PDA

View Full Version : Ack, I'm one sick puppy! :(

NoahsMommy
11-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Disclaimer: Forgive me posting this in Cat General, I just feel better sharing this here.

I went to my doctor for my follow up appointment after my hospital stay (11/3-11/5) yesturday. I've been feeling pretty horrible, despite having a new wonderful job, although I know I may be stressed with wanting to be perfect. ;)

He upped my dose of Pentasa, the medication made for Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease from 8 pills daily to 12 pills daily.

That isn't what freaked me out though. He added a new medication for me, Entocort EC (Budesonide). I'm taking three 3 mg capsules each morning for at least a month, then we'll taper my dose down after that. He said the standard dose it 3mg (1 pill). Entocort is a steroid, but with fewer side effects than Pred. Its made specifically for Crohn's Disease, so that's kind of neat knowing it was made for my health issues.

I'm kind of worried about the possible side effects though. It can cause weight gain, something I've never had to deal with. It also greatly decreases your immune system. If I get sick, I'll get it worse and then that usually causes an attack. I decided that last night I'm going to make sure my butt is in yoga at least twice a week, I'm eating super heathy and taking all my vitamins.

This will bring my pill total to 16 pills a day. Not counting vitamins and iron. Its time for a new pill holder thingy.

I got to see the results of my CT scan too. That was interesting. I haven't advanced much, so that's a good thing. :) I also saw part of my chart my GI has for me while he was making sure my pharmacy not only had my medication, but to check to see how much it would be with my insurance. (Have I said yet today how much I love that guy??) I guess he does a write up on his patients after each visit/hospital stay. It said "Kelly is a charming, 26-year-old young woman..." Charming?? How sweet!!! Especially since patients don't usually see their own charts. :)

All in all, he's a bit worried about me. He says that based on the biopsys they took two years ago, I shouldn't have this much pain. He talked about Remicade, but said we want to have options in the future. (Its an IV treatment that will make you feel better, but you can only have it like 3 times in a lifetime...and I only have 1 of those! ;) )

Anyway, I just thought I'd update you all.

kimlovescats
11-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Kelly, first of all you ARE a charming and beautiful young lady!;)
Bless your heart, you have so many health issues, honey. I thought I had alot of pills to take, but you have me beat by a long shot. I am glad that your doctor is taking every possible avenue he can find to help you feel better. I know this is all bound to get very discouraging for you at times. Please know that I am here and available whenever you need me!

Love and (((HUGS)))
Kim;)

wolflady
11-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Gosh, Kelly...16 pills a day! :eek: I'm sorry you're having such a hard time right now. You'll do great in your new job, so try not to stress about it too much. You are a "charming young women" ;) and anywhere you work will be blessed by your presence and talent. No need to worry yourself so much there, hon!
I know there are other things happening, that may be adding to that stress level too, so please know that I'm also here whenever you need me. I can't wait for Thanksgiving! I'll bring Micah's toys down and you can some spend an afternoon with the fam...and that will hopefully make you feel good! ;)

Prayers for you too!
**hugs**
Karen

emily_the_spoiled
11-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Yes, your MD is right one of the possible side effects of Entocort is weight gain. But you will be happy to know that most of that is related to water retention. So once you taper off the meds you will usually lose most of the weight gained while on them.

You also need to be really careful about your immune system. Is there any way you can get a flu shot before starting the meds (if you haven't already)? If not make sure to wash your hands alot and use some of that antiseptic hand gel (keep a little container in your purse). Be really careful around the kids in the new job. Kids are just one great big germ factory (don't get mad at me but it is true).

But I would definitely recommend keeping this MD, there are not many out there like that.

Cheryl

NoahsMommy
11-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Karen, you're on. :) Is it next week yet? ;)

Cheryl, I already took my first dose. I took some "emergen - C" this morning because it has B-vitamins in it. That'll usually ward off any tummy upsets when taking new medicine. I read that part about not getting any live vaccines, and not being around anyone exposed to measles or chicken pox. That's a really good idea to get some of that anti-bac stuff to keep in my purse.

I'm staying with this doctor for forever! :) He's such a wonderful and smart man. I've never trusted anyone like I trust him.

I took one of his cards because I misplaced mine. I've been seeing him for almost two years and knew he was a GI, but didn't know anything else. His card says:

Sharam Daneshgar, M.D.
Gastroenterology,
Endoscopy & Colonoscopy

Diplomate: American Board of Internal Medicine
Diplomate: Subspecialty Board of Gastroenterology

I didn't know he was also an internist. Now I don't feel bad for coming to him for EVERYTHING that's wrong with me. ;)

Kim, Thanks for your kinds words. :)

Samantha Puppy
11-19-2004, 01:20 PM
As someone who suffers from Crohn's-type "issues", I very much sympathize with you. I hope these pills are what you need, get you feeling like yourself again, get off of being on so many and keep the Crohn's under control. :(

Let me know if you need anything - even if it's just the support of someone who understands what you are going through.

NoahsMommy
11-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Let me know if you need anything - even if it's just the support of someone who understands what you are going through.
Thank you! :)

(I hope you're feeling OK too. :) )

lynnestankard
11-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Dear Kelly - of course your charming and beautiful and gentle and lovely. young lady. My heart goes out to you - 16 tablets a day - good grief - I thought my nine was enough!!

Your doc., sounds wonderful - no wonder you're going to stick with him.
You must be worried about the new medication - but the trust you have in Dr Daneshgar, will help you overcome the worry. He's obviously very caring and wouldn't prescibe a medication that would be harmful to you.

Taek lots of care sweetheart {{{{Hugs}}}} across the miles Kelly.

Lynne

NoahsMommy
11-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Lynne,

Thank you for your beautiful words. You always know how to make me feel so good. :)

I feel so much better after reading this:

Recommended dosage

ADULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The recommended dosage is 9 milligrams (three 3-milligram capsules) every morning for up to 8 weeks. Your doctor may reduce the dose to 6 milligrams per day for the last 2 weeks of treatment. If symptoms return, the doctor can prescribe another 8-week course of therapy.

I'm so glad. I thought I was going to grow facial hair, get lots of acne and get all swollen. Thank goodness!!!!

:)

Tonya
11-19-2004, 04:18 PM
You poor thing. :( I am sorry that you have so much to worry about at such a young age. I hope that you can get well soon and be able to cut back on the meds.

micki76
11-19-2004, 08:42 PM
I'm glad your visit went well, Kelly. And I'm glad you have a Dr that you like so much - that's so important. :)

My Dr has mentioned the same medication, but as you know, I'm putting off the meds. I know it's a silly way to be, but I just want to "save" it until I really "need" it. :rolleyes:

Another thing you should get besides the antiseptic hand gel, is a container of Lysol or Clorox wipes. You can whip one out and use it on the the grocery cart handle, door handles (like at the dr's office!) and all sorts of other germy things. :)

I hope this medicine works for you, I know you have a lot of pain. I think about you a lot and will keep you in my thoughts. You know I'm here anytime you ever need me, and totally understand how you're feeling.

iloverat
11-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Kelly,

I can really empathize with you as I have a chronic condition called Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis which causes many of the same problems as Crohn's. I've taken prednisone many times in my life and I'm writing to say I'm sure you will handle it all just fine. I've been in horrible pain before where I couldn't eat at all and the steroids reduced the inflammation within a week. I hope you will get maximum benefit with minimum side effects. :) I've only taken prednisone, never Entocort, so I don't know how the dosages compare. I've taken up to 60 mg of prednisone a day and have never had a secondary infection from the compromised immunity. Just use common sense and stay away from folks with the flu, etc and you should be AOK. Good luck and I hope you feel LOTS better quickly!!!!!!! Hang in there!!!

Bobbi

catcrazylady
11-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Kelly you are one of the sweetest, kindest, and most gentle and loving person that I have met on PT. How could your doctor not notice that?
I'm so sorry that you have experience all these health problems. :( It's amazing to me that with all you have going on you still find the time and energy to give so much love and care to your babies. I think you have some very lucky furbabies Kelly!:D
You are in my prayers and I hope the new meds make things easier for you.

catmandu
11-20-2004, 08:28 AM
When,The Found Cats,and I say our Prayers,tonight,Kelly,you will be in them,and we truly pray,that you are well soon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-20-2004, 09:49 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that you have so many health problems too. I have never heard of this Crohn's disease before... . I hope you find what you need in those pills !!:)

slick
11-20-2004, 10:05 AM
{{{HUGS}}} to a very special purrson!
Kelly, I'm so sorry, but happy that you are so pleased with this doctor. Prayers on the way and you know that I'm just an email away. I wish I could fly down there and be with you but my words will just have to do for now.

love always
slick
xoxo

NoahsMommy
11-20-2004, 01:19 PM
:) You guys are so sweet and you sure know how to make a person feel loved, thank you.

One side effect I've gotten to experience is total calmness. I feel like I'm on pain medication...all the time. :eek: That's kind of strange. Its taking me a lot longer to do normal things. Last night on the way home, I went to the grocery store for about 20 items...it took me almost an hour and a half!! I have no idea what I was doing to make it such a long trip...but do remember choosing the broccoli I wanted was really, really hard.

Wierd, huh??