PDA

View Full Version : Spaying advice

drewhexsa
11-16-2004, 07:49 PM
well, it's finally that time. Illyria is 6 months now, and has an appointment to be spayed this Friday. I hope it won't be too late, I really hope she doesn't start her heat before then. Anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation? What do I need to do for her when she comes home the next day? Anything I should be look or watch out for?

-Drew

Here's some new pics of the now giant (to me) baby, although she's still super tiny compared to other cats i've known.

http://img105.exs.cx/img105/8759/Picture405.jpg
http://img112.exs.cx/img112/6513/Picture416.jpg

and an old one for comparison:
http://img112.exs.cx/img112/2805/Picture234.jpg

jazzcat
11-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Sorry I haven't been through it but I will be in January when Rumor is spayed and Rocky is neutered so I'll be interested in what advice people have to give you.

Good luck to Illyria and keep us posted on how it goes.

Craftlady
11-16-2004, 11:08 PM
My experience is with males. The girls came to us already fixed.

RB Butterscotch was first kitty when he was fixed he had run of the apartment where we used to live before getting house, to himself. He slept off the whole ordeal and was good as new the next day. He came home same day as surgery.

Once it came to Skinny we had RB Buterscotch and Thumper, I put Skinny in his own little room with nice cat bed, water and food and litter box, I could look through the door into the room where he was being kept. So watching him was easy.
He came home same day as surgery with nice pain medication shot. Highly recommend. Kitties are so much more comfortable. He slept pretty from early evening to next morning. Only getting up a few times to eat and use litter box.

I would keep her in quiet area with all the essentials. Follow the vets instructions. Like us humans when we dont feel well, we just like to be left alone and sleep. That's the best recovery along with kisses :)

catfancier
11-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Re coming home the next day: Keep her in a small, quiet, warm room confined for the first 24hrs but keep an eye on her. Provide her with plenty of water and a little bit of food but don't worry if she doesn't eat. Keep a really close eye on her stitches - if she pulls or licks at them, get a head collar for her to wear. She should be fine after a couple of days, just try to keep the wound area clean and un-interfered with so the vet or nurse can see the wound 10 days - 2 weeks later and take the stiches out. In my experience, Tiger's purrsonality changed from an outside/wild cat to a very affectionate, charming young lady :)

Also just remember to give her a light meal the night before, and take away water from the time you get up. Kittens have a fast metabolism so she should be allowed to have a small amount of food and water the night before the op.

And definitely follow your vets instructions!

6 months is a good age to get your kitten spayed, so well done on taking that initiative :)
Tell us how she gets on!

catmandu
11-17-2004, 08:54 AM
When Ihad Pouncer spayed,she kept,to herself,the first day,but after that she was fine,and we know,that your Little Girl,will be fine too!!!!