PDA

View Full Version : Tiny got sick from her first annual visit to vet!

amoore
11-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Saterday morning,Tiny had her big vet trip, exam , got shots and test , the work out, but after I got her home she layed down and did not get up. I got her up at 10:00 pm , to take her out and she could not walk with out falling down. She was so week it scared me. The next morning she was the same still could not stand up. She would not eat or drink. Monday she was the same , so she was taken back to the vet. He said it was one of the shots giving her symptoms of distemper and he had me to buy some childrens tylenol. She was some better monday night, but still very week and ate only a small bit of a boiled egg. and would not drink water unless I would dip my finger in a bowl and let her lick my finger.
She is usually very active. she is not. She is still not eating or drinking as she was before the vet trip. She can stand up with out falling. and walk around. She plays very little . I was told by the vet this may last a week.

I have always had dogs and kept their shots up, but this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this! I really thought my little 3.80 pound Tiny sweetness was not going to live.

I wonder if anyone else's chi had this problem?
_________________:(

micki76
11-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Chester's had a reaction twice. :(

I hop Tiny feels better soon. We don't do the shots every year anymore.

RobiLee
11-16-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I haven't experienced anything like this so I don't have any advice. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking Tiny and hoping she is back to her playful little self real soon.

Tiny is adorable. I always thinks she looks like such a perfect little chi. I would love to see more pics of her when she is feeling better.

Feel better soon, Tiny.

Robin :)

amoore
11-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Thank you, Micki and Robi lee. I was so frightened i was afraid to look in her little box Sunday and monday morning. I was afraid she would be dead.
I will be so glad when she gets back to being that hyper little dog she was. It seems lonely in the house with out her always being busy carrying her toys around and running everywhere. :( It is awful, I can even find my socks laying right where i took them off! I usually have to look in her little bed where she hides her treasures she finds. I hope my little sweetie don't stay like this.

:(

trayi52
11-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Ann, I didn't know you was going through this! I have never had this happen before. Maybe what Micki was talking about not doing it every year would be a good idea with Tiny as well.

I have had some that had reactions to shots, but it would only last an hour or so and then be over with. But I have never heard of that happening at all!

Keep us posted on how she is doing. We are really concerned about her.

Willie

Jamieejo85
11-16-2004, 11:32 PM
My chihuahua Bella did that after her first set of shots. She stopped eating and playing after the shots. And I am not trying to scare you, but all the things you are saying in your first post, sounds EXACTLY what I went through with Bella. I took her to a couple vets and they told me she was hypoglacemic (spelling??:rolleyes: ) and her blood sugar level was at 25 which is EXTREMELY low for a dog, they can go into comas when its under 90. Anyway, she was probably hypoglacemic because she quit eating. So...this lasted about 4 days and she didn't get any better and she passed away. I don't mean to scare you or anything, but it sounds like the same thing and they told me I couldn't do anything else for her:( :(

Good luck, you will be in my prayers and I am hoping that your chi will feel better!!! You can talk to me anytime you need to
Jamie

trayi52
11-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Anne, any news on how Tiny is feeling this morning?

Willie

Tonya
11-17-2004, 09:54 AM
I had that problem with my pomeranian, Teddy everytime he had shots. And it happened to Sarah on her final round. They came out of it in a day or two but I felt bad for them.

micki76
11-17-2004, 10:13 AM
How's little Tiny today?

Keep getting water into her, Ann. I went to the vet and got a syringe, removed the needled, and forced water into Chester's mouth. I was so scared he'd dehydrate. :(

lidlelou
11-17-2004, 12:00 PM
I hope Tiny is doing okay. She is in my prayers. It is awful to sit and watch them when you feel helpless to do anything for them. Just hold her and love her and maybe that comfort will help.

trayi52
11-17-2004, 12:07 PM
I just called her house and didn't get an answer, I hope everything is okay.

Anne we need and update!

Willie

LorraineO
11-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Heres to hoping Tiny feels better ASAP!!!

Scooby4
11-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Sounds like Tiny may have a low immune system. Not unusual at Tiny's age. The shots ACTUALLY contain RABIES/Distemper. It is given in a small dose so the immune system can develop antibodies to fight it off. That is what prevents the full blown disease from forming.
It is the same with humans and the flu shot. I always get the flu when I get the shot but it goes away in a day or two. Sounds like Tiny will be okay in a few days.
Puppies under 8 weeks have weak immune systems naturely. This condition should improve as Tiny gets older. Kind of like exposing a child to the chicken pox. Good luck!!!

kimlovescats
11-17-2004, 02:06 PM
My Doxie, had a horrible allergic reaction to her Rabies shot .... both times. My vet finally has said NO MORE SHOTS for Gretta .... period! I think small breeds just have a harder time with them! I hope Tiny is better today!;)

amoore
11-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Tiny got up the same as yesterday walking like she had no energy,not wanting to eat,drink or play. A girl in a chihuahua forum said her vet had her to give her chihuahua children's Benedryl , said her little chi was running around within ten minutes! So i tried a half of one , She was feeling so bad! With in the hour I saw a dramatic change, I was sitting here at the computer and noticed she was eating her food! (I keep near my desk) I knew she was feeling better when she started fussing at JoJo for getting next her greenie .. lol two hours later and she is running and playing as I type this out!

I thank you all for your help, Tiny would give you all kisses if she could! :D

tatsxxx11
11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Oh no:( Poor Tiny!!! I got so frightened reading the thread. I've never heard of that severe a reaction to vacc's before. I hope and pray Tiny is ok:( PLEASE check in when you can. Lots of prayers on the way for you little Tiny.

trayi52
11-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Anne that is so good to hear! I am so glad to hear she is doing so much better!

Thanks for the update!

Willie:)

tatsxxx11
11-17-2004, 02:37 PM
What great news! We must have been posting at the same time, Anne:D What a relief!!! Give Tiny a BIG, gentle hug for me! Woo hoo!!!

lidlelou
11-17-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm so glad to hear that she is feeling better.:D

amoore
11-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Tiny is doing much better! She is running and playing! She has even managed to find a few treasures to hide in her bed she sleeps in! :D

Tiny and I both send thanks for your support through this. Tiny would give you all, her puppy kisses if she could. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/amoore/ATThanku440.gif

lidlelou
11-17-2004, 03:36 PM
I know what it is like to be a worried mommie, now maybe your mind will be eased a little bit.

wolflady
11-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Awwww!!! Sorry to hear about Tiny's rection, but I'm glad that she's feeling better! Did you happen to mention this to your vet? It's fairly typical for small breed dogs (especially chis and min-pin type dogs) to have an allergic reaction to the lepto portion of the DHLPP vaccine. What you need to do, to prevent her having a reaction again, is to tell your vet that she had a reaction and have them mark in your chart NO LEPTO. That way, Tiny will get the DHPP minus the lepto and she should be ok.

**hugs**
Karen

amoore
11-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Thank you so much! That is a good Ideal I will call them and tell them what I did this morning and hope they will not give her that again.
That was rough on Tiny, I would not want to see her go through that again.

Thank you from our hearts!

Corinna
11-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Merlin had a simular problem so NO shots for him I just have to be very careful where I take him. I may have to get a Rabies shot for him next spring as they have found bats with rabies in our town:( The cats will be first as they cruise the neighbor hood. then the big dogs as they are outside most of the day. Merlin doesn' t stay out much so it will be a toss up .

RobiLee
11-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Oh, I'm so glad to hear that Tiny is doing good. What a relief! Please give Tiny a little hug from me.

Robin :)

4 Dog Mother
11-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Poor Tiny! Having just gotten Pippi who is a small dog I was worried about how this would turn out! I am so glad that Tiny has come through it okay. How scary for both of you.