeeew!!
Some of these dishes sound awful!!

I love sweet potatoes/yams--but I don't do them with the marshmallows--just butter and brown sugar--yummy:D

Not much I don't like of thanksgiving dinner, except the dark meat from the turkey and cranberry sauce.

Tonya
11-23-2004, 11:40 PM
My grandmother puts pineapple in the sweet potato dish. I think it ruins the flavor.

Shelteez2
11-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Well.... our Thanksgiving is over already... but I don't like turkey....
not a big fan of mushed potatoes.....don't like stuffing.....or cranberry sauce..... I actually don't eat much on thanksgiving. LOL

lynnestankard
11-24-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
Yeah, there is just something wrong about staring into the eyes of whatever you are eating.

OMG!! Reminds me of one of our French holidays. I ordered trout in a very nice restaurant - and it came with it's head on.
I almost lost it there and then!! Arrggghhhh!!
'Course Don and the girls that it was hilarious - but that darn fish was watching me:eek: :eek: So I covered it's head with a lettuce leaf and plonked a tomato on top too - just for good luck!
Then I noticed the waiter - hovering - - he'd come to fillet the fish for me - why didn't they do all that yucky stuff in the kitchen?? :confused: :confused:

Why does no one like cranberries?

Lynne

cloverfdx
11-24-2004, 05:47 AM
I am just going to skip strait to Christmas ;). I cannot stand Prawns (Shrimp) last year everyone bought Prawns so we ended up with kilograms of the buggers :eek:. There is nothing else realy that i dislike about Christmas dinner.

Some of those foods realy do sound terrible *Gag*.

Jods
11-24-2004, 07:20 AM
I don't like yams, stuffing,dark meat or cranberry sauce....

I love turnip and everything else we serve...:)

lbaker
11-24-2004, 07:24 AM
My sweet potato cassarole is more of a souffle and my family loves it. Whip the taters up real smooth with some brown sugar, a splash of orange juice (original recipe calls for a dab of Grand Marnier too.) It's southern style so throw in some pecans, nutmeg, cinnamon etc but NOT TOO MUCH. But then, gently fold in some beaten egg whites to really "souffle" it up. Pour into a buttered cassarole dish and bake. I like to add raisens but some don't. I do top it with mini-marshmallows - browned on the top in the broiler for a minute. That's mostly to get the kids to eat it :rolleyes: This may sound weird * oh, imagine THAT Laurie * but one side dish of saurkraut to serve with the turkey and gravy is a special treat my mom, brother & I used to love. Now Jenny and I are the only ones that will eat it. Here close to the Chesapeake Bay another family thing was always to start with Eastern Shore "He-oyster" stew. Yep... I'm weird :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
11-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by cloverfdx
I am just going to skip strait to Christmas ;). I cannot stand Prawns (Shrimp) last year everyone bought Prawns so we ended up with kilograms of the buggers :eek:. There is nothing else realy that i dislike about Christmas dinner.

Some of those foods realy do sound terrible *Gag*.

You can send me all the prawns...*YUM* They're good in Thai food, or just boiled and eaten.

slick
11-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by lbaker
"He-oyster" stew. Yep... I'm weird :rolleyes:
:confused: :confused: Does the "male" species taste better than the "female" species??:eek:

lbaker
11-24-2004, 10:36 AM
It ain't the arsters it's the eaters! (on the Eastern Shore oysters are pronounced arsters ;) ). He-arster soup, or stew is simply made with a bunch more of the slippery little devils.. and boy is it good :D

Tonya
11-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Shrimp and prawns are disgusting. They're little centipedes that live in water. I don't eat bugs. :o

wolflady
11-24-2004, 11:18 AM
My sweet potato cassarole is more of a souffle and my family loves it. Whip the taters up real smooth with some brown sugar, a splash of orange juice (original recipe calls for a dab of Grand Marnier too.) It's southern style so throw in some pecans, nutmeg, cinnamon etc but NOT TOO MUCH. But then, gently fold in some beaten egg whites to really "souffle" it up. Pour into a buttered cassarole dish and bake. I like to add raisens but some don't. I do top it with mini-marshmallows - browned on the top in the broiler for a minute. That's mostly to get the kids to eat it :rolleyes: ...

Yum, this sounds good! :)

RICHARD
11-24-2004, 11:26 AM
Hokay,

People who like sweet potatoes and hate shrimp are wearing me out.....;)

I'm waiting for a fruitcake hater to post....

Or, am I the only one????:D

Lynne,
You have to remember that the fish is past the point of being able to use his eyes when he shows up on your plate!:eek: :confused: :D

slick
11-24-2004, 11:30 AM

Fruitcake, mince pies, pumpkin pies....as far as I'm concerned they are "fit for the pit"...but then again I don't eat sweet foods anyway.

As for the shrimp...pass them my way. I'll do you a favour. :)

wolflady
11-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Hokay,

People who like sweet potatoes and hate shrimp are wearing me out.....;)

Lynne,
You have to remember that the fish is past the point of being able to use his eyes when he shows up on your plate!:eek: :confused: :D

LOL LOL Who really likes fruitcake anyway? Yuk! Those gross jellied fruits and whatever the brown substance around it is...is just not right. Fruitcake usually doesn't come out until the Christmas holidays for my family. My mom is the only one that likes it :rolleyes: LOL

Shrimp? I love shrimp! Slick and I can share...;) LOL

smokey the elder
11-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Fruitcake is vile. There. :D :p

lbaker
11-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Hey Slick, when we were in Seattle didn't they hang one of those tasty shrimpies on our glass instead of a lime when we ordered Bloodies! Wow! What a neat idea! I think I've heard that in a few places they have a fruit cake toss with catapults and stuff after Christmas. Talk about weapons of mass distruction :eek: Even the dogs won't eat fruit cake.

micki76
11-24-2004, 12:36 PM

Loooovvvvee good fruitcake, but the cheap stuff is gross!

Shrimp? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/micki76/Smilies/zpuke.gif

slick
11-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey Slick, when we were in Seattle didn't they hang one of those tasty shrimpies on our glass instead of a lime when we ordered Bloodies!
Yup.....they came with a skewer with a shrimpy and a cherry tomato. Delish!!!

I didn't know there were so many shrimp haters in the crowd. Oh well, all the more for me....:p

CathyBogart
11-24-2004, 12:51 PM
I can proudly say I have never eaten fruitcake! Last year was the first year we ever had yam casserole, and YUCK! I don't think it will reappear this year, nobody cared for it much.

Everything else is GREAT though, I dunno, my family has a lot of good cooks. :)

lbaker
11-24-2004, 12:52 PM
I can understand anchovy haters but shrimp!! Shrimp and lobster are two of my most favorite things. Oh, maybe it's the difference between folks that live on the coast and those that live in between.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
LOL LOL Who really likes fruitcake anyway? Yuk

Shrimp? I love shrimp! Slick and I can share...;) LOL

Hey! I LOVE fruitcake!!! Not the icky kind like Richard was talking about but the good kind we used to make at the bakery, with lots of RUM and BRANDY!

I hate shrimp! OOOOuuuuu, fish bait! I'll trade you any shrimp I come across for your fruitcake! :D

lbaker
11-24-2004, 01:01 PM
See! That's what I mean, MOFF is from Kansas and Micki lives in Texas. Not much fresh seafood in either I'm guessing. (well, along the gulf coast of Texas I suppose). Slick, Wolflady and I all live close to the ocean... by the way Micki76, your little barfing icon is hysterical :D

catland
11-24-2004, 01:33 PM
eww - those pearl onions sound disgusting.

My mom used to like to make lime jello (or was it lemon jello) with shredded carrots and celery in it (a norwegian version of a vegetable?). She'd then get little desert plates and place a piece of lettuce on it and plop some of the jello on top and we'd each get our own plate. Not really disgusting, more like unnessary and odd.

Lutefisk (cod in lye) is definately at the top of my list of icky things. My parents like it, none of us kids would ever touch it. Yes, one year my cat wouldn't even go near it. Funny thing though, I just bought a jar of pickled herring last night. One of those on top a triscuit - yummy. Plus my husband doesn't like them so I get the whole jar to myself.:D

I also love cranberries. I like homemade cranberry sauce instead of the stuff from the can. I'm also making a spinach salad for tomorrow that calls for dried cranberries.

Most of all, I love the stuffing. My favorite thing to do is put the potatoes, dark meat turkey, and stuffing all together, and then pouring gravy over the entire thing.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-24-2004, 02:45 PM
See! That's what I mean, MOFF is from Kansas and Micki lives in Texas. Not much fresh seafood in either I'm guessing. (well, along the gulf coast of Texas I suppose). Slick, Wolflady and I all live close to the ocean... by the way Micki76, your little barfing icon is hysterical :D Yea, fish around here taste really FISHY! My dad took a trip to the east coast once and tried the seafood. He loved it. He agreed that it tasts lots better there then here. Our freshwater fish is pretty good but shrimp ...
BLAH!!!! :eek: I don't think shrimps grow in Kansas much? Other than me, that is.;)

lynnestankard
11-24-2004, 04:19 PM

Lynne,

OH YES IT CAN!!!! THEY LOOK RIGHT AT YOU!! ARGH!!!
:D :D :D

Now Shrimps - who's got all these shrimpies they want to find a home for - I'LL TAKE 'EM!!! Yep, I adore shrimp. Who fancies a Shrimp Party - Slick, MOFF, Micki????

AND fruit cake -especially if it has the layer of marzipan on top (not to keen on the icing!)
Don't like it messed with - just real good quality rich fruit cake (raisins, currants, cherries, nuts and sultanas!) and the blast of brandy!!

Lynne

RICHARD
11-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Lynne,

(Time for the dumb American to ask for a favor....)

Now, I could look up 'sultana' in the dictionary but it's far more interesting if you would explain it like Nigella, you know....with the cute accent???:D

QueenScoopalot
11-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Save some shrimp for me too guys! I love shrimp. Cranberry sauce bleck, fruit cake *GAG* Pecan pie yuck. Now squash pie on the other hand..MMMmmmmm. It doesn't seem to exist anymore though. :(

slick
11-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Now, I could look up 'sultana' in the dictionary but it's far more interesting if you would explain it like Nigella, you know....with the cute accent???:D
Are you still on that Nigella thing??? Good grief....should I email you a picture??? :rolleyes: :D

lynnestankard
11-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Lynne,

(Time for the dumb American to ask for a favor....)

You and your Nigella fixation!!! She's lost quite a bit of weight - but still looks fabulous. You know she re-married???
Sultana - dried white grape - very like a raisin but paler.

Lynne

lbaker
11-25-2004, 02:33 PM
:confused: I thought this was Icky Food and now it's bimbo's :confused: :eek: :D

lynnestankard
11-25-2004, 03:34 PM
He he he he Laurie - but she is a cooking bimbo!!!!

Lynne

slick
11-25-2004, 03:39 PM
You and your Nigella fixation!!!
:D :D
I think he likes the accent along with the "sensual" way she describes food. Hey, let it be. We all need our fantasies.;)

Have you ever heard her describe the taste of her chocolate cake? It should be censored! :eek:

lbaker
11-26-2004, 06:34 AM
ICKY BIMBOS, great name for a rock band :D I'll play the kazoo, anyone sing?

HoRsELUvR
11-26-2004, 07:50 AM
Cranberry sauce is inedible to me.And I dont like sweet potatoes much either.Ill eat pretty much anything at Thanksgiving besides that.

Lilith Cherry
11-26-2004, 08:39 AM
Well I don't have thanksgiving here but I brought a home-made fruit cake with me for Christmas and had to leave more cakes at home for my kids..... rich, fruity and lethal for drivers it has so much brandy in it!

I love shrimp and out here I buy it live and thrashing around in the bag; then I have to share it with a couple of yowly cats when I cook it!:D

Lynne, if you think fish eyes are a problem, all fish here is served whole and the eyes are considered a delicacy so I am often given the option to eat them as a guest:eek:

The worst thing I have had to face though was a LIVE lobster waving its claws and antennae at me while it was being eaten!!! (Not by me!)Lobster is delicious but NOT that way! At least it wasn't cat or dog thank goodness! I once asked a class of high school students if they liked cats and one bright spark at the back of the class said, "Yes, they're delicious!"

lbaker
11-26-2004, 08:43 AM
* QUICKLY NOW, GROUP EWWWWWW! * Icky is one thing, gross and disgusting is quite another. yech.

cloverfdx
11-26-2004, 08:48 AM
My mom used to like to make lime jello (or was it lemon jello) with shredded carrots and celery in it (a norwegian version of a vegetable?). She'd then get little desert plates and place a piece of lettuce on it and plop some of the jello on top and we'd each get our own plate. Not really disgusting, more like unnessary and odd.
LOL too funny, what and odd mixture of foods. :D

*Everyone please take the shrimp/ prawns* They are awfull, even Yumi wont eat them :eek:.