PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian Surgery on Thursday, Nov 25

Queen of Poop
11-22-2004, 10:20 AM
It's 3 days until Sebastian's surgery and I'm getting very stressed about it. All I can think about is what might go wrong. I try to tell myself that he's a big, healthy ferret and the adrenal surgery is quite routine for the surgeon. But.........I can't help but be fearful.

tatsxxx11
11-22-2004, 12:46 PM
I don't blame you one bit for being scared:( But you know, this is Sebastians's best hope for getting well! Hopefully he has a vet you trust implicitty and we all just have to put our hands and hearts together to hope for a successful surgery, swift recovery and encouraging update:) You're not alone, so please vent whenever you feel you need to. Did I read right...that the surgery is on Thanksgiving:( {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

Queen of Poop
11-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Yes, his surgery is on American Thanksgiving. We have our Thanksgiving in early October. The vet is most trusted by the local Ferret Rescue Society and I trust their recommendations. If it is successful he should be able to carry on just fine. I'm sure his brother Trouble, who passed on in August, will be watching over him.

lv4dogs
11-22-2004, 02:04 PM
wishing you the best of luck. I know all too well how scary things can be when it comes to the little fuzz.
I'm sure all will go well!

tatsxxx11
11-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Forgive me regarding Thanksgiving!!!:o It slipped my mind that you were in Canada. Happy belated Thanksgiving:)

You know, even though I'm a nurse, I absolutely go to pieces when anyone in my family is sick and most of all, when the furry ones need surgery, so don't feel that you are alone:) As a medical person, my best advice to you would be to bug the heck out of the vet:D Write down all your questions and concerns and take them with you. A lot of times all that is needed to allay our fears is a little reassurance! We fear most what we don't know! It sounds like you've got a very experienced vet there so it looks like you and Sebastian are in the best of hands:) Give the furry patient a gentle hug for me! I'll be checking in on Thurs. to see how you guys are doing!:) {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

KYS
11-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Will be thinking of Sebastian that all goes well
and for a speedy recover. :)

Queen of Poop
11-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Thank you for the good thoughts and Happy Thanksgiving to all in the US. I called the vet and got a few questions out of the way. I guess my biggest fear now is that they will open him up and won't be able to remove his tumor. I will post again tomorrow once I have heard from the vet after his surgery. Again, thanks for all of the well wishes.

Queen of Poop
11-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Well, it's surgery day. We took Sebastian to the vet at 7:30 this morning. Likely won't hear from them until noonish today. While I did the paperwork my husband cuddled Sebastian, it was so sweet. I have his picture on my desk so I can keep sending him positive thoughts. Very stressed, will be glad when this day is over and my headache goes away.

Karen
11-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Hope everything goes well!

Queen of Poop
11-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Just talked with Sebastian's surgeon. He is just waking up from very serious ferret surgery. He has a stitch in his vena cava (the main vein in his body) and we can't take him home until after 7:30 pm tonight - they want to ensure he doesn't start bleeding. He has to be kept quiet for about a week. They got ALL of his tumor in his right adrenal gland as well as a nodule from his left adrenal gland. He is still on IV, is being kept warm in an incubator and is on oxygen.

slick
11-25-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm glad to hear that Sebastian's sir jury went well. Prayers on th way for a smooth recovery. I'll bet you'll be glad when he's back to his old self again. It's always so stressful when our furbabies are sick.

cookieluver7
11-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by slick
I'm glad to hear that Sebastian's sir jury went well. Prayers on th way for a smooth recovery. I'll bet you'll be glad when he's back to his old self again. It's always so stressful when our furbabies are sick.

I agree. It is stressful! Glad his surjery went well.

Queen of Poop
11-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Sebastian sleeps alot. Has a huge incision, runs almost the entire length of his underside. His stitches are internal and he doesn't seem to be paying much attention to the area. He's only eating liquids right now, won't even look at his usual kibble. He has really yucky soft poop, likely caused by the intake of his "chicken soup". He bit me last night while I was petting him, taking revenge for me sending him for surgery I think. My husband figures that its a sign that he is getting better. It is going to be really hard to go to work tomorrow and leave him at home.

tatsxxx11
11-28-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm so glad to hear the sirjury went so well:) Poor Sebastian must be uncomfortable; that's a big incision!!! Hopefully the little guy will be lots better by tomorrow, more alert, less pain and eating. I'm sure it will be hard foryou to leave him alone! Give the sweetie a hug for me...I think you could use one too:D Please keep us updated! Prayers for your swift and complete recovery, dear Sebastian! Sandra and the Fur

Queen of Poop
12-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Sebastian is doing better, doesn't seem so sore, can get into/out of the litter box now without showing signs of distress. He's still eating just chicken soup, not his regular kibble. The vet advises to allow him this pleasure for another couple of days. By Friday he should be recovered enough to join Miko in their cage. We had a really nice cuddle in his playpen last night, much to the chagrin of Sasha (border collie cross). Thanks to all for your well wishes - it looks like we are almost out of the woods!!