PDA

View Full Version : I have never cried over a cookbook before.

gini
11-21-2004, 09:32 PM
In anticipation of my visit to my niece in Napa, Ca. for Thanksgiving, I bought her a hostess present.

It is a cookbook by Maya Angelou called hallelujah the welcome table.

For those of you who do not know who Maya Angelou is - I cannot encourage you more to find out immediately. I personally think she is a saint.

To read her cookbook is to read a delicious, painful, joyous personal journal - with some incredible recipes thrown in.

It is not an inexpensive book - $29.95 - so even if you cannot afford it right now - slip into a bookstore and take a peek at it.

Be sure to read about the Caramel Cake and I know that you will then have a good cry over this recipe with me.

If you continue, I think the bookseller might rip it from your hands because you won't be able to put it down. Read as many stories that preceed the recipes as you can.

And I think you might agree with me that she really is a saint, sent here to open up our hearts and maybe teach us all how to cook a good meal at the same time.

And be sure to always spell Caramel Cake with two capital C's.

Hugs to you all - Gini

GraciesMommy
11-21-2004, 09:35 PM
I have never heard of her but I love good cookbooks, and this one sounds like it would be..caramel cake sounds REAL good

slick
11-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Never heard of it either but I'm planning on doing some Christmas shopping in the next couple of weeks so I'll watch out for it.

micki76
11-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Maya Angelou is an incredible person! I had no idea she had a cookbook out.

Karen
11-21-2004, 10:35 PM
She is a regal person, and a down-to-earth person at the same time. She is a wonderful writer, and a poet in these days when poetry is so under-appreciated.

cloverfdx
11-21-2004, 10:38 PM
I must watch out for it, that would make a good Christmas pressie for my SIL to be.

AmberLee
11-22-2004, 12:55 PM
I had the privilege of attending one of her readings at the local university years ago, and my favorite shows of 'Touched By An Angel' seemed to be the episodes she guest starred.

I didn't know she had a cookbook out!

RICHARD
11-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Most people will cry when they see that the Caramel Cake
is about 40,000 calories, 2,000 carbs and 1,900 grams of fat..;)

tomkatzid
11-22-2004, 01:10 PM
I just got on hold for it at the library. I'm 12th in line.
Thanks, Katz

momoffuzzyfaces
11-22-2004, 01:17 PM
I have her book: Wouldn't take Nothin' for my Journey Now. I also love her book: I know why the caged Bird sings!
She's great!:D

karyn674
11-22-2004, 01:27 PM
OMG is it on sale outside US? This i have to find!!!!

Emotional recepie book :eek:

Killearn Kitties
11-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I'll have a look for it. I enjoyed her autobiogaphies.

I certainly won't be eating the Carmel Cake after what Richard said about it!

gini
11-22-2004, 02:05 PM
But, Richard, there are some things that are just good for the soul.............and be damned with the calories and carbs!

In Maya's case the Caramel Cake was intended for her soul!

And just for that comment, Richard, you have to go out and buy the book and make the cake for Thanksgiving for all of us!:)

RICHARD
11-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by gini
But, Richard, there are some things that are just good for the soul.............and be damned with the calories and carbs!

In Maya's case the Caramel Cake was intended for her soul!

And just for that comment, Richard, you have to go out and buy the book and make the cake for Thanksgiving for all of us!:)

I understand comfort food.....I am just a little tired of the LOW/NON/FAT FREE/SUGAR FREE/CARB/CALORIE labels on the food I buy......just because THEY don't want it means I have to SUFFER?????

I'm going to the bookstore this afternoon!!!!

How's about for the July BBQ???;)

KK,

I think I exaggerated the calorie count!!!

:o

tatsxxx11
11-22-2004, 02:35 PM
What a truly amazing, talented person she is Gini; a true Renaissance woman! I know many became aware of her after her good friend Oprah starting inviting her on her show. I'm going to Borders tomorrow and will be sure to take a copy home! Ugh, did you have to mention caramel cake:D

NoahsMommy
11-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Gini,

Before I opened this thread, I KNEW what book you were talking about. My mom bought this for me this weekend and I can't wait to sit and read the whole thing. :) :)

Maya is one of my most favorite people on earth. You know that question on who would you meet if you could me anyone? My answer would be her. I've read all her books, have almost all of her Hallmark stuff and got to see her in person last year as a participant of a Distinguished Speaker series. She was and is the most amazing person.

The cookbook is beautiful. I'm so glad you passed this along to others who may not know her. :)

NoahsMommy
11-22-2004, 08:52 PM
bump :)

slick
12-13-2004, 10:25 AM
I bought this book a few weeks back....$45 CDN yikes!!!!

Have been browsing through it and read that Caramel Cake story. A real tear-jerker.

We are having a pot-luck Christmas lunch at work on Wednesday and am thinking about making the Onion Tart to take along.

I highly recommend this book and will be buying another copy to give to my boss for Christmas.

gini
12-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Slick, I knew you would love it.

How did books become so expensive? They used to be $10.95 - then $15.95 - then $19.95. Now it is up to $29.95.

I got it through Barnes and Noble with my membership and an additional coupon.

I hope everyone goes into a book store to take a peek at it, even if you can't afford to buy it.

Cataholic
12-13-2004, 11:11 AM
I, too, had the honour of hearing her speak, at my college many moons ago. I will look to purchase the book the next time I am at my favorite booksellers! Joseph-Beth Booksellers.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Sounds VERY interesting! I hope it is available here in Belgium... ? as I have never heard about her before.... :(

Cincy'sMom
12-13-2004, 01:33 PM
My knowledge of Maya Angelou was her involvement in Bill Clinton's inauguration...didn't she read a poem she had written?

Anyway, I love cookbooks, have way too many, and must have more!! I'll have to check that one out!

Logan
12-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Gini, I wanted to tell you that after I read this thread, yesterday (I totally missed it when you posted it), I thought I'd check into this book and perhaps get a copy for my mother for part of her Christmas gift. Amazon.com has it on sale for $17.97, and if you buy $25 worth of merchandise, you can get free shipping too. And it was a new, hardback not one of the used copies. Just thought I'd pass this along. I sort of wish I had gotten one for myself too!

Thanks for the tip!
Logan