PDA

View Full Version : Tubby's having a bad night :-(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Just so you guys know, I'm not going to post on every minor up or down Tubby has, but tonight he is he worst I've ever seen him. :( :( :(

It all started this morning. Remember I said that as long as he's right there for his treats every morning I wouldn't worry? Well, he wasn't there this morning. :( He was laying in one of his favorite spots and wouldnt' come, so I picked him up and carried him to the kitchen for his medicine and treats. He only nibbled at his treats and didn't even look twice at Peanut's - highly unusual. When he went to walk away, it's like his back legs wouldn't work correctly and he stumbled a bit. I picked him up and carried him to the bedroom for a drink of water then put him on the bed. He stayed for a bit, but then jumped down and stumbled back to his purr pad where he started the morning - and that was where he was when I left this morning.

When I came home, he did get up to greet me, but again his back legs weren't working right. It's like he was tripping over himself. He did beg while we had dinner and even ate what we gave him - whew! I checked the litterboxes and he had been in them and used them, and the food downstairs had been nibbled on, but I can't tell if that was T or P. So after dinner he stumbled to the back door to go out in the garage, which is normal, but made me so sad because it's like his mind still wants to do what he normally does, it's just that his legs aren't cooperating. :(

After we were out in the garage for a bit, I carried him upstairs to snuggle for awhile. Well, he wanted nothing to do with that and only wanted to get to his little bed, which is where he is now, fast asleep.

It was even so bad that Terry - who never notices anything like this - made the comment that Tubby was having a tough time of it tonight and is moving a little slow.:(

It's unusually warm and very damp around here, and I'm hoping it's just the dampness that's making his arthritis flare up? Does that sound right for those of you with arthritis yourselves? I did give him a baby aspirin this morning but can't see any benefit of it as of yet. Hopefully it will kick in and kill some of his arthritis pain. Any other suggestions anyone may have are more than welcome. I just don't want him to hurt. :( He was perfectly fine and acting completely normal as recently as yesterday. :(

I just feel so bad for my big boy. :(

Jods
11-17-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry Tubby's having such a bad day... I know a girl that has arthritis in her knees and it acts up when its raining. I hope this is the case. Get well soon TUBBY!! :(

prechrswife
11-17-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry that I don't have any helpful advice. Hopefully someone will know more than I do. Watching a pet age can really be a tough experience. I hope Tubby will have a better day tomorrow.

jenluckenbach
11-17-2004, 08:07 PM
No real advice, only {{{{HUGS}}}} for you both and prayers.

slick
11-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Oh Debbie, I'm crying as I read this. Poor little Tubby. I sure hope it's just the arthritis and nothing else serious. Could he have just jumped down from somewhere and pulled a muscle? I'm sure that's what happened to Max recently because he was walking the same way for a couple of days, then it cleared up by itself.

I still have his picture up at work here so before I leave to go home I'll give him a kiss and a scritch along with lots of prayers that he gets better soon.

Email me anytime you need to talk.

{{{HUGS}}}
slick
xoxo

cubby31682
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Tubby's walking troubles today.
I can say though from personal experence that my arthritis kicks it in over drive before it rains, during and after. When it snows out, I can feel it really bad. There are days that I don't want to get out of bed because of it. And truth be told I have had a hard time walking because of mine. My knees will go out because they hurt so bad and I can't stand to stand on them. I hope that this is a one or two day thing for Tubby. Good luck with him.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks everybody. He's still sleeping, but has switched positions about 4 times - almost like he can't get comfortable. :(

Slick, I keep forgetting about Max doing that and I guess it's possible. Tubby normally sleeps with me at night but gets up before I do, so it's possible when he jumped out of bed he strained something.

Cubby and Jods, thanks for the insights on the arthritis. I remember hearing stories like that so that's what I was hoping it was. Jods & Cubby, is there anything you do when it flares up bad? Like, if I put a heating pad under his bed, would that help or will that make it worse?

And thanks to everyone for the good thoughts, prayers and especially the hugs. I need them right now. :(

Oh, and Peanut is being a very attentive little girl tonight. I'm on the computer doing school work and she hasn't left my side all night - not even when her daddy came upstairs. It seems she can tell I'm upset and wants to assure me that she's doing good and is her bouncy sweet adorable self - so look at me meowmy! ;)

Jods
11-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Yes, heat does help my friend a lot... She has one of those heat up rice bags you put in the microwave and she also stays off it for a while... So I guess if this is what it is rest and heat will help, but I guess it would be hard to keep him resting... Hope he's feeling better by tommorow...:(

QueenScoopalot
11-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Poor Tubby. :( I hope it's only a touch of athritis, and not anytihng serious. If I recall correctly he's on Cosequin isn't he? A heating pad set on low, and covered by a thick bathmat, or padding may make him more comfortable. I hope Tubby feels better tomorrow. Give him a kiss for me. ;) On the lips! :)

sirrahbed
11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
sorry Tubby is having such a bad day. I know it is very hard to watch and wonder what hurts and why:( (((HUGS))) Hope tomorrow is *much* better! Rain is always so hard on arthritis - even mine:rolleyes:

rosethecopycat
11-17-2004, 09:02 PM
The stumbling part makes me think of something neurological rather than arthritis.
Does T have a DX of arthritis already?

I'd think an Xray of the spine may be in order. Something pressing on the spine to make him lose control.
Does he have any problems controlling his functions?

If it is arthritis, there is a drug called Metacam but it MUST be carefully dosed!

AmberLee
11-17-2004, 09:09 PM
{{{Debbby}}} -- adding your family to my prayer list.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks again everybody. Terry just had popcorn and Tubby loves to have popcorn with his daddy. But he didn't even hardly lift his head. :( I took a piece over to him and he didn't want anything to do with it. :(

Rose - The vet never did an x-ray, but felt his spine and prescribed Cosequin and baby aspirin for the arthritis. He's usually ok, not as fast and spry as he used to be, but not stumbly and listless like tonight. So far all functions are working ok, and I will continue to closely monitor them. The second I think it's too long in between trips to the litter box, he's off to the vet - even if it's 2:00 in the morning!

Thanks Jods and QSA for the advice on the heating pad. I'll get it going for him and hope it's just the weather.

And thanks again for all the prayers, positive thoughts and hugs. They are needed and appreciated. :)

And yes, QSA, right on those little black lips! :)

Oh, and I'm off to bed now, so I'll let you all know tomorrow morning how he's doing.

dukedogsmom
11-17-2004, 09:34 PM
I so hope he's feeling better tomorrow. I would take him to the vet asap to see what's wrong. He's not very old, is he? I hope it's something simple and can get him back to his old self.

jazzcat
11-17-2004, 09:38 PM
((HUGS)) to both you and Tubby!!! Prayers on the way that Tubby is just having one of those off days (like we all do now and then) and that he'll be eyeing Peanut's treats in the morning and sharing daddy's popcorn tomorrow night.

kimlovescats
11-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Debbie, I do agree that cold and damp weather are horrible for rheumatoid arthritis!!! My knees ache horribly during the wet winters!!! I know how very concerned you are for your Tubby , and I am sending prayers for you and him that he will get feeling better SOON!

Love,
Kim

RedHedd
11-17-2004, 09:45 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}} S to you and Tubby. Poor baby! I hope the heat helps relieve the pain. I know my old knees sure to let me know when it's about to rain! OW! it hurts. This getting old stuff ain't for sissies. I hope Tubby has an easier time of it. Gentle scritches and sweet prayers that he's feeling better soon.

Logan
11-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Our Murphy is the only one that has problems, Debbie, and she is quite uncomfortable right now. As a matter of fact, we are actually giving her half of a Loritab, twice per day, to try and help with her pain. But it is so hard to watch her struggle to get up and down. It makes me very sad. :(

Tubby, and you, will be in our prayers tonight. I hope he will be feeling better tomorrow.

Logan

Uniqueviking
11-17-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry he's having a bad day :( I hope, you feel better soon, Tubby!

rg_girlca
11-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Poor Tubby and poor you Debbie having to see your precious one uncomfortable like that.

I hope and pray that tomorrow will be a brighter day for both you and Tubby.

Edwina's Secretary
11-17-2004, 11:06 PM
oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....now I will be so worried about Tubby. I hate the time difference!

shais_mom
11-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Oh Debbie - don't you worry about posting ups or downs or anything about Tubby, you post whatever you're heart tells you!
I will keep the little guy in my prayers!
And Mommy and Daddy also!

kt_luvs_kitties
11-18-2004, 12:52 AM
Poor Tubby, Poor you:( I am agreeing with everyone else, I think he is just achy, and that a heating pad will help. Please give him gentle kisses from me, and I am and will be sending prayers and good thoughts your way. FEEL BETTER TUBBY!!!!*HUGS*

popcornbird
11-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Oh Debbie. :( {{{hugs}}} I'm so sorry to hear Tubby's having a rough time. Hopefully he will feel better soon. I'll be keeping him in my prayers. Poor little boy. Get well soon Tub Tub!

gini
11-18-2004, 01:06 AM
Oh Debbie, I just saw this thread.

How you have my prayers that Tubby will be better in the morning after his meds and the heating pad.

It is so difficult to watch our babies when they are not feeling well.

I will check on this thread in the morning. I hope you get a good nights sleep.

Cinder & Smoke
11-18-2004, 01:33 AM
Hellow, God?

Sorrie to ring You so late...

Ohh - glad to know we can call 24/7!

It'z about Tubby ~ Peanut'z Big Brudder ...

He'z feelin a lil poorlie tuday - kinda sluggish an
just a bit wooblie on his pawz :(

His Mom - Miz Debbie
(she's da Kat Mom dat vizits us Dawgz at Findlay ebery Spring)
- iz purdy konserned about him an so iz his Dad!
You mita gotz a *call* frum dem urlier.

Kuld You look in on him tunite?
He'd like a hed bumpie frum You, God.
An maybe an ear skritchie, too.

Pleeze Help da Tubster to feel bettur, God.

THANKZ fur Your Help.

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Barbara
11-18-2004, 02:53 AM
Adding my best thoughts for my friend Tubby. It makes me so sad to hear he's not well.

I wonder about the baby aspirin. I've always heard that aspirin should not be taken by cats in any form but if the vet prescribed it he sure knows better.

Please keep us updated.

Killearn Kitties
11-18-2004, 04:16 AM
:( I'm sorry to hear that Tubby had such a rough day. I'm adding my hopes that today will be better for him. Gentle scritchies to sweet Tubby. I hope you all got a good night's sleep.

catcrazylady
11-18-2004, 06:05 AM
Oh Debbie it hurts my heart to hear that Tubby isn't feeling well. I hope you can post better news this morning. Bless his little heart. It's so hard to see them like that especially when you have done all you can do to help.
Give Tubby sweet and gentle kisses from me and ask Terry to pass on all the great big {{{{{HUGS}}}}} that we are sending you.
Prayers on the way.

catlover4ever
11-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Debbie, I'm sorry I don't have any advice but please know that my heart aches for you and Tubby. {{{HUGS}}} and prayers on the way.

mina'smomma
11-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Oh Debbie. Give Tubby a kiss for me and a head bump from Mina.

My mom's doxy has arthritis and the vet is having her taking a half a tablet of Pretnazone to ease the pain. It seems to work alright.

Please keep us updated on how Tubby is doing.:(

gini
11-18-2004, 07:49 AM
Debbie, I was just checking in this morning to see if there was any uppydate.

trayi52
11-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Ahhh Debbie, I am sorry Tubby is having such a bad day. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. I know it's hard to watch the one you love in so much pain and not feeling so well. I will be keep you and Tubby in my prayers and sending good thoughts to you both.

Willie:(

catmandu
11-18-2004, 08:40 AM
I would get him,to the Vets,as it could be a heart problem,and the blood,is not getting,to his legs.Are his back paws cold.If I had noticed that with BJ,and gotten him,in,he might still be with us.

K & L
11-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Debbie
I'm just now reading this and I hope Tubby is OK. You all are in my thoughts and prayers today, and hope we here a better report on Tubby this morning.

Logan
11-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Debbie? How was Tubby this morning? I hope he is better. :)

sirrahbed
11-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Debbie? Lots of us are waiting for an update on Tubby. Between YOU and Tubby, I am getting grey hair:p

Cinder & Smoke
11-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi, Tubby ~

Boots, da Kat, here...

Sendin Feel Better Wishez yur way, Buddie!!

Hope you get better wiffOUT a trip to da White Coat...
but go if ya must. ;)

We'll all be watchin da skreen fur an UppyDate.

Wiff Best Wishez,

/s/ Bootsy

cruisetime
11-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Tubby - hope you are feeling much better!! I missed this post before and am just getting in and wishing you good health and keeping you and Debbie in my prayers.. Debbie

Randi
11-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Oh Debbie, it breaks my heart to hear Tubby is having a bad time. :( I hope the heating pad will give him some comfort and the painkillers work!

Try to encourage him to drink, and give him lots of kisses and gentle headbumpies from us.

Get better dear Tubby!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-18-2004, 10:04 AM
'Morning everybody. Just reading all your good thoughts and prayers makes me feel better. :)

First of all - no change.

And for those who don't know Tubby's history, he is 18 1/2 years old, in the early stages of kidney failure and has arthritis.

Now the details. After I signed off here last night I went down to start getting ready for bed. I was just coming out of the bathroom to head upstairs and I see Terry coming down the step - carrying Tubby! Terry NEVER carries Tubby and rarely even picks him up(Tubby used to be a lot more aggressive in his younger years and Terry remembers the bites). I thought that was so sweet. I guess while Tubby had gotten up and wobbled over by Terry who was on his computer - snuggling with Peanut. Tubby was so jealous that he got up and headed over. :rolleyes:

Anyway, so I picked him up and carried him downstairs to see if he wanted to use the litterbox before bed, and sure enough he had a good pee - whew, that's still working! Then I took him over by the food and he didn't want any of that, but took a good long drink - whew, still drinking! Then we both headed to bed where he crawled up on me and we had a good purr session. He wanted to bump, but he has to stand to bump and he kept sitting down. :( But we had a good snuggle session and then he laid down beside me and I fell asleep with him purring away. :) He was in bed most of the night, but he usually gets up around 4:30 - 5:00 am and he must have done that because when I woke up he was on his favorite purr pad again.

DIDN'T come for treats so I carried him in. I gave him Science Diet Savory Cuts which has cubes of food in a gravy. He ate the gravy but didn't want anything to do with the cubes, so Peanut finished them off. Then he went and took another big drink and headed back to the purr pad. He was sleeping as I was leaving, but I set a treat down by his nose to see if he'd wake up like normal, and he did, and he even ate the treat. Also there was more kibble gone from their dish in the basement and the litter box had been used more, and he didn't have to use it when I carried him down there this morning, so he is still getting around without me, and is still eating and drinking. Maybe not eating as much, but still eating which is good.

Terry is on the road today so I didn't want to leave the heating pad on all day unattended, so Tubby will have to wait until I get home again tonight for that. It's still damp and icky here, and it's supposed to be until Sunday sometime, so all I can do is try and make him as comfortable as I can until the weather changes. :( I will call the vet to see what they suggest, but Thursday is their day out of the office or something like that, so I don't know if I'll be able to get in touch with them. If I do I'll let you know what they say.

Oh, and not to make this long post any longer, but we are planning on heading to Denver for Thanksgiving to see Terry's parents. We will be leaving next Tuesday and won't be back until late late Saturday night. We'll be staying with his sister who has 2 cats of her own. So before we fell asleep last night Terry says "Maybe we should not go to Denver." I said "No, we have to go. If it gets that bad we'll just take Tubby with us!" And he says "Maybe I'll just fire up the motorhome and we'll take that!" I said "Now you're talking!" :) If he doesn't get any better before we leave, I sure hate to leave him, but we have to go because Terry's dad is in the advanced stages of Alzheimers and he might not be around much longer. So we'll see what happens.....

Thanks again so much for all the hugs, prayers and positive thoughts - and thanks for getting the Prayer Pups on it Phred. :) They really do help to lift my spirits. :)

jazzzytina
11-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Prayers for you and for Tubby...Get well soon, Tubby! Meowmie and Daddie need you! :)

K & L
11-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the update Debbie. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Tubby!

slick
11-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry things have not improved and I can imagine how awful this must be for you and Terry. I think taking the motorhome trip would be good. I didn't know about Terry's Dad, or if you told me in an email, I've forgotten. I'm so sorry. This trip is necessary and yes, take the furbabies with you.

It's good that Tubby's output is OK and that he's drinking water. Specks is somewhat the same but she's still got her good appetite. She just chooses to sleep ALL the time.

More prayers and hugs and postive thoughts coming your way. You know where to reach me.

luv
slick
xo

ramanth
11-18-2004, 10:23 AM
*HUGS* to you and Tubby. I hope his arthiritis lets up soon. Poor guy. :(

NoahsMommy
11-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Debbie,

I'm so sorry Tubby isn't feeling well. You sure are an excellent kitty meowie to be so attentive. :) Tubby and Ms. Peanut are so lucky.

I'm glad he ate a treat, used the sand box and is drinking. Those are good things.

When I worked at the vet, they sometimes prescribed anti-inflammatories for arthritic cats. I know in dogs they use Deramaxx or Rimadyl. I think the Cosequin is a natural medication, with ingredients like condriton/glucosamine. Maybe you can ask your vet for something stronger for when its cold like this. I know my vet uses Pred because cats tolerate it well.

The heating pad is a good idea. We have this thing for Livvy when it gets cold (she has arthritis too):
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20031229195136/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/products/large/p_9599_23066P.jpg
You just pop it in the microwave for 5 minutes and it stays really warm for 12 hours. Maybe that could help Tubby? (We got it at PetSmart, but they sell it online at Drs. Foster-Smith.

Give my love to sweet Tubby. :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-18-2004, 10:33 AM
:)

GOOD to hear Tubby is still navigating around the house!

Hey TUBBY ~

Ya hear THIS >>>

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

... Terry says
"Maybe I'll just fire up the motorhome and we'll take that!"

Tubby ~

Play yur kards jest rite an it's a
ROAD TRIP inna MotorHowze :D
stedda da Kat Sitter!!

We'd suggest:
1) Moderate food intake;
2) Gud pursonal hi-gene = USE da "box";
3) Normal amount of Kat 'Tude - don't *mope* too much;
4) an jest da rite amount of *wobble* inna Paw-Steps ~
. . Keep em *wurried* enuff dey won't wanna leave ya!

Gonna be a fine line tween Turkey Day wiffa Sitter :( ,
at da :eek: White Coat's Place,
an On da Road Agin :) ...

Start praktissin yur *Wobblin*!!

;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Start praktissin yur *Wobblin*!![/i]

Thanks Phred, I needed the laugh! :D Never thought that maybe this is what he's trying to pull. ;)

Kelly, thanks SO much for that hot pad thing. I was just coming back here to ask if anyone had any ideas for something like that and where to get them. I'll head to PetSmart on my lunch hour today!

Oh oh, better buy two so Peanut doesn't get any brilliant ideas to kick her big brudder out of the nice warm comfy spot. :D

Tonya
11-18-2004, 11:09 AM
I hope Tubby feels better soon. :(

Cataholic
11-18-2004, 11:35 AM
So sorry to hear one of my favorite seniors is having a bad time of things. Warm hugs to Tubby, and the rest of you guys.

aguu
11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Poor poor Tubster. He is in my prayers.

AmberLee
11-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
... I'll head to PetSmart on my lunch hour today!...

If it's not too late, I got two of those round fleece covers and sewed them together like a pillowcase. I slip the heating element into the microwave, then slip it into the fleece case. (My Livvy, for reasons I can't understand is afraid of the round heating element by itself, but LOVES it in the case. Perhaps she was chased by a mean frisbee as a kitten????) Anyway, hope your two get tons of good from their new heat pad!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-18-2004, 01:06 PM
It's SO hard to sit here at work. I haven't gotten a thing done yet today. :rolleyes: Even though I'm sure Tubby is still fast asleep in the same spot I left him, at least if I was home I would be there to help him if he decided to get up and go potty or something. :(

I went during my lunch hour and bought two of these
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20031229195136/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/products/large/p_9599_23066P.jpg
which were suggeted by Kelly. I can't wait to get home and pop one in the microwave for him. :) Such a rip off though. Online at PetSmart they were $19.99, but because I wanted them right NOW I paid $25.63 or something like that, + the Chicago 8.75% sales tax. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem spending the money on Tubby, it's just knowing that I'm getting ripped off in the store is a little hard to take. :rolleyes:

Anyway, guess I'll get back to work and TRY and get something done. Haven't been able to get ahold of the Vet yet either, so no news there....

catnapper
11-18-2004, 01:07 PM
I just saw this thriead for the first time! {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to sweet Tubby (even though all he wants is his purr pad) I hope its just the humid weather making his legs sore and stiff. Please keep us updated.

smokey the elder
11-18-2004, 01:24 PM
{{{Hugz}}} to you and Tubby. I hope the kitty feels better soon.

lynnestankard
11-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Debbie - so sorry The Tubster is feeling a little below par. Sending {{{Hugs}}}} across the miles to such a sweetie-pie boyxxxxx

Hey Tubby - Bootz is on line and chatting atcha!!!

I know how bad I feel with my arthritis when the weather's dodgy. I hope it is just this thats making him feel poorly - are you thinking of taking him to the vet if he doesn't improve?

Lynne

Catsnclay
11-18-2004, 01:34 PM
As one who has arthritis and a cat who does, I can tell you right now I know exactly when the weather is going to change! :rolleyes:

On those days that I'm feeling bad, I also give Fluffy an extra pill to help him. Luckily we live in a nice climate, but we still have some cold and sometimes rainy days.

Check with your vet on the various medications. Also Fluffy & I don't like to be touched when we hurt!! Sorry, don't take it personal, but everything hurts us!! :eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Catsnclay
Check with your vet on the various medications. Also Fluffy & I don't like to be touched when we hurt!! Sorry, don't take it personal, but everything hurts us!! :eek:

The vets are "on lunch" until 2:30 pm :rolleyes: so I haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks for letting me know about not liking to be touched! I was wondering about that and was wondering if I was actually hurting Tubby more by picking him up. He didn't complain, but he never does - or very rarely anyway. :rolleyes: ;) I'll remember that and will still keep you all updated once I hear from the vet. (First of all their phone is busy all morning then they're out to lunch :rolleyes: )

Vermontcat
11-18-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until now.
I'm sending hugs to you and Tubby too.
I hope he feels better soon.
Samantha has been a bit uncomfortable lately too but her problem is her itchy head.
I really think its an allergy to something in the laundry room and not stress.
Anyway she came to sit by me and let me know that I had to check up on how Tubby was feeling.
She has been very vocal lately.;)
I know it's no fun when our babies aren't feeling well.
We worry about every little thing.
Extra hugs and scritchies to Tubby!:)

ChrisH
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Poor Tubbs. :( Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

{{{hugs}}
Chris

cubby31682
11-18-2004, 04:01 PM
is there anything you do when it flares up bad?
I use a heating pad, I put it on low to medium heat setting. Along with an asprin.

iloverat
11-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Debbie,

You may or may not remember me from some time back. Probably haven't posted in about a year but I have continued to check in on PT from time to time. I am terribly sorry to hear that Tubby is under the weather. He is such a beautiful boy and so loved. :) Hopefully, you will be able to check in with your vet really soon and find something that will help Mr. T feel better. You are in my prayers and thoughts....Will be looking for updates along with the rest of the wonderful PTers. Am sending a cyperhug for you and a careful bump for Tubby. (((hug))) Give Peanut a bumpie for me, too 'cause she might not understand if she gets left out.

Wishing the best for you and your family - Bobbi

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks again everybody. Just a quick uppydate. Tubby is resting comfortably on his new heat thingys. They're really kind of weird because of their shape, but since I got two of them I put them side by side and they are then long enough for him, but not w i d e enough. ;) I think he really likes them because the only way he's moved since I put them down for him is to change positions.

He does seem a bit perkier tonight - actually got up to greet me when I got home and followed me into the kitchen. Didn't eat the treats I gave him, but neither did Peanut so maybe it's the treats. :confused: :rolleyes:

So sweet, Terry even started the fireplace for him. :)

Oh, and the vet did call. He called home and Terry talked to him. He basically said there's not much to do except the aspirin, heat and he suggested a massage. I guess I question that since Catsnclay said she doesn't like to be touched when hers is acting up, but I know how good massages feel, so.....not sure. I don't even know how to give a kitty massage, so I'll see about that one. ;)

So, I just wanted to let you all know that he's a teensy bit perkier tonight, but is resting comfortably.

Thanks again to everyone! :)

gini
11-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Aww, Debbie, sounds like good news all around.

Now go enjoy the fireplace yourself and relax!

Cinder & Smoke
11-18-2004, 08:01 PM
:)

"teensy bit perkier" is GOOD!!

Boots, da Kat sez:

Keep *feelin better*, Tubby!!

;)

Felicia's Mom
11-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Sorry Tubby was feeling bad. I am glad he is feeling better.

kimlovescats
11-18-2004, 08:49 PM
That's so great to hear, Debbie. Our Tubster deserves a bit of pampering by the fire!!!;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by gini
Now go enjoy the fireplace yourself and relax!

Thanks Gini, but I can't do that quite yet. I have to do my Pet Talk duty and post pics for everybody. :D

The towel underneath the purr pad has the heat thingys on it - just offer a bit more padding for him.

Here he says "Hmmm....this feels different than before....warmer somehow...."
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/pe5cba78a7cb648ea3751f5118255f6a6/f636644e.jpg

And here he says "Aaaaahhhhhh....that sure does feel good on these old bones."
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/pc1e8876e483aa2c86dd78e1c5ed1e605/f636645d.jpg

And this was what made him get up off the couch last night. He is such a jealous boy. :rolleyes: And this goes along with Sirrabed's sickeningly sweet daddy's girl posts. :rolleyes: ;) :D She is just SO snuggled in.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p8d694946f29bf018c147c025b8830858/f6366452.jpg

Ok, NOW I'll go relax, and hope this weather breaks soon.:(

kimlovescats
11-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Oh Tubby you just look so toasty! Enjoy, sweet boy!!! Hey Mom ... take advantage of his stillness, and GET MORE PICS!!!:D

trayi52
11-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Awww, Tubby looks so snuggly and warm, and Peanut looks like she is enjoying her daddy a lot!

Good to hear Tubby is feeling some better, hopefully he will start feeling his old self soon.

Willie:)

slick
11-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Debbie, it's 9:35pm my time and I raced home to see if there was an update. I'm so glad that Tubby is doing a bit better. He looks so comfy on that pad. I sure hope the warmth helps a bit.

As for Peanut in Daddy's arms....well what can I say.....I know the feeling because I was Daddy's little princess too. :)

After reading this thread I'm taking the time to pay closer attention to Speckles, for one day I will be in your shoes. She's only a year younger than Tubby. Just now, I reached down and picked her up and give her a hug and a kiss. In her old age, she doesn't mind that so much now. A few years ago, she wouldn't have tolerated it.

As usual, more hugs to you and smoochies to the babies.

luv
slick
xo

catfamily
11-19-2004, 02:14 AM
I'm sorry I just started reading about poor Tubby.I havn't been on the computer to much because of back pain.Well,
My BooBoo is 16 years old and looks just like your Tubby all black.But my BooBoo has terrible Arthritis in his legs and we use the "Joint Max".It helps bigtime.My KiKi used it before he passed away from Cancer.But he had arthritis too.(BooBoo's brother)And KiKi responded so well to it he was jumping up on the cat shelves for the windows without our help.And BooBoo runs a bit around the house now.He still needs stools everywhere though.Just like KiKi did.We bought them for the beds and anything else they like to jump on.But Joint Max is great.
The only problem with these pills is that they are big.So they are chewable so you can crush it up in their wet food OR what we do is crush it up and add very warm water then when it's all pasty put it in a shringe and do it that way.Apply in their mouth.It doesn't taste bad.
There is a website www.jointmax.com if interested.Otherwise I would just do what your doing because he seems better with the heat and the helping arms carrying to the box now and then.My hubby carries BooBoo downstairs a lot and up too.Poor little guys.They really are like humans in some ways.Just can't take all the meds we take though.Good Luck and Prayers on the way for Tubby.

K & L
11-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Whewwwwwwwwww...glad to hear he's doing better!

mina'smomma
11-19-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm glad to hear Tubby is doing a little better. We'll keep him our prayers though for him to feel even better.

Barbara
11-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Tubby, you sure look happy and relaxed on your warm place.

And Carla- that Jointmax stuff sounds good. maybe I should try it myself ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Friday AM uppydate. No change, drinking but not eating very well. Peeing ok (especially when I bring him down to the litterbox) but not pooping, which makes sense because he's not eating.

Chicken and rice baby food?

Sorry so brief, boss is here and on my case and making this the day from hell already so I gotta go.

Thanks for all thoughts, prayers, hugs, no pain mantras....whatever you have to offer...what is that stuff that mommacat does...reiki(?)...anything....

Oops, forgot to add I've got an appointment with him tomorrow at an all cat clinic. Just want a second opinion to make sure it's not his kidneys.

slick
11-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Debbie: more hugs and prayers on the way.

slick
xoxo

wolflady
11-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Gosh! Poor Tubby! It's always hard for us pet parents when our babies are hurting. I'm glad that you got him the heating things. Those always are good for senior pets. Prayers are on the way for Tubby. For arthritis, have your tried Rimadyl? It's the heavy duty arthritis pill...

**hugs**
Karen

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
For arthritis, have your tried Rimadyl? It's the heavy duty arthritis pill...

I will ask about that tomorrow, but I think the reason the current vet is shying away from that is because it's hard on the kidneys, and Tubby's kidneys are already in trouble. :( I do feel better knowing he has an appointment tomorrow, but his not eating has me worried....:(

momoffuzzyfaces
11-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Prayers and hugs on the way for sweet Tubby! and you too!

(((Tubby & Debbie)))

I'm hoping the cat doctor will be able to make him feel better real fast!

Catsnclay
11-19-2004, 01:15 PM
I just checked out that Jointmax and it is very similar to the Cosequin that Fluffy is taking. The really nice thing is it is on sale at Petmeds.com.....like 1/2 price! :eek: Even though I just bought a bottle for Fluff, I think I will be checking out that site and stocking up! It is a bargin :D

Fluffy too has never complained when I picked him up, but then again this cat has never complained!! Years ago my nephew carried him upside down throughout the house without any complaints. Of course at the time Fluffy outweighed my nephew......:rolleyes: :eek:

When I personally hurt, everything in my body hurts, so I'm pretty sure he feels the same way. Keeping us warm & not moving really helps until it passes.

Hope Tubby is feeling better.

Bunny

NoahsMommy
11-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Our poor Tubby! :(

I'll be praying for some solution to his pain. Poor thing. :(

Sending positive vibes, prayers and gentle kisses your way.

kimlovescats
11-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Prayers coming for our Tubby!!!;)

ChrisH
11-19-2004, 03:24 PM
More prayers and good thoughts on the way for Tubby.

{{hugs}}

Chris

AmberLee
11-19-2004, 07:48 PM
~~~ healthy vibes for Sir Tubby! ~~~

Purrs and headbumpies from Cassy and Livvy, too!

catcrazylady
11-20-2004, 07:14 AM
Prayers are still coming for sweet Tubby. I really hope he is feeling better today. I can't stop thinking about him and all the sweet things you do for him Debbie. He is a very lucky little guy to have you.
How are things today?