PDA

View Full Version : I think Emma is in heat :(

DogLover9501
11-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Last night my mom said Emma was in heat, she said that she seen some blood on her "down there".

I feel like we should have got her spayed already :(

I don't know much about this stuff but I don't know how she feels, I know how PEOPLE feel...I hope she doesn't feel that way!!

I don't know how people have cats and never get them spayed and they have to keep going through this, I'm here acting like she's really sick LOL

I guess I just wanted to ask more about this and how she feels, she meows really loud sometimes at night and that only started recently, is that because of this?

Thanks

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
she meows really loud sometimes at night and that only started recently, is that because of this?

Thanks

Yes. If she's not spayed she will start with the caterwauling - which to me is one of the best reasons in the world to get females spayed. I don't know how breeders handle the racket of unspayed females. ;)

You might want to make an appointment for her ASAP, although...not sure about this....but I think the vet will wait until she's no longer in heat. Not sure...but I think it costs more or something if you have them do it while she's in heat.

gini
11-16-2004, 11:20 AM
Annie and Emma seemed as though they were going into heat.

I called the Vet on a Thursday and they couldn't take them until Monday..............

By that time they were in full blown heat - and it cost more to have them spayed.

They make a huge amount of racket when they are in heat.

I hope you will have her spayed as soon as you can.

jazzcat
11-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Poor Emma. I think most vets will spay them while they are in heat but they charge more.

Hope you can get her spayed soon.

RICHARD
11-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by gini

They make a huge amount of racket when they are in heat.

LET'S GET MARRIED...

I WANT KIDS....

I WANT A NEW CAR...

I WANT NEW FURNITURE..

I WANT NEW CLOTHES......

Sorry,

wrong thread.....:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Craftlady
11-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
LET'S GET MARRIED...

I WANT KIDS....

I WANT A NEW CAR...

I WANT NEW FURNITURE..

I WANT NEW CLOTHES......

Sorry,

wrong thread.....:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

ROFL :D

DogLover9501
11-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the information everyone.

I am definatly going to get a spayed as soon as I can, my mom said we might have to wait until after Christmas(because of all the money we need around Christmas).

I wanted to make an appointment as soon as we got her but we had to get our van fixed.

So she'll be spayed right after Christmas...my poor girl!!

Also LOL Richard!

Corinna
11-16-2004, 12:08 PM
I don't know about Canada but here some shelters know of low cost vets or will give certificates for discounts. I work with a spay and netur orginasatin that we have clinics and do them very inexpensive. Call vets, shelters ,Pet places,and see if any one has a program.

kimlovescats
11-16-2004, 12:11 PM
It sounds like Emma is in heat ... HOWEVER, there should NOT be any blood!!! Dogs bleed in heat, Cats do NOT! If there is blood, I would get her to a vet!!!

Good luck!

catnapper
11-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Poor girl. There should be low cost clinics in your area. My regular vert charges almost $150, and the low cost clinic does it for half, plus they give rabies shots if needed for the cost. If she is in heat, whatever you do, do not let her get outside at all. (but I'm sure you know that already. :) )

hdeneise
11-16-2004, 12:47 PM
If you can't find a program with a lower cost in your area, perhaps you can talk your vet into a payment program. Most vets, especially if they're your regular vet and know you'll come back, will let you pay some now and maybe $5 or $10 a week until after Christmas.

I know how frustrating it can be to have a cat in heat....the yowling....the backing up to company with their butt in the air....more yowling....but please try to wait until she's not in heat to have her fixed.

My parents had their Daisy fixed while she was in heat and it caused a personality change like I've never seen before. She went from a normal, playful cat to a scaredy cat. She's still loving with the family, but she's terrified of strangers. Even the doorbell will send her running. I've also heard of several other owners reporting the same reaction when their females were fixed while they were in heat.

rosethecopycat
11-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Spaying cuts down on the incidence of mammary cancer in the girls.

If you can't get her spayed till Christmas, just be sure to keep her inside and away from the BOYS!:eek:

DogLover9501
11-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
It sounds like Emma is in heat ... HOWEVER, there should NOT be any blood!!! Dogs bleed in heat, Cats do NOT! If there is blood, I would get her to a vet!!!

Good luck!

Kim, I had no idea that cats didn't bleed in heat! I have even been checking her :o, after I read this I asked my mom if she was sure that she seen blood on her because I haven't seen any since, my mom wasn't too sure either, so she may not even be in heat LOL because that's the only reason we thought she was!
But she has been crying loud.

Originally posted by rosethecopycat
Spaying cuts down on the incidence of mammary cancer in the girls.

If you can't get her spayed till Christmas, just be sure to keep her inside and away from the BOYS!:eek:

Don't worry, she's an inside only cat ;) :D

Logan
11-16-2004, 02:48 PM
If I remember correctly, Robyn, it was a clear discharge that my female cats had, and they sure did "YOWL", loudly, when they were in heat! I couldn't get them "fixed" fast enough!!! LOL!!!

There is more risk, I think, in having them spayed when in heat. With Shrimp Boat, she was going into heat constantly and I finally had it done while she was in heat. I just knew I was going to see every male cat in Kannapolis, NC lined up on my balcony, waiting to "visit", and I wasn't supposed to even have her in my apartment!!!! :eek:

aly
11-16-2004, 05:28 PM
When I first took in Maya, she was in heat. The clinic that I get my fosters fixed at were comfortable with spaying her while she was in heat and she had no complications. I know at the shelter, we do sometimes wait until they come out of heat before spaying. The ones that we do spay while they are in heat have never had any complications though. Thats just my experience.

I felt sorry for Maya when she was in heat too. And I had to wait until Magic was 9 months old to neuter him because he was having some medical issues. I felt REALLY bad for him because he'd walk around YOWLING all night and day.

Jods
11-16-2004, 05:57 PM
My vet told me to do it before the first heat because its harder and more expencise to do after they have there first heat.. Hope this helps your secision a bit. Is Tigger fixed?? :confused: Hope so...... Good luck with whatever happens

lady_zana
11-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Why does it cost more to get a cat spayed when she is in heat? I got all three of my spayed quickly so I didn't realize this...sorry if this is a dumb question....

DogLover9501
11-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks again everyone for all the great information! :)

Originally posted by Jods
Is Tigger fixed?? :confused: Hope so...... Good luck with whatever happens

Yes my big guy is fixed :)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-16-2004, 07:28 PM
The shelter/rescue you got her from doesn't fix cats before adopting them out? All of the shelters and rescues over here do it. It's required, and it's just part of the adoption fee.

Good Luck with Emma, I hope she can be spayed soon.

DogLover9501
11-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
The shelter/rescue you got her from doesn't fix cats before adopting them out? All of the shelters and rescues over here do it. It's required, and it's just part of the adoption fee.

Good Luck with Emma, I hope she can be spayed soon.

No they don't, she wasn't even checked by a vet :( A free examination and vaccination came with the adoption, but I think they should all be checked out first!

catmandu
11-17-2004, 09:02 AM
If she is bleeding,the yowls,might be her,being in pain,please get her,to a Vets ASAP,please.