PDA

View Full Version : A Mother's Love - and Offer

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-23-2004, 11:33 AM
I talk to my mom about once a week or so. So needless to say, this last Sunday I told her everything that has happened with Tubby. I had also emailed her the links to the threads I posted here, but I know she doesn't read the whole thread and probably hadn't seen all the updates I've posted.

So last night she calls. We decided to head up there for Thanksgiving day, so I thought she was calling about that. But before I could say anything, she starts saying "This is not a happy call" and I'm thinking "Oh God, what happened to my dad.." and then she goes on about how, if I wanted, when we come up Thursday, we could bring Tubby, all his stuff and all his meds, and we'd leave him there. She would take care of him for as long as necessary and do whatever I wanted to keep him alive (like the fluids and stuff) and when she felt it was time, she would have him PTS and spread his ashes in the woods behind their house.

What she was trying to do was spare me the agony of watching Tubby in his final days, and the pain of having to make that dreadful decision. She also knows how busy I am and was probably thinking it would be better for me - and less stressful - if I didn't have to deal with nursing him back to health.

I know it was hard for her to make this offer because we kinda don't talk about things like that as much as we should - you know, things that make us hurt - and I know she was only trying to ease her baby's (me) hurt, so I thought it was a wonderful offer.

I thanked her profusely and told her how much I appreciate the offer, and how I'll keep it in mind and everything, but....no thanks. ;) Then I proceeded to tell her how he had finally eaten on his own and she said. "Oh that's great! Maybe I should have let you talk first." ;) Then we proceeded to get on with the planning of Thanksgiving dinner.

I will definitely thank her again and give her a big hug when we're there Thursday. She really is the best mom anyone could have. :D

NoahsMommy
11-23-2004, 11:37 AM
What a kind gesture. :)

You have a very sweet mother, but I think I knew that, you'd have to have a good one, because you're so wonderful yourself, Debbie.

:)

Cataholic
11-23-2004, 11:48 AM
How very sweet, Debbie.

slick
11-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Ah Mothers. What would we do without them? I'm ashamed to say that I only speak to Mom every couple of weeks even though she's only a 15 min drive from me, but when I'm working she leaves me a message every day just to let me know that she's OK. Would love to share some stories...but they don't belong in public. :D :D She's speaks very frankly about any subject at all.

Debbie, your Mom sounds as loving as mine is. When you see her please give her a hug from me because I thank her for giving YOU to us.:) :)

Edit: At this time, I'd like to send a special prayer to those who do not have a Mom in their life right now. Perhaps you never knew your Mom or maybe she has passed on. {{{HUGS}}} to you.

shais_mom
11-23-2004, 11:56 AM
what a wonderful selfless offer!!
I am so glad Tubby is doing better!

catlover4ever
11-23-2004, 12:09 PM
There is no love like a mother's love. That was so kind and compassionate of her to do so. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

K & L
11-23-2004, 12:14 PM
How thoughtful and caring of your mom! It's nice to know we have someone when the time is needed! Thank goodness that time isn't here for you! Give your mom a big hug for me!

Barbara
11-23-2004, 12:18 PM
How sweet of her:)

But our cats being our children, we will accompany them as far as the way goes:)

sirrahbed
11-23-2004, 12:21 PM
THAT one got me crying. That was so sweet and you are right that she was trying to spare her baby some pain. Wow. If only we really could!!

catnapper
11-23-2004, 12:24 PM
You have the sweetest mom! That is so thoughtful and loving. Give her a hug from me too!

Lastly, she is wonderful for getting ont the internet and sending email and such! My mom is only 51, but doesn't have the first clue how to turn the computer on. Last night, I said my brother was sending me pictures, and she said, well, it might be faster to have me pick them up and bring them over Thanksgiving... I said "Mom, he's E-MAILING them to me! I should have them tonight!" She's like "Oh, I keep forgetting you can do that stuff these days."

Edwina's Secretary
11-23-2004, 12:52 PM
My mother...who is also the "you don't talk about it" kind...would make the same offer....she drove 90 miles so that Edwina would not be alone her first night with us (both Don and I had to be out of town...)

Love is expressed so many ways!

Vio&Juni
11-23-2004, 02:10 PM
That brought tears to my eyes. I am glad Tubby is feeling better.

When Naomi died, my mom only told me after two weeks, she wanted to make it easier for me. I cried for two days, but otherwise I would have cried for two weeks :(

Corinna
11-23-2004, 05:00 PM
What a great mom. :)

lynnestankard
11-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Oh Debbie - I'm in tears here - feeling very 'Mummy' myself at the moment with all thats going on.

Just reading what your wonderful Mum is willing to do. Not a more caring and loving Mum could she be - she's one special lady - give her a BIG {{{Hugs}}}.

Love Lynne xxx

jenluckenbach
11-23-2004, 06:09 PM
What a thoughtful, selfless gesture from your mom. {{{{HUGS}}}} w

GraciesMommy
11-23-2004, 07:11 PM
This tugged my heart strings...what a wonderful mom you have..that is an awesome gesture...

rg_girlca
11-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Yup, that definitely tugged the heart strings.

What a loving Mom you have there Debbie.

AmberLee
11-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Crying little happy tears for you and your mom, Debbie.

jazzcat
11-23-2004, 10:04 PM
That made me cry so hard for so many reasons. You have a wonderful mother Debbie. Cherish your time with her.

petslover
11-23-2004, 10:06 PM
What your mom did was very thoughful.

catcrazylady
11-24-2004, 05:46 AM
That was a very kind offer Debbie. Now we know how you became so wonderful.:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-24-2004, 07:23 AM
What a sweet mom!! Our mom's are so precious! I love my mom very much too! She did so much for me. She is 81 now, and very sick with MS :(

catmandu
11-24-2004, 08:52 AM
That was so great,of your Mom,and that is what Moms,are for,to be there when you really need them.I wish my Mother,could be with me,to see The Siamese Squad,as she loved the Siamese Cat.

rosethecopycat
11-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Edit: At this time, I'd like to send a special prayer to those who do not have a Mom in their life right now. Perhaps you never knew your Mom or maybe she has passed on. {{{HUGS}}} to you. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you.
That would be me. She passed when I was 5.
I was lucky enough to find a mom-like friend though.

We've been together over 30 years now.
Only 1100 miles apart.

Rose

moosmom
11-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Debbie,

Aren't Moms the best??? What a wonderful thing to offer. I'm so sorry you're going through such a tough time with Tubby. It's difficult to watch a loved one (human or otherwise) go through such a tough time and feel so helpless. Ya know what? I'd bring Tubby anyway. Give him his own little Thanksgiving feast of turkey and let him enjoy the company.

BTW girl, your story has me crying in a public library!!! My contacts are about ready to flow outta my eyes!!

Have a great holiday. I'll be thinking of you and your gang.

(((hugs)

moosmom
11-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Rose,

Thanks for the special tribute. My Mom passed away when I was 19 from cancer. She was oly 44.

It has become my tradition to place a Christmas log on her grave with a mylar balloon to let her know she will always be in my heart. Unfortunately, I'm now 663 miles away and won't be able to. But I have this wonderful friend whom I've know for over 30 years. He has taken over the tradition and I love him for it and miss him terribly.

Happy Thanksgiving Mom (and Dad). :( The ache in my heart will never go away.

okay, now it's time to go home and take out my contacts from all the tears.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Rose.