PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a cat that doesn't purr?

DogLover9501
11-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Does anyone have a cat that doesn't purr? :confused:

I was wondering this because I don't think Emma EVER purrs :(, I've never heard her purr, she always seems happy and everything and sometimes I lean my ear against her hoping to hear some purring, but I never do :(

catfamily
11-16-2004, 07:59 PM
It took my Rosco over a year to start purring very soft and my Monty also is so soft and hardly ever purrs.But I think it is just so soft to hear.It may be what they've been thru or just isn't relaxed enough or it could be that's how they were from birth.I wouldn't worry to much.Just make it known to her that she'll always have a happy home and maybe you'll hear her purr slightly if you put your ear close.That's what I have to do with Rosco and Monty.It may just be how they are anyway.

catnapper
11-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Allen never ever purred until we got Pouncer. I don't think he knew how! Even now his purr is very soft, that you have to almost put your ear up to him, or hand on him to feel the vibrations.

DogLover9501
11-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Allen never ever purred until we got Pouncer. I don't think he knew how! Even now his purr is very soft, that you have to almost put your ear up to him, or hand on him to feel the vibrations.

Thats interesting! Maybe Tigger will teach Emma how to purr ;) :p

jazzcat
11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Ripley never purred until we got Jazz so she must have shown him. He was almost 11 years old the first time I heard him purr. It was pretty amazing.:)

Logan
11-16-2004, 09:16 PM
It took Butter over a year to purr too......and I think it was pretty much a year, or more, before he ever even jumped in my lap. I remember that the first time he ever did, I about had a fit, and I was on the computer and posted here at Pet Talk about it! I was so afraid to even move!!! LOL!!! :o

heinz57_79
11-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Sebastian never purrs. He makes other "happy sounds", but i don't know if he even knows how to purr. Joey and the 3 little ones have motorboat motors! hehe

manda_moo87
11-16-2004, 09:37 PM
My girls both purr, and my RB boy Perkins (purred TONS, hence the name "Purr-kins"). At first when we had Misty she didn't purr but she does now... but its a VERY quiet purr, you really have to listen hard to hear it.

carole
11-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Wow that is interesting, I thought all cats purred, my Lexie never stops purring, it seems, she always has her motor running, even if you just barely touch her, Ash is not so vocal all around, but he does purr when going off to sleep quite often.

Randy_K
11-17-2004, 12:13 AM
When I was a child we had a sweet cat who didn't purr. He was separated from his mother too early and never learned. Some years later we adopted a stray female who purred all the time and he learned how to from her. He also was frightened of mice... his mum never got to teach him much of anything! I hate to separate kittens from their mothers too early because there's so much they need to learn to give them a good start on life. What's a few weeks more?

sirrahbed
11-17-2004, 07:11 AM
Eliot does not purr or meow:) I know he CAN meow, but rarely does, just opens his mouth - my silent kitty.

mina'smomma
11-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Mina is a purring machine, but her brother Clyde who lives with my friend doesn't purr. I guess it just depends on the "precious" and their personality.:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-17-2004, 07:32 AM
My Maya has a VERY quiet purr. You cannot hear it, unless you press your ear on her head. She purrs!!!!

catmandu
11-17-2004, 08:35 AM
John Hnacock,doesnt purr,and Rocca,purrs very little,and The Princess yelps,instead of purring,while JJJ3,and Moose,you can,and many Pet Talkers,have heard them,over the phone.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-17-2004, 09:02 AM
I can't remember ever hearing or feeling Oliver or Raisin purr.
The other 5 purr all the time.

RedHedd
11-17-2004, 11:36 AM
At first I thought Mishi didn't purr, but it turns out he does. For a huge cat, he has the softest purr I have ever heard! I have to get my ear right next to his softest-fur-in-the-world to hear it, but he does purr. On the other hand, Mitzi has the loudest purr I have ever heard! It's so funny to hear this loud rumbling coming out of this little round cat. :)

NoahsMommy
11-17-2004, 12:11 PM
All 9 of the cats purr. :) Most have loud purrs, but they do it.

Samantha Puppy
11-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Sushi purrs and Kirin you could hear from a mile away.