PDA

View Full Version : Zoomies

Miranda_Rae
11-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Heidi seems to get the zoomies at agility class once in awhile, even if I exercise her (example: a three mile bike ride). I was wondering you guys had any tips so that she wouldn't get the zoomies, or tips to avoid her getting the zoomies. Its rather embarressing. :rolleyes: Tonight is my last class, and I want it to go smoothly, with no circles around the room. :o So tips would be appreciated. :)

K9soul
11-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Hmmm I'm not really sure other than exercise. Perhaps try to get her really focused on you first by giving really basic obedience commands and then rewarding with a tasty treat? I'm not sure how Heidi is but both Tommy and Tasha are very treat-driven and if they realize they can earn treats easily, they get VERY focused on me. If you can get her really zeroed in on you it might prevent her getting the zoomies :)

Miranda_Rae
11-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Yes, Heidi is very treat motived (and thats how they train in the agility class) and even if she is focused on me she will just be like, "I have to take my little run. Be back in a moment Mom!" :rolleyes: You can barrow her for a day and see what I mean. ;) Its very frustrating. I am always making her sit or down or whatever there when she isn't doing the equipment.

K9soul
11-20-2004, 01:51 PM
It really sounds like you're already doing the things I would try. She is just youthfully exuberant :). I have to admit though picturing her taking her zoom around the classroom puts a grin on my face :D Perhaps others will have further suggestions for you.

Miranda_Rae
11-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Lol...my mom finds it humerous too, but I don't! I find it rather embarressing. :o Anyway, she did well tonight. They had a little competition thing and we got 2nd and 3rd twice. Yay!! I am sure she would have done much better but I goofed up the last time. :o My fault. She didn't get the zoomies because the only time she was off leash was when we were running the course. Although she is really tired. My aunt and her 2 kids, my grandparents, my aunt and my cousin all came to watch. :) I have such a supportive family. There was this pug there that did NOT want to do anything. I felt sorry for the guy. So tonight went well. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-20-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm glad your Agility class went well tonight:D Congrats to you and Heidi!

bckrazy
11-20-2004, 10:52 PM
aww, congrats! she sounds like she's doing really well. ^__~ lmao.. I would love to see Heidi zooming around the room!

Crikit
11-20-2004, 11:37 PM
Ahhh the zoomies, do I know what those are about. Tama constantly gets the zoomies and you know what I do about them? Nothing not a darn thing, I figure that agility is supposed to be a fun sport for both the handler and the dog and if he's having fun doing the zoomies why not let him do it. There will always be plenty of time later on when the the dog has more experience to worry about things like that. In the beginning stages it's more important that the dog is enjoying themselves and that you and her are forming a good team bond.

I know it's embarassing for you when she does it believe me I know I've had my guys get the zoomies in the middle of a trial and well I've just laughed it off with the judge. Yes the judge has laughed and there's a good reason for that, there isn't an agility handler out there (even world class ones) that haven't had a dog do that to them at some point in time.

If you do want some exercises though to maybe get her to focus on you more try doing some attention work, but keep in mind that in agility you have to find a balance of handler focus and equipment focus.

Mind you just because I let my guys get away with the occasional zoomie doesn't mean that it's your thing. All I can really suggest is to keep positive and upbeat at all times and if for some reason she does get the zoomies when she finally gives you the attention that you want and gets back to work act like nothing happened and do just that go back to work. In other words reward or awknowledge the behaviour that you want and not the zoomie. When she gets more confidence she'll eventurally stop it on herself, and figure out that good things happen when she pays attention to mom and does the stuff she's supposed to do. Remember that in agility 90% of the mistakes made on course are the handlers fault and not the dogs.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-20-2004, 11:47 PM
I know the zoomies all too well! In tango's obedience classes she would get a VERY bad case of the zoomies when we were being taught the off-leash heeling:p

Jods
11-21-2004, 09:58 AM
LOL what are zoomies???

Miranda_Rae
11-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Jods
LOL what are zoomies???

Where they run around the room in circles. well thats what happens in Heidi's case. :rolleyes:

Crikit, yep I know that 90% of the mistakes on the agility course is the handlers fault, my teachers tell us that all the time.

Thanks guys for all the tips! :)