PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit owners-- PLEASE help.

flamepony12
11-17-2004, 09:51 PM
-sigh- I dont know WHAT to do!!! Freckles has had this "poop problem" for a looonng time now. Almost since we got him, 3-4 yrs ago!! He poops and then huge clots of it get stuck to his *booty*. It also smells r`e`a`l`l`y bad. :( We change his litter pan EVERY day and clean his cage 1-2 x a week. We're going to try and take him to the vet to see what the problem is too.... any help is greatly appreciated!!!!! :( thanks!!!!

-Devon

sammy101
11-17-2004, 09:53 PM
well i dont own a rabbit,but mabye its the food he's eating?? jsut a suggestion

manda_moo87
11-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Geee... I'm not sure what the problem could be there. I know that sometimes young rabbits approx 4-10 weeks old get a problem like that called "External Impaction" aka "Poo Ball". But I've never heard of an adult rabbit getting it. Hopefully the vet will be able to figure it out.

Karen
11-17-2004, 09:54 PM
What does he eat? Maybe different food would help? How are his teeth? Is he overweight so he can't clean himself? Bunny bath time, at the very least ... A trip to the vet couldn't hurt.

flamepony12
11-17-2004, 10:00 PM
hmm.. we'll try cutting back on his food... he is a little chubby... :p yep, we'll take him to the vet too.

Karen
11-17-2004, 10:07 PM
That's good - the vet can give you recommendations, and tell you if he's overweight and everything! We love the vet's office Miss Hoppy goes to, but SHE doesn't!

flamepony12
11-17-2004, 10:14 PM
lol :p what animal likes the vets office? :p

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by flamepony12
lol :p what animal likes the vets office? :p

Echo LOVES everything about vets!

LKPike
11-18-2004, 07:29 AM
I use to have 2 bunnys, they never had that problem :( I've had a long haired cat to get poo stuck to his fur "back there" though. All it needs is to be shaved/trimmed. Vet or groomer cant do it for cheap price.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-18-2004, 07:32 AM
what are you feeding him? How much fruits and vegetables are you feeding him? You may need to cut back on that and give him more hay instead. Alfalfa may be part of the problem too, I don't know though. Oxbow (http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp) has a great timothy pellet diet that I feed my bunny. My bun gets about 1/2 cup pellets a day along with free feed timothy hay. Mine also gets a cranberry tablet (http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showProduct.sp?PRODUCT_NO=78&cat=44) and a papaya tablet (http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showProduct.sp?PRODUCT_NO=52&cat=44) everyday.

flamepony12
11-18-2004, 07:14 PM
I think we were giving him too much bunny pellets a day- We're cutting back on that- and he doesn't really eat alfalfa hay often, but he has a little feeder thingy of oat hay which he likes. :)

chrissycat21
11-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure whats wrong with Freckles, but I do know older male guinea pigs can get impaction where you actually have to clean them out every day. Thank goodness Taffy doesn't have that problem! Could it be something like that?

Does Freckles get any frest food?

guineapiglover4life
11-18-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure. I don't own a rabbit, and have never had this problem with other pets. Sorry. :(

Karen
11-19-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by flamepony12
I think we were giving him too much bunny pellets a day- We're cutting back on that- and he doesn't really eat alfalfa hay often, but he has a little feeder thingy of oat hay which he likes. :)

Don't give him alfalfa hay - that's just for baby bunnies, it had too much calcium for adult ones. Timothy hay is better, and if he like oat hay, then that, too!

flamepony12
11-19-2004, 08:56 AM
sorry- I meant he doesn't eat alfalfa, he only eats oat, and sometimes timmothy. :) He used to eat alfalfa when he was little. :p

BitsyNaceyDog
11-19-2004, 12:22 PM
What kind of pellets are you feeding? Most pellets, even for adult rabbits are made of alfalfa. It's important that you find a good timothy based pellet for your bunny.