PDA

View Full Version : Tubby - Wonderful News!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-20-2004, 01:50 PM
We just got back from Tubby's vet visit. As some of you know, I was ready to have him PTS because he seemed like he was in very uncomfortable and in pain - he couldn't even walk, wasn't eating, etc.

Well, the good news is we went to a WONDERFUL new vet (to get a second opinion) and he said that it wasn't Tubby's arthritis at all. This is all what was going on with him - and it's all related to his kidney failure:
1)He was low on potassium which made him weak and which was why he couldn't walk.
2)He was dehydrated.
3)Constipated
4)Possible minor kidney infection which gave him a
5)104 degree fever
6)He also has some sort of mass...I don't know...like, below his bladder but above his colon, or above the bladder but below the colon or something like that. He thought it was probably just a fat globule that was maybe enlarged or infected because of the kidneys....or something like that.

Anyway, the wonderful news is that he is home and resting a bit more comfortably now. I have to give him potassium supplement twice a day and an antibiotic once a day....along with the sub-q fluids (thought Terry was going to pass out when they showed us how to do that, but he didn't ;) ) once a day. The vet said we should notice an improvement by as early as later this evening or into tomorrow.

I'm so relieved. I was prepared for the worst, but in the vet's words, he didn't think Tubby was "beyond salvageable" so we decided to "salvage" him. ;)

I know it's the PT prayers that came through once again and I want to thank you ALL SO much for your care and concern. After Tubby is feeling a bit better, I will get some new pics up for you.

{{{Hugs}}} and big THANK YOU's to you all. :)

neko1
11-20-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm so glad Tubby is resting at home now! I'll still be praying for Tubby's continued improvement!! ((Hugs)) to you both:)

Craftlady
11-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Wonderful News!!!!!!!!!!!!

This new vet is on the right track :)

catcrazylady
11-20-2004, 01:57 PM
OMG!!!!! I'm doing a great big happy joy dance!!!! I was ready to say goodbye to Tubby and look at this!!!

THANK YOU LORD IT'S ANOTHER PT MIRACLE!!!!:D :D :D :D

No wonder the little guy was feeling so bad! I bet you get him rehydrated and that fever down and you will see a drastic improvement.

Good grief!! I've cried all morning and now I'm so freaking happy that hubby thinks I've lost my mind and the cats are running from me!!!! I don't remember when I've been happier!!!!

YIPPEE! YAHOO!!!!

Kisses and {{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you sweet Tubby!!! I'm so glad your still here to get them!!
WAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

NoahsMommy
11-20-2004, 02:09 PM
That is wonderful news! :) I'm so glad, Debbie. We were so worried for your sweet boy.

Yay for Tubby, Yay for you and Terry! :) :) :)

kt_luvs_kitties
11-20-2004, 02:12 PM
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!! I am so so so glad everything worked out for the best. Now I will continue to pray for Tubbys fast and full recovery!! And I know you are SO relieved, and I am glad that you get to relax now too.
Tubby, you are one lucky fella to have such a loving and caring meowmie! GET WELL SOON!!! We are all cheering for you!
*HUGS* to Tubby, Debbie, Peanut and the rest of your family!:D

Randi
11-20-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm SO happy to hear this news - oh Tubby, you're one of a kind! With the fluid and potassium level up, you'll soon be feeling better! :) What a great choice of a vet! :)

I was prepared for the worst, I'm so relieved now. Hang in there Tubby boy, you'll be spoiled and hugged all weekend! :D

More scritchies and kisses from us! We're all cheering for you boy! And Debbie & Terry, you deserve a drink and relaxation!

jazzzytina
11-20-2004, 02:25 PM
HOORAY FOR TUBBY! ! ! ! !

We're so happy you are better! Continue to feel better and let Meowmie take good care of you!

Sending kisses and headbumpies your way! :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

... so we decided to "salvage" him. ;)

"WE" had no doubts! ;)

But Uhhh-Oooooh... :confused:

Hey Tubster ~

Duz dis Happie Turn of Eventz put yur Road Trip inna Motor Howze
into question??

Suggest ya keep *Wobblin* till departure day -
so'z da Folkz feel ya need to go along wiff em!

So GLAD yur gonna be Feelin Better Soon!

:D

rg_girlca
11-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Oh Debbie, I am sitting here crying tears of joy. I am so happy to hear this wonderful news.

I'm so glad you decided on getting a second opinion.
Oh Joy, Joy, Happy, Happy.

I hope and pray that you will see a big improvement in Tubby by tomorrow.

(((((HUGS))))) for you Debbie and little (((((HUGS))))) for Tubby, until he feels better.

kimlovescats
11-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Oh, Debbie how WONDERFUL!!!!!!!! You must be thrilled to be back home with your baby boy!!! I am so happy for you!

HUGGIES TO TUBSTER!!!:)

momoffuzzyfaces
11-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
:D :D :D :D Thank you God! A BIG AMEN! to that, indeed!!!

Wonderful news!!!:D

slick
11-20-2004, 02:33 PM
JUST ONE MORE MIRACLE.....BROUGHT ON BY PET TALK PRAYERS! :) :)

dukedogsmom
11-20-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm so glad you found a more educated vet! I'm happy to hear that Tubby will be getting back to normal and being happy again. No wonder he wasn't feeling well, poor guy. So many things wrong with him. We'll look forward to more pics.

QueenScoopalot
11-20-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm elated at the news that Tubby's on the upswing again!! :D :D I'm sure after a few days, and with his temp brought down, and pottasium up, he'll be back to chowing down on all his favorites! I'm so happy for all of you! Please give that Tubby another kiss right on those little black lips! ;) Do cats even have lips? :confused:

jenluckenbach
11-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh my, what a relief. Way to go Tubster, you aren't ready for that one way trip yet, you got a lot of livin' to do!!

ChrisH
11-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Oh, Debbie, such wonderful news!! :D Lots of happy smiles on lots of faces all around the world tonight. :D

Sending gentle hugs for Mr Tubby and big hugs for you and hubby ... oh, and for Princess Peanut too of course! :)

Chris

catfamily
11-20-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm so happy you know exaclty what is wrong with him and now you can make him comphy.What a relief.I was very worried about him.

trayi52
11-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Thank the lord!! I am so happy to find out Tubby is still with us and will be feeling well soon!

Tubby, I hope you get to feeling better, sweet boy, we all love you!

Willie:)

lbaker
11-20-2004, 02:59 PM
kiss kiss kiss and headbumpies and scritches. You be THE MAN Tubby! Yeah for our team!

Vermontcat
11-20-2004, 03:45 PM
I am so happy and so relieved to hear that sweet Tubby is going to be ok! :D
I'm glad you found a vet who could help Tubby out when he needed it the most.
Hugs to you and Tubby from me.
Samantha sends special nose kissies to him and she even wants to share her catnip fish with him so he will feel better soon.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/vtcat/kissfish.jpg

AmberLee
11-20-2004, 03:48 PM
What a wonderful relief! So glad that Mr. Tubby will be feeling better soon. Crying happy tears here!

Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Do cats even have lips?

Yes! Tiny little cute lips!!

RedHedd
11-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
Yes! Tiny little cute lips!! I LOVE kissing my kitties' lips! .... yeah, I know I'm weird! :rolleyes: :p

HAPPY! HAPPY! JOY! JOY! We're doing the happy dance here in sunny and warm San Francisco too. Having a kidney-kat too (Mishi) I can sure empathize as my big boy gave me a scare earlier this year. Sometimes I just wish they could talk and tell us what's wrong!

I'm so glad to hear that Tubby is on the road to recovery thanks to a terrific vet and a wonderful meowmie. BTW .... the book is in the mail, so, dear Tubby-man, you will soon have your own, private masseuse too! :) The M's send gentle head bumpies and kitty kisses

Vio&Juni
11-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Oh, this is such good news! Tubby, get better.

It's so great when you find a good doctor or vet!

Barbara
11-20-2004, 04:51 PM
I am so glad to hear there is hope that Tubby will be better soon:)

All the best for you and him:)

RICHARD
11-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Cool,

The Tubster's on the mend.:)

prechrswife
11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
That's wonderful news!!:D

lizbud
11-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Wow, I'm so glad Tubby will soon be feeling much better.
I was very worried about him too. Wishing all the best to
Tubby & Peanut.:) I feel like hugging that Vet.:)

Edwina's Secretary
11-20-2004, 06:49 PM
First thing I did when I came home was to check on Tubby. How relieved I am to hear he is doing so much better!!!

Go Tubby, go!!!

catnapper
11-20-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm crying tears of happiness for you! Yay Tubby! I knew you still have oodles of time left in you!

I'm so pleased to hear this news!

K & L
11-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh Debbie this has got to be encouraging for you. Even though you have some problems to deal with, the news sounds so much better than you were anticipating! YIPPEE

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-20-2004, 07:56 PM
I don't know where to start in thanking you all, but I guess I'll start with another little uppydate. I think Tubby is already feeling much better. He's still not too mobile, but at least he is picking his head up and looking around and acting interested in things again. And even though he's not too mobile, he's much more mobile than before. I thought it might be good to just let him rest for awhile and let all the meds start working, so we went and ran some errands and got something to eat. When we left he was on his purr pad, fast asleep. When we got home, he was gone! Turns out he went into the bedroom to get a drink, then didn't make it all the way back. I picked him up and put him on the purr pad, and not only did he complain, but he got up and walked away almost as soon as I set him down! I thought OK, you go where you want now. :D Then I was going upstairs and glanced over to make sure he was ok, and he was gone again! Just decided to switch positions and move a little bit this time, but still that's more movement on his own in the last 2 hours than there has been in the last 2 days!

Since he seemed perkier, I thought I'd try to give him some of the food the vet gave me-Royal Canine Renal formula. Peant looked extrememly interested when I opened the pack, but Tubby still didn't want anything to do with it, and, as a matter of fact, ended up throwing up all over the dish I gave him. :(

He gets one more potassium tablet tonight and then another dose of everything tomorrow, and I'm hoping he'll be even perkier tomorrow.

I'm so sorry I just about ruined all of your Saturdays, but as you can guess, I myself am quite relieved and happy to have him home. NOW maybe I can get some sleep tonight. :cool: :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Duz dis Happie Turn of Eventz put yur Road Trip inna Motor Howze
The motor howze is still in question, but we've decided that unless Terry's sister(we'll be staying with her) has a major problem with it - he's coming to Denver with us in the car. We figured if we take the car, Peanut would be happier at home, but I'll have the cat sitter come in twice a day for her, but Tubby's coming with. :D

Samantha sends special nose kissies to him and she even wants to share her catnip fish with him so he will feel better soon
Oh Samantha sweetie, I'm so relieved. I was wondering how I was going to break the bad news to you, but instead I'm able to deliver those very special sweet little nosie kisses to him for you. :D

the book is in the mail, so, dear Tubby-man, you will soon have your own, private masseuse too!Thank you so much Georgia! I'm so thrilled that I can learn how to give kitty massages - especially to my big boy. :D

Thank you all again. Oh, and another way I know he's feeling better is he is starting to enjoy the skritchies I give him again. Now, if he'll just purr for me, I'll be the happiest cat meowmie on earth. :D

shais_mom
11-20-2004, 08:11 PM
OH how scary for you Debbie!
I am so glad that news turned out so good!

gently hugs to Tubby!

catcrazylady
11-20-2004, 08:14 PM
The news just keeps getting better and better!:D :D :D

You didn't ruin our Saturday! As a matter of fact you made the last half of my day quite exciting. I was acting like a happy little kid after you posted the good news!:D

Since Tubby is enjoying his chin scritchies again would you give him one for us?
I'm so happy that Tubby will be joining you for the holiday. I'm sure he will be happy to be with you and I know you will be thrilled to have him with you.:) :) :)

Logan
11-20-2004, 08:59 PM
I just asked the question, in the old thread, about an update. Now I've found it! :) :) You go, Tubby!!!!! :D

Karen
11-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Yay, Tubby! Give a Pet Talk hug to that new vet. Salvagable, indeed!

DJFyrewolf36
11-20-2004, 10:01 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy moly, I didn't even know Tubby was feeling bad!!!! Carp, I need to check PT more often!

Poor Tubby, Im glad you are feeling better!

Tubby is one of my favorite kitties on PT! I feel awful that I couldn't offer my prayers earlier

Prayers on the way for Tubbys continued recovery!

Give the old boy a hug for me, please?

NoahsMommy
11-20-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm glad our guy is moving around a bit. :) You are such good parents, Debbie. I'm so glad Tubby has you.

smokey the elder
11-21-2004, 07:56 AM
I'm glad Tubby is feeling better!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Sunday morning uppydate.

Tubby is looking SO much better, especially when he walks, which he's actually doing again!

WE did the sub-q fluids this morning. Yes, Terry helped, which I was surprised at. Went as easily as can be expected for a first timer - only poked myself with the needle once. :rolleyes: But it's really amazing how the cats don't seem to mind this at all.

The only thing is he's still not eating. The vet had given me a packet of the Royal Canine Renal formula. Yesterday, if you remember, Tubby sniffed at it, then prompted puked. :rolleyes: Today he sniffed at it and didn't throw up, so I picked some up in my fingers and shoved it in - just like the pills. Not the best way to get him to eat, but he has to get some food in him. I'm going to head to the store and try some of those turkey stick things Tracey was talking about that Storm seemed to like to see if they'll work with Tubby.

So, all in all a good morning. Tubby drew blood on me once (got me with a back molar-ouch!) and I drew blood on myself once with the needle, but Tubby is doing great! The sun is out today, so as soon as it comes around and starts streaming in the windows, if he doesn't move himself, I'm going to put him right in the middle of that big sun patch.

Oh, and just a tiny hint of a purr this morning too! :D

K & L
11-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks so much for the update. I'm glad Tubby is doing better! We still have the vomiting problem with Hazel. I just keep trying different foods and hope one will work. The vets gave me a bag full of sample cans to see if one worked better than the other.

I'm sure once the meds get Tubby feeling better his appetite will pickup!

slick
11-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks fo the update, Debbie. I pray that he continues to grow stronger and that his appetite is restored. :)

Randi
11-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Tubby moving around - and purring a bit!! :D I'm so exited! I know you are too. :) Now, you just need to get some food into him.

Have you tried a bit of raw liver, raw white fish, the inside of an olive stuffed with anchoves paste, or a few boiled corn? Fister is crazy with all these. :) And Of course Greenlandic shrimps!

There's also one called Nature's Best - ever tried that? I don't know if it only comes as dry food.

I do hope you can make him eat something! Make sure it's only a little at a time, and not too cold.

If you take him along in the motorhome, I hope he won't feel nauseous. Have you asked whether the medicine he gets will prevent that?

Debbie and Terry, you're the best mom and dad he could wish for, and I'm sure he'll purr you a little tune as soon as he's up to it and give you headbumpies. :)

Keep getting better, Tubby boy!

Here's a lot more gentle scritchies and kisses from us.

jazzcat
11-21-2004, 10:30 AM
What great news and what a great relief! I'm so glad he is steadily improving. Now to just get him eating, hopefully the Turkey sticks will work.

I'm sure that hint of a purr was music to your ears.:D

I look forward to the next good update. We love you Tubby!

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-21-2004, 10:33 AM
That is such great news!! Hurray for the new vet, and hurray for our Tubby !!!:)

catmandu
11-21-2004, 12:30 PM
The Found Cats,are so pleased,that Tubby,is going to with with you,as there have been too many,of the Pet Talk Cats,going to thre RB lately! Hooray for Tubby!!!

RedHedd
11-21-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm curious about the Royal Canin renal formula. Is it prescription only or can you get it at Petco? Mishi is on Hill's K/D and he likes it, but it would be nice to have him on something I can buy at a regular store instead of having to go to the vet for his food.

My vet also recommended the Nature's Best and something called "Triumph" for his kidney diet, but I haven't been able to find it. For now, Mishi's fine on the K/D but he does go on eating strikes and I'd like to have a back-up plan.

Tubby, please eat for your meowmie and for your health! You need the nourishment to get better!

I'm so glad he is perking up .... now, please eat Tubster!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Good news! Got some of the Gerber Graduate Turkey Sticks and also picked up some chicken & gravy and beef & gravy. He nibbled at the turkey sticks, but didn't seem overly thrilled with them - although I was so happy to see he ate them without me forcing it on him. Then I opened the beef & gravy and offered him some of that. Ooooh boy did her perk up! :D He just gobbled that all down and seemed like he was looking for more! Since he hasn't eaten much in the last few days, I didn't want to overdo it so he didn't get anymore, but I will give him some more later on.

So we've got
1)still drinking and peeing good
2)able to walk again and moving around a bit
3)tad bit of a purr
4)MUCH more awake and alert
5)starting to eat a bit again

so now all I need is a good solid deposit in the litterbox and I'll be one happy meowmie. And if I get a head bump? Well, I'll have thought I died and gone to heaven. ;) :D

kimlovescats
11-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Oh Debbie ... I am just sooooooooooooo happy for you!!!!!:D
((((BIG)))) Soggy Hugs!!!!:D

Love,
Kim;)

Randi
11-21-2004, 01:40 PM

So we've got
1)still drinking and peeing good
2)able to walk again and moving around a bit
3)tad bit of a purr
4)MUCH more awake and alert
5)starting to eat a bit again

So now all I need is a good solid deposit in the litterbox and I'll be one happy meowmie. And if I get a head bump? Well, I'll have thought I died and gone to heaven. ;) :D
Oh Debbie, this is what we need to hear! :) Tubby seems to be as choosy as Fister - you really have to find the very right treat for the King of of the Castle. :D

Drinking and peeing is essential, so that's VERY good news, moving around is SO exiting, and purring is pure bliss! :D

Now Debbie, keep working on the very right treat!

Fister says: Tubby, you must take advantage of this situation, you have your mommy right where you want her! You can get ANYTHING you want! ;)

More kisses and gentle headbumpies!

Rachel
11-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Good boy, Tubby! You don't want to check in at the RB when you have such a good thing going for you down here. And you have your very own Angel Mommy looking after you, so get all those innards back in gear so you can make that road trip with the folks.

kt_luvs_kitties
11-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Tubby, YOU ARE AWESOME!!! You keep on feeling better, so we all can stop worrying! I prayed so hard in church today for Tubby... As I will continue to do until he is ALL BETTER:D
HUGS to Meowmie, you are such a good mom, to take care of him so well, and to do all that you can to make him comfy and happy. I hope he gets to feeling normal soon, and then for pics??? give him a kiss from me and my kitties, and I hope you can get some rest, I bet you are exhausted, checking on him all the time;)

Kirsten
11-21-2004, 03:36 PM
OMG, Debbie, I missed this entire thing and didn't know that Tubby was so sick! I'm so sorry! :(

But I'm very glad that he is doing so much better!!! Good that you've heard a second opinion from another vet, and that he found out what Tubby really had!

The "girls" and their meowmie are sending lots of positive vibes for a speedy recovery!!

Kirsten

momoffuzzyfaces
11-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Tubster, keep up the good work!

Maybe your mawmee could try a bit of tuna with you. That will perk my cats up when nothing else will.

So glad you are feeling better!:D

slick
11-21-2004, 03:53 PM
That's such encouraging news Debbie. :) What about trying some cooked chicken too. Last night I cooked up some skinless chicken thighs and just now I had a chicken sandwich. Max was all over me like flies on s.... well, you know what I mean, and while we are on the subject...

Come on Tubby......show us your tootsie rolls, then we'll know for sure.

More hugs and prayers on the way.

christa
11-21-2004, 05:20 PM
OMG! It makes me sick to think of what would happen if you hadn't gone to get a second opinion!!!

I'm so happy for Tubby! I know he's going to get better for you and live many more years with you!!!

;)

lizzielou742
11-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Glad Tubby is getting better. Tito and Sophie send headbumpies and purrs! :D

koxka
11-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Phew ......it was close...:(

I'm so glad he is improving.

Now, Tubby give meowme that headbumpy!!!:D

krazyaboutkatz
11-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Debbie, I'm sorry that I didn't see this thread until now.:o I'm thrilled that Tubby is doing much better. I know how scary it is when they get so sick. The sub-q fluids really seem to perk them up. I hope that Tubby makes a quick and full recovery. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.:)

BastetsMum
11-22-2004, 03:51 AM
Excellent news about Tubby!

Glad to hear he is on the mend.

Purrs from Bastet :)

Cataholic
11-22-2004, 04:10 AM
I can hardly control all the states! They are estatic about this wonderful Tubby news!

mina'smomma
11-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Oh Debbie~reaching for my klenex~ I'm sooooo happy!!! I'm glad to hear that Tubby is going to be fine. Mina sends him head bumps and sandpaper kisses for you.!

ramanth
11-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Yay! I hope Tubby feels better real soon. :)

slick
11-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Monday morning uppydate??? :confused:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Sorry Slick, had to get caught up on some of the other threads that I've been neglecting. ;)

Well, the news continues to be good - although not great. I would say we're progressing by baby steps, not leaps and bounds as I had hoped, but you know? Baby steps are just FINE with me! :D

The only thing he's really not doing is eating (well, and pooping which goes along with eating). I tried to get him to eat some more last night. Since he went for the beef stuff earlier, I offered that again. He sniffed and turned up his nose. But I said too bad so sad, Tubby, I'm NOT taking no for an answer. So since this stuff is really just liquid mush, I went and got the syringe out, sucked some into the syringe then just shot it down Tubby's throat! Needless to say he wasn't happy about that, but that's just too bad! I got maybe a teaspoon's worth in him, then figured that was enough since I don't want him throwing it all up right away.

Then this morning, since he rejected the beef last night, I offered him another turkey stick, but nope - no go. Soooooo.....pry those little kitty lips open and down the hatch it was! Again he wasn't too happy about it, but that's just too bad. And of course, little nurse Peanut was right there to help clean up any leftovers. ;) She's loving all these wonderful treats!

But, the good news is that after I (force) fed him, he sat up for awhile - yes sat UP, then headed over to the back windows to check out the backyard!!!! He only took a few glances out back, then headed back into the living room and laid down for a rest, but I was jumping up and down from excitement! That is the most interest he's showed in anything since last Wednesday! He is so much less wobbly than he was, but is still not as sure footed as I'd like, but I'm sure that will come as he gets more nourishment in him - which will happen, one way or the other. ;) And he was awake and alert the whole time I was getting ready for work and even watched me leave.

I talked to Terry about 10 minutes ago, and Tubby is resting comfortably in a spot that the sun should be hitting any minute now. :)

Also, there's been a change in plans. Terry didn't think it was right to haul Tubby half way across the country when he was so sick. I thought it was important to go to Denver because of his Dad, but he didn't think it was right, so we're not going. I'm relieved because it was quite stressful for me to have to figure out everything I needed to take and to worry about Tubby in the car and in a strange place and all that, and then what if something happened to Tubby along the way. I still feel we should go because of Terry's dad, but if Terry doesn't want to go, I can't force him. So instead we will be heading to my parents in Wisconsin, but just for Thanksgiving day. I can give Tubby all his meds in the morning, then we'll leave, and we'll be back in the evening for his evening meds.

Aaannnyyywwaaaayyy....things are going good. Small improvements everyday. Oh, and another thing with not going to Denver is now I can follow the vet's orders and bring Tubby in next Saturday for a follow-up.

Thank you all for your continuing support, it means so much. And Tracey, don't worry about missing all this because I know you were pre-occupied with everything that Storm has been going through. I can totally relate to what you're going through. ;) :)

Barbara
11-22-2004, 10:54 AM
I am so glad to hear there is slight progress. No progress at that age can be expected to be big. And he's still interested in the world and can enjoy staying in the sun.

So nice of Terry that he won't go to see his dad- but we all understand. Our cats are our children:)

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} to all of you.

catlover4ever
11-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Debbie that is such wonderful news. I will continue to send prayers and positive thoughts your way.

sirrahbed
11-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Debbie, those "setbacks" I told you about with Ernie - usually lasted a week or so, and then he would gradually start eating again. And remember - this went on for several *years*:) As long as he is drinking, he should be OK. The electrolytes (Potassium) will keep him from becoming weak and the fluids keep him hydrated. One thing Ernie seldom refused was veal babyfood - have you tried that??

lynnestankard
11-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Sorry Debbie - late getting to this thread - stuff!!

All I can say is HURRAY FOR THE TUBSTER!!!!

I love, love , love that furboy and across the miles come streams of Get Well Soon vibes and nose kisses and neck scritchies and cuddles and - - - - any darn thing that gorgeous boy needs!!!!

Lynne

slick
11-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Debbie, I know this is a longshot and you've probably already investigated it, but could the eating problem be caused by something in his mouth? Perhaps a sore tooth or maybe a canker sore? Of course with all the meds he's getting I'm sure you've had a look....but...just in case....

Good to hear that he's showing an interest in things now. It can only get better from here.

{{{HUGS}}}
slick
xo

Edwina's Secretary
11-22-2004, 09:33 PM
What about tuna? Would he eat that?

I am so glad he is doing better!!!

NoahsMommy
11-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Our poor Tubby...you've got to eat honey....

Have you tried the Hill's A/D? They typically use that when sickies don't feel like eating.

lisalee
11-22-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm very sorry to hear Tubby hasn't been feeling well.:( He's such a big beautiful black boy, I will say some prayers for him that he has more time with you. It doesn't really sound all that bleak though and I was wondering the same thing as Slick, has Tubby had a dental done anytime recently? Could it be his teeth?? I know it's also very common for cats with kidney disease to not have an appetite alot. The sub-q fluids should help him also.

I'm glad to hear he's more alert and seems interested in things again, that sounds very good! :) Wishing Tubby and you all the best!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Well, I'm doing a happy happy dance this morning!http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Dance.gifhttp://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Party.gif

Last night I tried to get Tubby to eat again. First of all I offered one of the turkey sticks. He sniffed at it and looked interested, licked his chops once or twice....but wouldn't eat. :( :rolleyes: :mad: So, pry those old jaws open and down the hatch it went! Then I put the last of the beef & beef gravy on a plate and offered that. He sniffed, licked his chops, took one tentative lick....then dove right in! He licked the plate clean - all on his own! I was SO happy! http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Clap%20Hands.gifhttp://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Clap%20Hands.gif I was jumping around and acting goofy and Terry couldn't figure out what was going on. When I told him he had to go down and give Tubby a big old smooch for being a good boy and eating.

Since he actually ate on his own last night, I got bold this morning and offered him some of the RC Renal food - no go. Then since the beef & gravy was all gone, I got out the chicken & gravy. Same as last night, sniffed it, tentatively licked, then dove right in! He didn't finish it off like last night though, but I was still happy I didn't have to shove anything but pills down his throat this morning. :D

Also, when I was giving him his fill up (fluids), he kept moving his head and looking around, which kept moving the needle and it would restrict the flow, so I'd have to move his head back and he'd move it again so I'd have to move it back and finally he complained at me for having to keep moving his head. Complaining is a good thing these days. :D And THEN Terry got up and Tubby wasn't in his spot in the "sick bay" so Terry went to the kitchen to find him, and on his way Tubby came walking out of the living room, and just passed right by Terry and headed over to the litter box. Terry was like "Hey, where do you think you're going?" It was as if Tubby wasn't sick at all. :D

So, things are still looking up, but of course he's still not 100% yet, and may never be. If he is not eating better by Saturday when we have our follow up appointment, I will ask the vet what I should do. I'm really putting off trying the tuna because the last couple times I gave him tuna he threw up within an hour, and yes, that was with the water based tuna. He hasn't thrown up at all on any of the baby food, so I think I'm going to stick to that until he starts eating regular food on his own, until we see the vet again that is.

Oh, and no tootsie rolls yet.......but he hasn't eaten much lately either so......

Oh, and Slick, about his mouth, I guess that could be part of the problem since I've only got his mouth open enough to shove something down, but he really fights that so I've been more worried about crushed fingers than checking for sores. But that is a thought and I'll see if I can check it out next time I'm in there. ;)

slick
11-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Wow.....sounds like things are really on the upswing now. What a difference 24 hours makes. If I were you I'd be crying happy tears. Good boy Tubby....smoochies to you.

Now if only we can get those tootsie rolls delivered.....

More {{{HUGS}}} and prayers coming your way.:) :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-23-2004, 10:05 AM
http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Clap%20Hands.gif

WAY to GO, Tubster!!
Keep on **EATIN**!!

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Clap%20Hands.gif

... I've only got his mouth open enough to shove something down,
but he really fights that so I've been more
worried about crushed fingers than checking for sores. ;)

Mouff *Inspection* = Good Job for the White Coat! :p

They factor Hazardous Duty Pay into their fees ~
Let him/her EARN it! :D

Barbara
11-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Way to go Tubby!

And talk about 100%- don't think I am 100% these days!;)

So glad you are feeling better:D :D :D

And now for the tootsie rolls;)

NoahsMommy
11-23-2004, 11:13 AM
EXCELLENT NEWS!!!! GOOD BOY, TUBBY!!!! :D :D :D :D

:) Way to go, Debbie! You're an excellent kitty nurse! :)

ChrisH
11-23-2004, 02:44 PM
:) :) :) wonderful news! Way to go, Mr Tubby! :D

momoffuzzyfaces
11-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Great news, Tubster!

As far as tootsie rolls: it has to go in, before it can come out! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
Great news, Tubster!
As far as tootsie rolls: it has to go in, before it can come out! :D
I'm working on it, MOFF, I'm working on it. ;)

He ate just a little of the chicken and gravy tonight. I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy turkey cooking things, so I'm going to try the veal that Debbie suggested, and buy another beef & gravy - he really dove into that one. I'm also going to shove some turkey sticks down him later....well....unless he decides to get smart and eat it on his own that is. ;) Other than that, nothing new tonight. No tootsie rolls and he gets around a little bit, but not much. Still no purrs or head bumpies. :( But we did have a good snuggle tonight which made me happy. :) I really miss our nightly snuggles, and I also miss having him in bed all night, but I can't risk having him jump out of bed while I'm sleeping, so I guess I'll just have to deal with it.;)

rg_girlca
11-23-2004, 08:00 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Tubby is starting to feel a little better.
One day at a time Tubster.

You're such a good meowmie Debbie. I'm sure in no time you will have your Tubby back to good health.:)

doolittleky
11-23-2004, 08:03 PM
I am so happy that you go a second opinion for Tubby. i hate to think about it if you hadn't of. I will keep thinking about Tubby and praying for a speedy recovery. And I think the second opinion vet would become my new vet.
Doo=^..^=

iloverat
11-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Oh, I'm SOOOO happy to hear that Tubby is improving!!!! Prayers have been coming your way from our house and will continue til we get the all clear signal. :) Dear Tubby, you've given your meowmie and your pawpaw much to be thankful for in the last couple of days. Keep eating and continuing to get better, little one.

Debbie, I LOVED your happy dance people and all the other little figures you had on your update e-mail. Too cute!!!!! :D :D :D

Bobbi

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Just signed on to give you a quick uppydate. Sheesh, I've been so busy today that I almost wish I would have had to work so I could relax a bit! :rolleyes:

Anyway, so far today, Tubby has eaten everything I put in front of him.....except fresh roasted turkey right out of the oven. Now I know he's sick. ;) :rolleyes: :D But in case you missed that, he ate everything, with no prompting from me except a few re-positionings of the plate to make it easier for him to get. Seems he won't eat it if he has to stand to eat, or if he has to stretch his neck to far to eat. We're beginning to think he's milking this for all it's worth. ;)

However, still no tootsie rolls, still no purrs and still no head bumpies, but a little more movement - and the eating. I'm looking forward to the follow-up visit this Saturday.

Oh, and I spent an hour at the grocery story today, not buying the makings for a turkey dinner, but trying to figure out what kind of baby/cat food would appeal most to a sick cat. Evidently I picked right. Got some Fancy Feast - something I would never give him otherwise, but the vet says if he eats it, give it to him, sooo.....

Well, gotta go, busy - long - day tomorrow, so everyone have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving. I know there is a certain big black boy that I will be saying thanks for all day long. :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Debbie, I'm so glad to hear that Tubby is finally eating on his own and getting better.:) When I feed Storm the turkey sticks I cut them into three pieces and them mash them with a fork. I also but some of the geletin on top of it. Have a great Thanksgiving and I hope that things continue to improve with Tubby.:D

tomkatzid
11-25-2004, 02:04 AM
So happy to hear the good news about you Tubby. Kelcee is a bit sad that she doesn't get all those special treats !!!;)
Katz

slick
11-26-2004, 09:08 AM
How was your Thanksgiving and how is Tubby today? Any tootsie rolls yet?

catcrazylady
11-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Debbie that was such a wonderful and heartwarming post! It has to be good when he's eating most everything put in front of him!!!
Praying for tootsie rolls!!:D :D :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-26-2004, 10:04 AM
There's an uppydate posted here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64569&perpage=15&pagenumber=2)

Thanksgiving with mom was nice. Too much food, but fun.