PDA

View Full Version : From Cindy's Owners

AllCritters
01-15-2001, 03:43 PM
My name is Lee Corbridge, DVM, Robin and I personally own and live with Cindy and Romeo.

I would like to first off thank PetOfTheDay.com for selecting Cindy as one of their Pet Of The Day. It truly is a great opportunity to share our love for these wonderful animals.

We knew that exposing our beautiful Cindy to the world would bring out many who do not share our appreciation and love for exotic pet ownership. As Robin said in her info sheet, owning exotic animals is not for everyone. I completely agree with that statement.

Our goal is to help rescue and protect these animals from what man has already done to them. Cindy has never been, nor ever was, wild. She was captive breed and raised. The breeder that we got her from had a history of selling these cats to hunting clubs. We paid the price to rescue her from a fate worse than death. Romeo was scheduled to be put to sleep unless we took him, he was free to a good home. We have rescued 3 other cougars who were in harms way, and we found homes for them in a very secure and safe environment.

We do not breed, we do not show, and we do not encourage the breeding of exotics for private ownership. There simply are already far too many animals out there who need good homes already.

We strongly encourage ownership of these animals by individuals who have the knowledge and financial resources to keep these animals safe and healthy. We strongly encourage the elimination of breeding stock from individuals who breed these animals for profit. It’s simple, rescue those cats out there today, before we start to breed more for tomorrow.

Many Animal Rights individuals have a very opinionated position on exotic ownership. I respect their right to their opinions and welcome their comments. I simply do not share with them their position. Cindy and Romeo was never wild, they were both born in captivity. If released into the wild they would die of starvation within weeks, they simply cannot provide for themselves.

In a society where we euthanize over 20 million cats and dogs every year, I simply think that the Animal Rights Activists could be more productive in their efforts if they were to direct their energies towards helping to provide better spay and neuter clinics. I am appalled that of all of the money that they generate from people who think that their money is going towards helping animals, over 90% of the funds is spent towards sending out requests to raise more money. I find this to be unacceptable.

Robin and I help to rescue large cats. We just don’t talk about it, we do it! We have always been condemned for our efforts because of the nature of the work. We accept that as being part of the job. A job that provides us with the greatest sense of satisfaction. We ask for nothing in return, simply because we are rewarded everyday by the love we receive from our animals.

Our decision to share with you our love for Cindy and Romeo was a total success. We have enjoyed sharing them with everyone here on PetOfTheDay. We hope that you have enjoyed our family.

Lee Corbridge,DVM http://www.allcritters.com

tatsxxx11
01-15-2001, 04:22 PM
Thank you for sharing your beautiful Cindy and Romeo with us, and for providing welcome and informative clarification of their history, as well as the plight of other exotic cats. Your efforts to rescue these beautiful animals are to be commended.

Elizabeth
01-15-2001, 06:33 PM
Thank you, thank you for rescuing these wonderful animals. I would love to see an end to these "hunting clubs". They make me sick. I think just punishment for these "men" would be to place them in an enclosure (without any weapons) with these animals (with their teeth and claws) and see who comes out alive! Mighty men indeed!

lhg0962
01-15-2001, 07:24 PM
Hi Lee and Robin, as well as Karen and Paul,
I would like to thank you for clarifying the true facts about the adoption of these cougars. Unfortunately, reading the upbeat story attached with the photograph was probably a little misleading. I read it several times before replying and still never understood that Cindy was taken as a rescue pet. I would like to know more about the situation that caused it, as well as who was prompted to remove her claws. But I understand under these circumstances, you have no choice, but to keep her and care for her as best as possible and I am glad you do. I'm sure you understand why such strong reaction erupted. I personally was very upset that this cougar could be selected as the Pet of the Day without some sort of explanation from the moderators on this site. Obviously, you have all (including Karen) relieved my concerns in this situation. Just hope that all the folks that look at the picture and read the original story go a step further and read your later post. I'm concerned that some people don't do that as a habit.
Thank you again for the clarification and hope you will understand our misunderstanding of the story as stated originally. We are all pet lovers and only want the best for all of the furry guys, no matter what species.
Logan Givens

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited January 15, 2001).]

Angels3
01-16-2001, 12:52 AM
Thank you, Karen & Paul, for allowing this issue to be raised and for giving people the opportunity to put forward their points of view.
Thank you, Lee & Robin, for explaining Cindy's particular circumstances so clearly and for courteously respecting the position of those who do not agree with you.

tatsxxx11
01-16-2001, 07:26 AM
Yes. Thank you Karen and Paul for allowing Cindy's family the opportunity to further clarify their role in rescuing these beautiful animals. As "Doc" said, it was their hope that Cindy's selection as Pet of the Day would incite some meaningful discussion of the plight of these creatures. I think they were successful!! And thank you Cindy's family for so courteously and calmly allowing all to voice their opinions. As many have said, we are all animal lovers and respond only out of love and concern for all living creatures. Perhaps after reading your informative reply to their concerns, we all will better understand, respect and even applaud your motivations.

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited January 16, 2001).]