PDA

View Full Version : My li'l Sox slept away today

Medusa
11-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Hi,
I took my li'l Sox in to be spayed and she didn't make it through the anesthesia. I feel as though I sent her to her death. Finally a rescue agency called me and they wanted me to take her to another town to have her spayed to save money on the cost of the surgery. Rather than do that, I took her to a local vet (because mine was booked for over a week) and it would've been easier to pick her up after surgery and bring her home to recuperate. But the sweet little baby couldn't hold her own. I've been so upset all day; all I've done is cry.

Please send some prayers out to her. I want so much to hold her one last time and tell her I love her and that I'm sorry.

Blessings,
M

slick
11-22-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm so so sorry! Please don't blame yourself. God must have needed her for some special task at the RB.

RIP Sox. :(

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-22-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm SO sorry about Sox!! :( Don't blame yourself either; it wasn't your fault!! Like 'Slick' said...God must have a plan for her and you. I know how it is to lose a cat, and I miss my little Snowball and Blackie a lot. (((HUGS)))

kimlovescats
11-22-2004, 09:50 PM
I am so very sorry about your Sox .... how terribly sad! :(
She felt no pain though, and you were an Angel on earth to her while she was here. Rest in Peace sweet Sox.

(((HUGS)))

AmberLee
11-23-2004, 12:57 AM
What a shock! So sorry to hear of your loss.

Scamper happily at the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Sox!

catlover4ever
11-23-2004, 07:14 AM
OMG:( :( I am so sorry, but know that it was not your fault. You were being a very responsible pet owner and you were doing the right thing by having her spayed. God surely needed her for a special job in Heaven.

catmandu
11-23-2004, 09:17 AM
That is terrible,to pass on at a Vets! RIP Sox.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Oh how awful, and how horribly sad. Poor little Sox. But I have to agree that God had better plans for her and she is now a happy healthy kitting romping around at RB.

RIP sweet little Sox. :(

smokey the elder
11-23-2004, 09:25 AM
I'm so sorry that happened to Sox. RIP, kitty.

catmandu
11-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Do not feel guilty,please,as all Vets,use the same procedures,and it was just,taht either they bungled,the job,or Sox,was just not strong enough.It is hard enough,losing an older Cat,but to lose a Potential Great Cat,like Sox,is heartbreaking.The Found Cats angels,are keeping thier eyes open,for Sox,who because she passed on so early,will be one of Gods Eternal Kittens,and be lively,and playful throughout Eternity,and Sox,will still be a Kitten,when you are reunited!

Cataholic
11-23-2004, 10:51 AM
I am so very sorry to hear about Sox. Please don't blame yourself. I am sure Sox knew how much she was loved. Special hugs for you at this very difficult time. RIP, Sweet Sox. Play happily at the RB, and wait for meowmie.

rosethecopycat
11-23-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm sorry. Sometimes these things happen with anesthesia. it is heartbreaking not to get to say goodbye. She knew you loved her.

Godspeed to the bridge, little Sox.

Medusa
11-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. It was a long, rough night but the light of day always makes things better. I'm still sniffling somewhat because I can't get little Sox' face out of my mind. She was an adorable tiger w/white paws, thus her name.

I guess I feel so bad because she was a feral cat but so sweet. She hardly ever let me hold her but when she did, she purred like a little motor boat. I feel so sad that she'll never get to snuggle in w/my other kitties, curl up in bed w/me, drink water out of the faucet (my Peeka's favorite thing besides chicken) or feel the contentment and safety of a warm, loving home.

And the vet was just brutal. No apology, no comment. Even when I went to get Sox, when the vet saw me, she shrunk back behind a wall and I heard her whisper to one of her assistants. They brought out the other kitten, Mooka, that I had taken in w/Sox and who was scheduled next for spaying. (I told the vet not to touch her!) Then, as I was carrying Mooka in her carrier to my car, they brought Sox out in a box. Still no apology, no explanation, nothing. When I got her home, she was lying in a pool of urine. So, I don't know if perhaps she was still alive and they didn't bother to check her vitals to be sure. Or if her bladder let loose (as it does when one passes away). But if the latter is the case, they didn't even care enough to clean her up and dry her off. What an undignified way to leave this world. Even though no one at the vet's office said so, I believe it's because Sox was feral and therefore, in their eyes, not worthy of concern. My old vet, who is now retired, would have been so compassionate. He would have taken me in his office and talked to me and made sure I was alright before I left. And he would have had me leave by another exit, not in full view of everybody in the waiting room. There were several people there, all smiles and happy because they were taking their fur babies in for routine checkups. I stood there, tears streaming down my face, and the vet tech asked me "Do you need instructions for further care of Sox?" I glared at her and said "WHAT???" Then another vet tech pulled her aside and whispered something to her and she just said "Oh" and left.

Well, I gave Sox a little burial, complete w/incense and candles, prayers and tears. And I asked Spirit to greet her and watch over her. She was so fragile. Her mother, Kaboodle, searched and searched for her, even running into my garage to look around. That broke my heart. But she seems ok now because she's got her other younguns to tend to.

Again, thanx, friends for the words of support. I know the pain will ease w/time, as it already has, but the memory of Sox and my lapse in judgment will be forever w/me.

Blessings,
M

slick
11-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Oh Medusa, I have tears streaming down my face for little Sox. I can't believe that the vet would be so inconsiderate. Little Sox did know love from a human being and I thank you for caring for her. I just know that she's up at the RB and looking down on you and purring with delight. She's happy, she's healthy and will grow up to be quite a beauty.

RIP Sox. You were loved.

annazyellabananaz
11-24-2004, 10:16 PM
We feel your pain, M. Blame is a a part of the grieving process. There was nothing that you could have done, nor there was nothing that we could have done for Buttons. None of us had any control of the situation. Sometimes it's hard to accept the unknown. But know this, Sox knew you loved her very much and that is something that cannot be taken from her or you.

By the way, where in Ohio are you from? We have just moved to Medina which is about 45 minutes from Cleveland.

Medusa
11-25-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi there,
I live in Canal Fulton which is about an hour and a quarter from Medina. I take all my indoor special needs cats to the Animal Medical Center in Medina. Dr. Lee is great but they aren't cheap. He's really good about returning calls, taking the time to talk w/you, etc. It's quite a haul for me but well worth it.

Thanx for your kind words; I truly appreciate it. Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.

Blessings,
M

hamsterman
11-27-2004, 12:32 PM
im so sorry:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Medusa
11-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Thank you, thank you all for your kind words. I'm in the process of trying to take pix of the remaining 6 kittens, hopefully to find them all good homes. Boy, what a fun time that is! No one is around to help me and trying to get a little kitten to stay still while I snap a photo is challenging!

Wish me luck,
M

kittykay
12-08-2004, 09:01 AM
That vet had absolutely no empathy at all, and should be ashamed of herself. Part of veterinarian training is learning how to comfort bereaved pet owners when their animals die, whether or not it was under the vet's anesthesia. When they hide in the back room and whisper among themselves instead of coming forward to express their OWN grief and concern about a little cat's death, they should not be practicing medicine at all. AND NOT CLEANING HER UP AFTER DEATH shows a complete lack of respect for both your cat's life and your own grief. If it were me, I'd write a powerful letter to whatever review board veterinarians have to answer to, and cc the stupid vet and her whole office on the letter. Whether or not the vet's carelessness was the cause of your cat's death, she should have done the above, and with sincerity, too!

Please let all of us at Cat of The Day know the name of the vet and her clinic so we can be sure our cats never go there.