PDA

View Full Version : Rusty, the new boy

mruffruff
11-18-2004, 11:57 AM
This is Rusty. He was trapped last week and went to the vets for the big snip and test. He's a friendly little guy who doesn't mind being picked up and petted. He also gives lots of head bumpies. And he's getting along pretty well with the other six.

He went back to the vet Monday for a blood test because he's been processing 8 ounces of water every 3 hours. His blood test came back fine, no diabetes or kidney problems. The vet seems to think he's just flushing the anesthetics and worm meds. After a week, I would think he's pretty well "flushed" by now.

This is the first time I've had this happen. Anybody else?

Mary

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/mruffruff/Rusty.jpg

dukedogsmom
11-18-2004, 12:02 PM
He's so cute! What a pretty cat. I'm not familiar with cats so I can't help you there.

Logan
11-18-2004, 12:12 PM
He is so handsome, Mary!!! :) Is he staying?? Sure sounds like it!!! :D

Sorry I have no advice on the water thing, but it sounds like you have ruled out the most obvious things, so maybe he's making up for lost time on a fresh source of water. You think?

Logan

mina'smomma
11-18-2004, 12:12 PM
OH he is sooo pretty.

cruisetime
11-18-2004, 12:53 PM
He is pretty!!! :) Is he a new addition to your family? I'm not sure of the water thing either - I noticed the other day mine drank a ton and went in the litter box a ton too but then seemed to level out her drinking????? Debbie

mruffruff
11-18-2004, 03:09 PM
He's not SUPPOSED to be staying, but I said that about the other 6!:D

Of all the cats I've trapped and fostered, I've never had one need so much water, even after surgery.

I alerted the shelter that I had him, but since they have so many, I think I'll wait until his water usage goes down. Right now they have 134 dogs and 100 cats. Most of them are black, the hardest to get adopted. Rusty would probably get adopted soon, but I want to let the black ones have a chance.

Besides, he's the only one I can hold!

Mary

kimlovescats
11-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Welcome Rusty! What a handsome fella he is! I guess pee pee-ing too much is better than not enough!:eek: ;)

catcrazylady
11-18-2004, 05:39 PM
What an incredibly handsome boy! He is adorable! I love that sweet little face.
No advice on the peeing situation. I'm going to guess it's a good thing because the opposite would be really really bad!
Keep us posted and hopefully he will level out once he realizes that he has fresh water available at all times. Maybe that is something new to him. Poor thing.

catmandu
11-19-2004, 10:50 AM
7,is such a lucky number,thats the excuse,that I gave myself,when it was Sammys turn,and that turned out very well,and I think,that Rusty,will too.After all,yours,is the best place,that Rusty,could be in.

mruffruff
12-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Well----------------I took Rusty back to the vet for his booster shot yesterday. The vet did another blood test to se if she could find a reason for his excessive drinking and peeing. She concluded that it's normal for him. Absolutely nothing showed up.

I'd like to find a good home for him. How can anyone not love this face?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/mruffruff/Rustysface.jpg

smokey the elder
12-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Did the vet check his sugar level? Excessive drinking and peeing may be diabetes. He's such a handsome sweet boy.

NKBurlington
12-03-2004, 03:29 PM
What a sweet face! Very beautiful eyes.

RedHedd
12-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Hmm .... excessive drinking and peeing .... perhaps something's awry with his kidneys? I know those were Mishi's symptoms. Our vet could actually feel the difference in his kidneys - one's shrunken and not functioning well and the other is enlarged and taking over for all of his kidney function (and doing quite well, thank you God! Mishi is almost completely symptom free on his low-protein K/D diet.

QueenScoopalot
12-03-2004, 05:06 PM
What a handsome (I shouldn't say pretty, which is more fitting) cat! I love the amber colored eyes against his pale beige and white fur. No more advice that hasn't been posted already about the excessive water consumption, but he looks very young to me. No jowls that one would expect from an older intact male. Any age guess?

lisalee
12-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Rusty is just beautiful and looks so sweet!:)

ChrisH
12-04-2004, 08:41 AM
He is so beautiful!

mruffruff
12-07-2004, 12:42 PM
He has been checked for diabetes (my first thought) and anything else we could think of. Two blood tests and still nothing. The vet said as long as his urine stays dilute, it shouldn't be a problem. Of course, she isn't scooping triple-sized pee biscuits!

Rusty is about a year old. He's very sweet to the other cats, wanting to rub against them and be friends. Unfortunately, the other cats aren't always interested.

His eyes have a fine line of tan around them, making them stand out.

He might just stay. We'll have to wait and see.

Mary

Barbara
12-07-2004, 12:51 PM
He is simply adorable. I put him on my "steal this cat" list. What a face! And the eyes! So sweet.