PDA

View Full Version : Basie...what a moody boy!!

NoahsMommy
11-22-2004, 09:11 PM
The last week or so, Basie has been a real MONSTER! He's been tormenting all the cats, even Noah!

I can't give him his pills anymore (allergy/asthma) because he screams like he's being murdered and bites!

On Friday's my friend (their vet) comes over for dinner. He was limping after chasing Sami into one of the small cat trees, so she grabbed him to make sure he was OK. He WAILED!! He normally jumps up and demands to be rubbed every time she comes over. This time, he growled, hissed, swiped at her and wailed the whole time.

Sunday morning, I awoke at 6:16 a.m. to Basie in the trash can (that he knocked down) eating all the contents, including chocolate cake!!! :eek:

We've decided not to give him any people food. He used to understand he was to wait until we were done and then he'd get something. Now, he swipes at us and our plates. He's totally bratty lately.

Tonight he jumped up on my lap, purred, and kneaded my leg. He usually purrs when we pet him, but he hasn't kneaded in a very, very long time. Maybe since he was a kitten?

Is he maturing into the bratty pants he's always going to be??

rg_girlca
11-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Wow, I don't have any advice but just want to say that i'm sorry you are having to go through this with Basie.

Was your vet friend able to give you any idea why Basie is behaving like this?

I hope and pray that this is only short term and he returns to his normal self real soon.

catnapper
11-22-2004, 10:07 PM
It must be the weather, because Pouncer was doing the same thing. I was chalking it up to stress, but now I don't know because it sounds identical to what Pouncer put me through. He growled, hissed, was very aloof... refused to let me cuddle, even after tempting him with treats. :eek: Then he litterally shredded me to pieces when I tried to clip his nails. The more he fussed, the madder I got and more determined to get those nails clipped... needless to say that when the job was done, there were two very unhappy people (um, one unhappy person, and one unhappy kitty)and one of us had a lot of blood loss (take a guess as to which one of us THAT was :rolleyes: )

slick
11-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Well, none of my kitties are doing this...but then again they are comatose most of the time. LOL Sleeping is what they know and do best.

How old is Basie?? It's really strange that he would suddenly act this way. Could it be that yes, he is maturing and "testing" you?

lynnestankard
11-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Awww Basie - why are you doing this to your Meowmie?

Poor Kelly - just wondering if he's perhaps hurt himself and is in pain? Or just being a little B*%%$£!!!!

Hope things improve.

Lynne

catmandu
11-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Sometimes Cats,when they are bored,will do this,and what you need,is some new toys,to stimulate him.

NoahsMommy
11-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Basie is 2 years old, he'll be 3 this May.

I think you're right, Gary. Something new to stimulate his mind would be good. Thanks for the idea. :)

wolflady
11-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Hmmm...Kelly, that is strange behavior. He almost seems like he's acting out because something is wrong. I certainly hope that is not the case, but it might be worth it to check to make sure everything is ok. Did your vet friend examine him? This just seems too out of character for Basie, so something must be triggering this behavior. Let us know how your little bratty is doing today! ;)

**hugs**
Karen

NoahsMommy
11-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by wolflady
This just seems too out of character for Basie, so something must be triggering this behavior.
This isn't out of character, its just worse than usual. He's usually a brat...hence his nickname "Bratty". ;) hee hee

She check his paw and she said it was a little tender and to watch it. He's been fine ever since. Last night he vomited a bit of dry food, but it was whole, so I think it was a scarf and barf thing.

He's got too much energy lately. Maybe it is the weather?

wolflady
11-23-2004, 11:02 AM
:o LOL LOL I always thought he was pretty nice! LOL Maybe it's his good behavior when guests are visiting mode. If it's typical, then perhaps it is the weather. Things are starting to cool down (at least up here) and perhaps the crazies are abounding! LOL ;) I know Sergei's coat is starting to fill out for the winter! His ruff is starting to get so full! :)
**hugs**

NoahsMommy
11-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by wolflady
:o LOL LOL I always thought he was pretty nice! LOL Maybe it's his good behavior when guests are visiting mode.

I know Sergei's coat is starting to fill out for the winter! His ruff is starting to get so full! :)
**hugs**

That's exactly it! He's the perfect gentleman around guests. He's so ignored by his horrible hoomans, he needs pets from everyone. ;) Even our vet was shocked with his behavior because he's usually very sweet to people. She's also the only one that can get that darn pill down his throat, so I wonder if that had anything to do with his break down? Poor Bissy!

Sergei's getting fuzzier??? AWWWW!!! Give him lots of kisses and cuddles for me. :)

cruisetime
11-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Meka was acting so strange too and I was real worried last week. I thought stress but now I think it is in the air!!! It seems a lot of cats lately have been acting out of sorts. Do you think it could be the weather??? Debbie