PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

dukedogsmom
11-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Doogie is used to jumping on everything. We don't want him on tables, dressers, etc. I've got a lot of breakable stuff. So, most of the time I catch him before he does it but I can't watch him all the time. When I do catch him, I tell him no in a stern voice and put him down. He's not catching on, though. Do I need to get a spray bottle for water? Last night, my mom found him sleeping on the dining room table. He jumped up on the same thing twice tonight so I put him in the kennel that I used to transport him. He likes it, I think. Sleeps peacefully. I've got to find a solution to this. He's got two catnip toys, litterbox and food/water in the kennel. I just know we've got to get him used to not jumping on everything. Oh, I just bought him a fancy scratching post and perch thing today, too. Sprayed it with catnip and watched him play and purr.

manda_moo87
11-17-2004, 06:45 PM
We had the same problem with Squeekers when we first got her. She was used to being on tables, counters, furniture etc. and we didn't want her on any of these. So we used a spray bottle and after a week or two she caught on and now VERY rarely is a naughty girl. ;)

christa
11-17-2004, 07:46 PM
I think it just takes time . . . a long time! LOL

Keep up the enforcement . . . squirt bottle is a good thing! . . . and maybe, if you have anything valuable, put it up higher where he won't knock it off.

*Hopefully* he'll catch on sooner rather than later.

It took us a few months to teach Josie not to jump on the counters . . . I'm still pretty sure that she jumps up there when we're not home :rolleyes: but I say, as long as I don't see it, it's not happening! LOL Plus, she hasn't broken anything YET.

;)

jenluckenbach
11-17-2004, 08:16 PM
That's a toughie. cats pretty much do as they please (even IF you think they are "trained").

Consistant correcting will be your best bet, but I make no promises. :rolleyes:

slick
11-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Years ago when I had kittens I used the spray bottle all the time and it worked like a charm. As always, consistency is the key. Good luck and post as many pictures as you want. :)

Kfamr
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
I was also going to suggest the spray bottle.
Either that or an old coffee can with coins in it!
Although, cats really don't seem to care about that kinda stuff...or for anythin for that matter! :p

Don Juan's mom
11-18-2004, 03:15 AM
I stopped Don Juan from knocking things off the dresser by attaching them with "Quake Wax." Quake Wax was invented by a curator at San Simeon (v. close to the San Andreas Fault :eek: ). I bought my Quake Wax at the museum store at the San Jose Museum of Art.

Stuff's good for protecting your breakables from earthquakes, too. :D

Liz

Killearn Kitties
11-18-2004, 04:20 AM
Quake Wax? :D :D I love it! What a brilliant idea.

Just keep doing what you're doing, I think. Hopefully he will get the idea.

catcrazylady
11-18-2004, 05:56 AM
All I can say is good luck!;) They pretty much do as they please but I think Doogie would understand that you don't want him on certain things and will eventually not do it when you are there but when your gone.....;) :D

boscibo
11-18-2004, 06:01 AM
I know lots of people swear by spray bottles, but if you don't like getting everything all wet, use a can of compressed air. I have found it has the same effect - cats don't like the hissy sound it makes.

My cats are good about not jumping up on counters or where my breakables are, but they do get up on (and are allowed) on tables.

catmandu
11-18-2004, 08:50 AM
That is how,i got JJJ3,as he was always knocking,my brothers things,unto the floor,and the sad fact,is that some Cats,are climbers,you have to keep,the fragile things,elsewhere.

cruisetime
11-18-2004, 09:45 AM
The squirt gun is the ONLY thing so far that works to get Meka away from what she is doing wrong. I made the mistake of not using it after a week and got lazy and just picked her up and put her off of or away from the things she was not suppose to be doing. Then I got real lazy and just grabbed a toy and she would jump right down from the counter to play. BUT this got her thinking that to be BAD and do things that she is not suppose to will get her held or played with so now she is really BAD and we are back to the squirt gun. It has been six weeks and hubby is about to set her outside and let her go (I would have to return her to the animal control and they would kill her) so please don't stop using the squirt gun once you start. By the way now she looks at me to see if I will really squirt it - she keeps doing whatever it is until I really shoot her and one time it didn't shoot just made noise and she kept on doing what she was doing so at least my Meka doesn't care about sound (I have yelled enough and it makes no difference) she will only react to me squirting her! HELP HELP HELP!!!! :):) Debbie

ramanth
11-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by boscibo
I know lots of people swear by spray bottles, but if you don't like getting everything all wet, use a can of compressed air. I have found it has the same effect - cats don't like the hissy sound it makes.
I was going to suggest commpressed air too. :)