PDA

View Full Version : Boiling bones

wolfsoul
11-17-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm just curious -- I know that the chances of a raw bones splintering aren't great compared to cooked bones --- but when they say "cooked" I always assume "baked." What about boiling? Does boiling make the bone prone to splintering?

I'm just wondering because I can't be around salmonella bacteria because of my autoimmune disease so a bone would need to be steralized somehow. We have lots of nylon bones, I just like variety and RAW people always talk about how much bones have benefited their dogs. :)

Thanks in advance

Glacier
11-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Boiling does make them more prone to splintering, plus it boils out most of the marrow so the dogs miss out on some of the best part of a bone.

Could you feed the smoked bones they sell in pet stores? I used to buy those and never had any trouble with them.

luckies4me
11-18-2004, 02:21 AM
Is it possible to give raw bones but wear gloves to protect yourself?

wolfsoul
11-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Is it possible to give raw bones but wear gloves to protect yourself?
Well it's just that Timber is a really big licker. I'm afraid that she will lick me and transer the bacteria on to me.

Could you feed the smoked bones they sell in pet stores? I used to buy those and never had any trouble with them.
I'm paranoid with those bones lol. Leather always had problems with bones, raw or smoked, but mostly the smoked ones.