PDA

View Full Version : Spaying Freckles

luckies4me
11-18-2004, 05:14 PM
I have never had to get a dog spayed since I've only owned three female dogs in my life, two of whom were already spayed when I got them. Now that I have Freckles I would like some information regarding spaying. She is now 8 months old and I feel it is time for her to be altered. Is this a reasonable age for her to get spayed? What will I have to expect after surgery? I am a little scared about the whole process as I don't want my girl to be painful. Can anyone give me some advice and let me know what to expect? I know, I am just a worry wart! :o :rolleyes:

aly
11-18-2004, 05:25 PM
You don't need to worry at all! It is a very routine surgery and I'm sure she'll be just fine.

I would get her spayed ASAP before she goes into her first heat (which is usually betwee 6-9 months of age).

All dogs handle the surgery differently. Some have a harder time than others. It is a more invasive procedure for females so they generally take a bit longer to recover. It isn't too bad though. My little Cinny came out of her surgery VERY well and she was just a little skinny thing (also she had the added complication to her surgery which you know about if you read her first thread :( ).

I see hundreds and hundreds of surgeries every week at the shelter and help in recovery as they are waking up. I've seen very few complications over the past 4 or 5 years.

If she's still groggy when you get her, it helps to sit outside with her and get fresh air. Try to limit her activity, especially jumping, for a few days. You might want to give her limited amounts of food and water for the first day, but after that she can go back to normal eating/drinking.

A little throwing up can be normal. Your vet may give you advice on what to look out for. They also might give you an after-care sheet and tell you some extra information.

Good luck! I'm sure she'll be just fine!

GoldenRetrLuver
11-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Both of my girls were spayed at 6 months. I've found that that is the *ideal* age for them to be spayed. So, yes, Freckles should be spayed as soon as possible. :)

Most vets say no food/drink the night (or even the whole day, 24 hours) before she's spayed. You could contact your vet for all of the information on that, I'm sure.

After her surgery, you should limit her activity. No jumping on people, furniture, etc. because of her stitches, for around 1-2 weeks.

I don't know if I helped much.. but I'm sure others here could give you more exact information.

luckies4me
11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by aly
I would get her spayed ASAP before she goes into her first heat (which is usually betwee 6-9 months of age).

We plan on doing it ASAP! I don't need a bloody hyper dog running around the house LOL.

Since I've worked at many vet clinics I've seen tons of dog spays, but I don't know, I just feel so helpless when it comes to my own pets. :o Granted, I've seen a hundred more cat spays than dog spays, which is why I am a little worried, and from the cat ones I've seen........wow. I hated monitoring the cats after their spays. They would just flop around in the cage. :(

4 Dog Mother
11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
I had Pippi spayed last week. I took her in between 8 and 9 in the morning and picked her up between 3 and 4. She was pretty groggy when I picked her up and slept alot that evening and all night. The vet gave me pain pills to give her starting the next morning. I was told to keep her quiet and away from the other dogs - so unless I could hold her she was in her kennel. It may have been because she has 5 older and larger siblings but I was told to keep her quiet and away from them for 5 -7 days. We lasted five days but after that she could not resist playing with them. I figured by then she she be able to know if they were hurting her and would stop if they were getting too rough. (which she is usually the roughest of the bunch!)

I think her recovery period was rougher on me than her. I worried about her alot but she seemed to handle the whole thing well.

luckies4me
11-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver

Most vets say no food/drink the night (or even the whole day, 24 hours) before she's spayed. You could contact your vet for all of the information on that, I'm sure.

After her surgery, you should limit her activity. No jumping on people, furniture, etc. because of her stitches, for around 1-2 weeks.

Yep, I know about the not feeding thing. One thing that concerns me though is her energy level. I mean, being part Aussie she has a TON of energy. I think I may just keep her in the room for a few days so I can monitor her. I feel like such a wimp LOL. :o :p

aly
11-18-2004, 05:38 PM
The cats do have a harder time with it than the dogs. Its also harder to get the tubes in the cats, etc. Don't worry, Freckles is a big sturdy dog. I bet your biggest problem will be how to keep her calm!

luckies4me
11-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother
I had Pippi spayed last week. I took her in between 8 and 9 in the morning and picked her up between 3 and 4. She was pretty groggy when I picked her up and slept alot that evening and all night. The vet gave me pain pills to give her starting the next morning. I was told to keep her quiet and away from the other dogs - so unless I could hold her she was in her kennel. It may have been because she has 5 older and larger siblings but I was told to keep her quiet and away from them for 5 -7 days. We lasted five days but after that she could not resist playing with them. I figured by then she she be able to know if they were hurting her and would stop if they were getting too rough. (which she is usually the roughest of the bunch!)

I think her recovery period was rougher on me than her. I worried about her alot but she seemed to handle the whole thing well.

Oh I am so glad you mentioned the kennel. Do you think it would be mean to keep her in the kennel while we are away and cannot monitor her? I think that might be the best thing. I wonder why in earth I didn't think of that! Maybe even perhaps kennel her when people come over? She gets really excited when people come to visit.

I'll definitely be giving her a post surgical pain injection. I was always so angry when people would schedule spays and NOT want to give their animal the pain injection. I just wanted to tell them "How about we cut into you and not give you any pain meds!" :mad:

luckies4me
11-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by aly
The cats do have a harder time with it than the dogs. Its also harder to get the tubes in the cats, etc. Don't worry, Freckles is a big sturdy dog. I bet your biggest problem will be how to keep her calm!

Exactly! LOL!:p

4 Dog Mother
11-19-2004, 08:01 AM
I kennel all my dogs when we are not here mostly because occasionally they fight and since I never know when or why this may happen and I don't want anyone to get hurt. Since some of our company don't care for dogs who jump and because six dogs are quite a few for anyone to endure all at once, we sometimes kennel them when we have company. (Usually we start letting them out one at a time.) Right now I am not working and am home most of the time so they aren't kenneled that much during the day.

ANYWAY, the point I am trying to make is that I think kenneling is the right thing to do if you are not going to be there - that way she cannot jump on and off furniture and hurt herself. And the same when company is there. She may not like it but better that she not hurt herself.

Jods
11-19-2004, 12:02 PM
aaaaaaaaaaah what are you worried about cats being spayed???????????????????????????????????????????? ?:( :( :( :(

aly
11-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Jods
aaaaaaaaaaah what are you worried about cats being spayed???????????????????????????????????????????? ?:( :( :( :(

I knew my words would come back to bite me :o

I'm sorry if I made you nervous. DON'T worry though. I just said that they have a harder time because they are smaller. That isn't to say they have a terrible time with it though. Just generally dogs can take it better because they are bigger and sturdier. But most cats bounce back just fine! I got Skylar, Lucky, and Chance neutered on the same day and it was all I could do to keep them calm! I had to isolate them in the bathrooms to make them take naps!! Then I had Missy and Maya done at the same time and Merlin and Motor done at the same time. They all strutted back in here just hours after surgery acting like normal, just a bit sleepy!

Aspen and Misty
11-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Just wanted to say good luck to Freckles.

The only dog I've ever had spayed was Nova and it didn't go well,
but from what I hear most dog's do fine and I'm sure all the love and care you give freckles she wil pull through wonderfully.

Ashley

luckies4me
11-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
Just wanted to say good luck to Freckles.

The only dog I've ever had spayed was Nova and it didn't go well,
but from what I hear most dog's do fine and I'm sure all the love and care you give freckles she wil pull through wonderfully.

Ashley

Thank you! :D

dappledoxie
11-20-2004, 03:41 PM
I agree with what others have said, spay her before her first heat most definatly to cut down on the possiblity of cancer later. :D Good luck cute little Freckles :D

Cazi
11-20-2004, 04:35 PM
I've just started work at a Vets and they recommend spaying 3 months after a season.

The other thing that the vet advised me about was keeping an eye on the dogs weight after the spay as they tend to put on a little.

luckies4me
11-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Is it possible for dogs to go into heat and not bleed? She seems swollen down there. :confused:

Cazi
11-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Is it her first?

Amber is 19 months old and she has had only one and she was quite 'late' with the first one ( 14 months old).

She was swollen for about a week, bled for one week, and was swollen for a further week.

The swelling that you refer to could be the beginning of her season.

luckies4me
11-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Cazi
Is it her first?

Amber is 19 months old and she has had only one and she was quite 'late' with the first one ( 14 months old).

She was swollen for about a week, bled for one week, and was swollen for a further week.

The swelling that you refer to could be the beginning of her season.

Well, my friend came over to "have a look" and supposedly she's not in heat. I think I will take her in just to make sure though. The earliest time I can get is the 15th of December. I just hope she can wait that long!

Shelteez2
11-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Is it possible for dogs to go into heat and not bleed? She seems swollen down there. :confused:

Every dog is different but I believe they only bleed for about a week that they are in season. They can be bred anytime in the 3 weeks they are in it though so be careful if she is in season.

luckies4me
11-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Every dog is different but I believe they only bleed for about a week that they are in season. They can be bred anytime in the 3 weeks they are in it though so be careful if she is in season.

Oh I most definitely will! No puppies for me!;)