PDA

View Full Version : My husband's jury duty is a pitbull case!

Tonya
11-16-2004, 06:18 PM
My husband got picked for jury duty and guess what the case is?! A pitbull attacking a lady. He doesn't know any of the details yet, and I suppose he's not supposed to talk about it anyways. I'm interested to know the details in it. I hope the irresponsible owner gets punished. (Here I am prejudging already. :o )

Jods
11-16-2004, 07:03 PM
oh no... I hope the dog isn't killed...:(

catnapper
11-16-2004, 07:52 PM
I hope its not another case of blaming a dog that shouldn't be blamed. :(

It'll be interesting to hear the whole story afterwards. I'm sure it'll be in the news regardless the outcome.

Tonya
11-17-2004, 08:53 AM
I'd think that the dog has already been euthanized. When I had to put Rosco to sleep, I vaguely remember them telling me that there was like a 30-45 day quarantine period (because of rabies and whatnot) and then they are automatically put down. It's hard for me to remember because that was a horrible day for me, it's all a blur. Mike said the lady's scars are visible and look horrible. She got mauled pretty bad.

He said out of the 40 or so potential jurors that they had questioned, only two had never owned dogs. One of the two was a man from Baghdad, Iraq who was a veterinarian over there. He told them that he used to go out bi-weekly and put poison out for the dogs. They asked him why and he said for population control and because they were mostly aggressive. :( Mike couldn't remember his occupation here in the US, but it was something entirely different that didn't have to do with animals.

He also said that one of the questions was rather or not you liked pit bulls. He said most of the people said they did not like the breed, including a woman that was a dog trainer. Those people were dismissed automatically. I started getting offended at first, but then again, I bet alot of people lie and pretend to be prejudice just to get out of jury duty.

Tonya
11-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Well, the case is over, so now I can talk about it. The pits were not euthanized. They were quarantined for 10 days and then returned back to their idiot owner. The story is to gruesome and upsetting to post, especially since we're all animal lovers. It's sad to hear these type of stories. But in my opinion, at least the main dog should have been put down. It's horrible that they he is still in society in the same irresponsible hands. He had a history of aggression, I don't understand why they didn't put him to sleep. They didn't say why in court because it's a civil case, the victim just wanted compensation for her pain and suffering.

leslie
11-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Did she get ample compensation at least so that the owners might think twice about letting the dog have access to the public? (still not sure what happened,,,)

Tonya
11-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by leslie
Did she get ample compensation at least so that the owners might think twice about letting the dog have access to the public? (still not sure what happened,,,)

She was badly mauled, she spent five days in the hospital and has horrible disfiguring scars all over her body. There wasn't even enough flesh and skin left in several places to sew her up.

She got $75,000. 60% of that is coming from the trailer park owners and 40% from the pit bull owner. She'll never see the 40%, the pit bull owner doesn't have a dime to her name and has never worked.

The reason the trailer park had to pay is because they had served the woman several eviction notices over the years for various incidences with various pitbulls. The woman would send the dog away temporarily until the eviction notice was lifted, and then bring them back. They were able to prove that the management was aware that there were aggressive dogs there and they never followed through on the eviction. They were negligent also.

The owner was a breeder by the way. And every dog she had (all the same blood line) had a history of being aggressive. It was actually the son pit that did the mauling and the father pit chewed on the flesh laying around and licked up the blood. When the police came, the father pit became "food" aggresive.

I think the pit bull owner should be put to sleep.

Tonya
11-23-2004, 09:44 AM
I guess I should give a little background. Basically, the victim came over to deliever bread to the owner. (The court thinks it was really to buy drugs but can't prove it.) She came up to the sliding glass door on the porch of the trailer home. Victim says the owner opened the door. The owner says she got up and unlocked the door and layed back down on the couch...the victim then slid the door open. Either way, she was attacked. The son pit was seperated and put into a spare bedroom. (Which consisted of plywood nailed to the trailer home.) They brought the victim into the bathroom and called 911. The dog broke through the room and got back into the bathroom and attacked her a second time. When police arrived, they had to deal with the pissed off son pit bull attacking the lady and the father pit being food aggressive with the flesh and blood on the porch.

Oh and there was a third lady involved. Lady #3 gave the victim a ride to the house. When the attack happened, she peeled out in her car, and drove away fast as she could. Supposedly, no one knows her name or has ever seen her again.

Tonya
11-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Oh, one more part...just to describe the kind of people these were. I have a name for them, but I don't want to insult anyone. The dog owner had a head injury too because she tripped over one of the three car batteries on her small front porch.

leslie
11-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Well my goodness! What a mess to unfold! batteries lying around, bread deliveries, eviction notices gone dead... Seems to me, Lady #3 peeled out because she was afraid of what the law might say about some old bread! (or an old warrent....etc). Poor woman that got mauled. Well, if she was bringing drugs, you can bet she was doing drugs and boy will she be doing drugs now! As soon as she can anyway. Wonder if she was drug tested in the hospital.. Did you find out where are the dogs and owners? (Egads. wonder where all the dang siblings of son are at... oh well, they will do their own damage in time perhaps, hopefully not.)

Jods
11-24-2004, 08:10 AM
wow what a messed up story.... Hmmm I think maybe they should have been put to sleep in case they do it agian. Poor dogs......

pitc9
11-24-2004, 10:08 AM
OMG :eek:

You are SO right Tonya... the owner needs to be put to sleep!

What is it going to take before those dogs are put down.... killing someone?!?!?!