PDA

View Full Version : HELP HELP HELP!!!! How Long till I really KNOW my Cat??

cruisetime
11-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Meka is driving us nuts!!! First few days she explored but was content to stay with us and even liked being on my lap.. She had just gotten spayed so I'm sure she was in pain. Then she started getting playful and fun and NO LAP time- she didn't want it. Then she started pushing EVERY button she can think of to irritate us - doing everything including biting and scratching and getting on everything and and and and - she ran out the door to the garage AGAIN! THis time she ran out under hubby's truck (the garage door was down) and I had to soak her with the squirt gun for her to run and she ran right back in the house so I know she knows she is suppose to be there..... HELP HELP HELP!!! Hubby told me last night to just leave her out there! Matter of fact to just put her outside and oh well...... He was tired of her and stressed out already on other stuff... When do I know her actual personality and what she will be like... It has only been 6 weeks. Vet said she is 2-1/2 years old but she acts 6 weeks old!!! Maybe she never had a kittenhold (childhood) and when she feels safe now she is having fun??????????? HELP!!!! Debbie

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Debbie, it will take time and...well...even after you think you know them they go and pull stunts that surprise the bejeezez out of you!

Cats do pick up on your stress and will act out on it, so it sounds like that might be what's happening. Is what she's doing really all that terrible that you have to keep at her? I only ask because maybe the best thing to do would be to just ignore her. Or, another option might be to confine her to one room for time outs when she is naw-tee. This might be the better option because then she can do whatever she wants in that one room so she is less stressed, and you and hubby don't have to constantly keep watching her so you are less stressed.

Even 2 1/2 year old cats have a lot of play in them. MUCH less than a kitten, but they're not sofa slugs by any means at 2 1/2. My only other suggestion would be to get her a playmate - as in another kitty - but I don't know if that would be the best thing for you right now.

Play with her, keep her entertained, get her a cat tree to climb on, etc. But DO NOT just put her outside! That would be the absolute worse thing in the world you could do and would solve nothing. As for being in the garage, there's no problem with that either as long as you know she's there and remove her before moving any of the vehicles. Tubby ADORES being in the garage with his Daddy. ;) :D

Anyway, if you're all stressed for other reasons, my advice to just have patience isn't very good advice at all, but I know with time she will settle in and you will get to know her better too.

QueenScoopalot
11-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Have you considered getting a second kitty for Meka to redirect her energy, and occasional aggression? Something to consider. :confused:

catnapper
11-18-2004, 12:55 PM
I hear your dilemma... but as Jan suggested (and I thought yesterday) a second cat would really make a huge difference for her behavior. I see what it did for Allen, and many other here on PT had a lonely cat, then when they added a second one, they saw an improvement in their first cat's temperment and mannerisms. Hubby might balk at the concept, but HONESTLY, once you have two cats, you'll wonder why you didn't get two right away.

cruisetime
11-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Debbie - thank you so much for any incite you can give me. As for what she is doing that we stay on her is going into the pantry everytime I open it and not wanting to come out. We put the trash in there to keep it away from her so I go in just to throw something away and she darts in and hides behind the trash. I used to let it go and let her explore but then one time she found her food and decided to rip the bag and scatter the food everywhere! I cleaned the pantry somewhat knowing I better clean it better within a day because of ants - then she got in again and I thought "well the food is all out of her reach no big deal" and she got into the clay litter bag (I switching to clumping) and got it everywhere!!! Glad I hadn't cleaned all the food yet. Then I thought it was safe and she found small bag of food on shelves two up from the floor (and the pantry is only the size of the trash can (not really walk in) and got the bags of food and brought it out with her. Thought that was cute till the next time - I want her out of the pantry! SO. That went on at least 10 times last night. Then darting out the door to the garage - well we don't want her doing this because the garage door is not always closed..... The other well she darts in our two bedrooms that we have the doors closed to if we go in them for a second but we have all our furniture and electronic equipment in there and a lot of stuff for her to get hurt on because we got it out of the way of the tile people coming..... I have learned to just shut the door and leave the light off and come back in about 2-3 minutes and she will be by the door wanting out. Then she is trying to eat the power cords... OK - so after those which aren't sooooo bad then it comes down to bite and scratch everything that moves including legs, feet, hands etc. It is like a little hyper machine that won't stop! We just want a little rest - kind of like a baby crying that won't stop.

I really would love to get her a playmate and see if that helps - might try that if hubby forces me to give her up I can try to bring a cat from a friends house in and see - I wanted to do this already but her cats got ringworm and gave it to me and her and her family and this was 2-1/2 months ago and although gone it is not totally gone from me so I get the feeling it doesn't ever really go away so I'm afraid Meka will get it..... Even though the cats are supposedly free of it.... So that will be a last resort...

Why is she terriorizing us??????? It did seem to start when we pulled most of the furniture up last wednesday (a week ago) for the tile people that got put off till this weekend....

Debbie

cruisetime
11-18-2004, 01:19 PM
The only problem with getting two cats is that there is no guarantee...... If there was and she didn't just hate the second cat I'd go for it quick but since there isn't a guarantee hubby would kill me! He really wasn't all for the first one but said ok when I told him the only thing we could loose is the $100 it took for the Animal Control and vet bills and food and litter... He said it would be worth trying for $100. She was next in line to get killed and was so friendly. WELLLLLLLLL... So much for friendly! Now hubby is about to tell me to take her back and that stresses me out even more! He won't work with me to get her better. He had it with her when she attacked him last weekend and wouldn't let go. He had to pick her off him and she had teech and nails dug in! His arm was a mess!!!! I can't really say I blame him. If she had done it to me she probably would have been at ANimal Control Monday morning. Hubby would have insisted as he is real protective of me and knows that I was scared of cats to begin with since a stray kept attacking me. SOOOO.. How can I get a second cat (which he wouldn't allow me to spend money on since no guarantee) and then what??? HELP!!! Plus we travel to an RV once every two weekends or so and she travels ok but a lot of cats don't.... Debbie

Craftlady
11-18-2004, 03:20 PM
My advise would be to confine her to a smaller area/room. Have litter, water, food in this area. Give her some toys. Slowly allow her to explore other areas of the house, have her in this smaller area for a couple days then move her to intermediate area with little more space. Eventually, full run of the house.
I'm reading in your descriptions of everything allot of stress coming from yourself and your husband. Cat's will play off of stress.

If it becomes to stressful to be a cat owner it's ok. People wont think bad of you. If you were to decide that animal ownership isn't for you and your husband, please find a loving home. Avoid kill shelter.

catcrazylady
11-18-2004, 06:02 PM
I too am picking up on a lot of tension from you. It sounds like things were ok in the beginning when she was kind of lazy but now that she is a healthy, happy, and very bouncy young cat she is becoming a problem. Some cats are just way more active than others and I think she sounds very bored. Do you spend time playing with her? I know we spend lots of time wearing our youngsters out in the evening. We have the laser light and Rosco bounces off of the walls when we have that out but he settles down once his energy has been released. Maybe you should try spending time with string toys and rolling balls with her. Anything to get her moving so she uses up that energy that is getting her in trouble.
You are right that there is no way to know for sure if another cat would help or not. I think the more you confine her and limit her the more bored she is going to become and make things worse when she is loose.
As for her attacking your husband I think that some cats just don't do well playing with people. They get to rough and that really hurts! Try to redirect her energy onto a toy that she can attack. When Magoo was so aggressive we got him a stuffed toy and tied a string to it and let him kick his stuffed chickens butt instead of ours!! That worked for us because he got his aggression out on the toy and we turned it into play time for us. Everybody was happy then!

Just remember that they are like kids and want attention. Bad attention is better than no attention at all. If all else fails....she will outgrow it eventually. Don't stop loving her but if you can't tolerate her then maybe you should think about rehoming her. Please, if it comes to that be selective and please don't take her back to the kill shelter. Once a cat has been adopted and then returned their chances are really narrowed for a second adoption.
Hang in there and remember we are here to listen and help if we can.

Jods
11-18-2004, 06:15 PM
By the sounds of this I don't really know if a second cat would be a good idea... Your already having trouble with the first and if it doesn't work out you have 2 cats to find homes for. Honestly your cat is acting like a CAT!! lol sorry to put it this way, it seems to me as if she's enjoying the attention right now being naughty.... If you ignore her it may help. I hope it ends up working out for you every cat is different not all cats are lap cats and maybe she's npt she just acted that way at first cuz she was in a shelter. Good luck anyways and really think before you get another cat. :D

kimlovescats
11-18-2004, 06:40 PM
I agree that your kitty is sensing yours and your hubby's frustrations. She may also be sensing your undlying fear that you said you have had for cats in the past. Given the circumstances, I don't think another cat is your solution. I honestly feel that if this is so stressful for you, then it would be in the cat's best interest to find her another home. PLEASE don't take her to a shelter that euthanizes .... she deserves another chance to do what she loves best ... be a cat!;)

dukedogsmom
11-18-2004, 06:47 PM
I agree that she could be picking up on your anxieties. I have been that way with Doogie, feeling I couldn't relax at all unless he was in the kennel. Yes, he's jumping on things but not as much as when he got here. I've started relaxing and he actually slept in my lap today for 1 1/2 hours! So, I say to give all of you more time.

cruisetime
11-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Hubby was what really had me stressed - he was on his last once of control with everything going on in our lives and him telling me to take her back got me really stressed - so anyway we talked last night and he is much calmer. Before we got home he got the idea to take her for a ride in the truck so we did go to the local supermarket with her in the truck - he stayed in the truck with her while I ran in. She was played out when we got home. The biggest part is her biting and scratching. We will be patient. We carried her into the garage and walked around so she could see everything. We will back the car and truck out and let her loose in there another time but I want to carry her each time over the threshold because I do NOT want her to learn it is ok to dart out doors - this has me really worried as we go camping in an RV - and she could so easily get out and get lost...

She is bored - you guys are right - BUT the more we play and we play a lot with her - the more excited she getts and then she starts attacking us - feet and ankles. She doesn't ever seem to get tired or if she does she takes a 5-10 minute cat nap and is attacking us wanting more play...........

We will be patient and she is picking up our stress. Also with the furniture gone and us ripping up carpet last night it will be better when we come home Sunday I hope and can put the furniture back out on new tile.... Then get back to a normal routine which I am sure she misses....

Thank you all for being there for me!!!!!! :) Debbie

kimlovescats
11-19-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm glad things seem better today ... we all have "those days" when things seem bleak at best! ;) Hang in there!

(hugs)
Kim

catmandu
11-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Not only was Pouncer wild,but my Brother gave up,on JJJ3,as he was into everything,knocking things over,and for a while,he did that at The Hotel,but now he is a Wonderful Companion.Meka,has to sow her wild oats,maybe an interactive Cat Toy,to exhaust her,a bit.

cruisetime
11-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Do I count as an interactive toy???? hahahahaha Meka thinks so!! :) :) :)

I will try to find the laser light great idea! - what exactly is it called and where do I find it??? Thank you! Debbie

catland
11-19-2004, 01:36 PM
My little Jan girl, who is five, still has bouts of kitten like energy when she is bored. Her claws are very sharp.

Things that really help include feather sticks (so she can attack the feather and not me:eek: ) and cardboard boxes and paper bags. Another fun game is to get a towel or piece of paper or newspaper and get the feather end of the feather stick under the paper. She loves to pounce on it and attack it.

I've also taken a cardboard box and flipped it upside down and cut open a hole in the side to create a cave for her.

paul_brum2003
11-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Snowball is only around 6 mos old & she sure is a handfull. She is always into things & esp if I am here to tell her "no' which she hears a lot. I carry a fly swatter to use on her because she loves the water & the spray bottle did not bother her at all she thought it was a game.
I wanted a "Lap Cat ' & I got a little spit fire with an attitude. She at times runs in circles or even tries to climb the walls but my husband sayes she is just a kitten so she well out grow a lot of it BUT WHEN.???
I well keep her no matter what because she is my baby but I am beginning to wonder who well win in the long run me or her?

She is all white except for a black spot on her head between her ears & we got her at about 3 to 4 weeks old under our bedroom floor .She cried all one night & the next day [ I was expecting her mommy to come get her but it did not happen ] & she was bearly a handfull when she was brought upstairs /now she is about 4 pounds of attitude. My husband said "Maybe mom left her there because she could not keep track of her eather " & she is a baby doll when she wants to be .
My husband likes to tickle her tummy so she well make squeeking sounds but it also makes her get to biteing & so it is "Fly swatter "time again.
Can you help or give me some ideas on how to quiet her down some?

pauline from Indiana

cruisetime
11-19-2004, 05:03 PM
I tried the toy under paper thing when I went home early and it worked great - except as soon as she was bored she was eyeing my feet! I thought only kittens did this... Anyway I stopped play and she calmed down. Then play time again and very hyper. One day I will learn. We checked into the laser thing and will deffinately get one and try it so the play toy is very far from us!!! Oh Meka is NOT boring!!! :) Debbie

paul_brum2003
11-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Jods
By the sounds of this I don't really know if a second cat would be a good idea... Your already having trouble with the first and if it doesn't work out you have 2 cats to find homes for. Honestly your cat is acting like a CAT!! lol sorry to put it this way, it seems to me as if she's enjoying the attention right now being naughty.... If you ignore her it may help. I hope it ends up working out for you every cat is different not all cats are lap cats and maybe she's npt she just acted that way at first cuz she was in a shelter. Good luck anyways and really think before you get another cat. :D
I thank it well be ok in time & she well be ok . I do not want to get another cat to put with her because I was lucky to get her & at times she is so sweet .Right now [since I am up ]she is in sleeping on my bed & I think part of it is that we did get her so young so we well both have to learn together.She just has a lot of energy & does not know where to put it all right now plus this is the first kitten I have ever had [ I had one a lot older years ago plus got him when he was like 4 years old so this is a new ball game for me ] so we are both learning together.

paul_brum2003
11-20-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by cruisetime
I tried the toy under paper thing when I went home early and it worked great - except as soon as she was bored she was eyeing my feet! I thought only kittens did this... Anyway I stopped play and she calmed down. Then play time again and very hyper. One day I will learn. We checked into the laser thing and will deffinately get one and try it so the play toy is very far from us!!! Oh Meka is NOT boring!!! :) Debbie
My husband lets Snowball bite on his toes & she loves to play in a paper bag.We leave a radio or the TV on for her if we are going to be gone because it makes her even more hyper to be alone .She was meeting us at the door grabing our legs etc & now she lays down to be petted . Do cats go through menapause after surgery because maybe the mood swings are her problem also?

paul_brum2003
11-20-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by catland
My little Jan girl, who is five, still has bouts of kitten like energy when she is bored. Her claws are very sharp.

Things that really help include feather sticks (so she can attack the feather and not me:eek: ) and cardboard boxes and paper bags. Another fun game is to get a towel or piece of paper or newspaper and get the feather end of the feather stick under the paper. She loves to pounce on it and attack it.

I've also taken a cardboard box and flipped it upside down and cut open a hole in the side to create a cave for her.
I play under the covers with Snowball so my hand is covered & the teeth do not hurt me . Snowball has learned how not to use her claws when she gets up on us etc & so my legs have a few less scratches on them now. She has a cardboard box she plays in plus a basket she loves & at times she rades the kids toy box if she sees a toy of theirs she likes. We do the towel play & I got a toy from the store with a stick /a feathers snake on it etc she likes to chase around a lot.