PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it is unfair for the dog .....

LIzzzzy
11-16-2004, 09:36 AM
To get a tatoo?

I don't, it's a way of indentifiction.

Kiia
11-16-2004, 09:55 AM
There is a difference in tattoos a dog should get.

For identification purposes fine, but not like that other dog who had that huge tattoo on his stomach. (it was a link to a picture in someones post) That's just wrong.

LIzzzzy
11-16-2004, 10:24 AM
I was reffering to tattoos for indetification purposes.

WRR
11-16-2004, 10:28 AM
micro chipping is much better than tattoo's. many rescue organizations have moved to that.

its a lot less trammatizing on the animal too.

dogs_4_me
11-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by WRR
micro chipping is much better than tattoo's. many rescue organizations have moved to that.

its a lot less trammatizing on the animal too.

The only problem with micro chipping is that many people don't bother find out if they have one.

binka_nugget
11-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Kai has a tattoo. I would have preferred having him microchipped rather than being tattooed since our area is very dog friendly and checking a dog for a microchip is very likely.

But if it's for identification purposes, then I suppose it would be okay if it was done by someone qualified (vet! Not a tattoo artist..)

micki76
11-16-2004, 12:43 PM
The only problem with tattooing for ID, is that tattoos fade and can become very hard to read.

dogs_4_me
11-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by micki76
The only problem with tattooing for ID, is that tattoos fade and can become very hard to read.

Moco has had his for just about five years now and it hasn't faded.

Tonya
11-16-2004, 03:29 PM
I dont think a tattoo for identification purposes is cruel, but I don't think it'd be to helpful unless the animal is bald. The fur would make it hard to see the tattoo. A good collar with a tag and microchip seems much better.

micki76
11-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by dogs_4_me
Moco has had his for just about five years now and it hasn't faded.

A lot of them fade. I've personally seen a lot of them that aren't legible.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-16-2004, 04:22 PM
I think tattoo's are great, all of my dogs have them but they got it done while they were under anesthestic while they were getting spayed.

carole
11-16-2004, 04:30 PM
You say you think Tattoos are great, does that mean you had them done for decoration purposes or I.D, if the latter then I think that is ok, if not I strongly object to animals having them done, so that their owner can think they are cool or pleasing to their eye MO only.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by carole
You say you think Tattoos are great, does that mean you had them done for decoration purposes or I.D

If you were saying that about my post I had them done for I.D:) I would NEVER in my life put a decorative tattoo on my dogs! I think they are better than microchips because alot of people will notice a tattoo before a microchip, Tango has both the tattoo and a microchip though.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Greyhounds...including mine are tattooed with their litter number and birthdate on the insides of their ears and then registered with the NGA for identification purposes.

That's how I found out who my hound's breeder/owner was.

KYS
11-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by micki76:The only problem
with tattooing for ID, is that tattoos fade
and can become very hard to read.>>>

This is true if it isn't done right.
Sheba was so stressed that the person applying the
tatoo did not go over the tattoo twice.
So Sheba's tatoo has faded over time and is hard
to read.

I like both tattooing and chipping.
For next time if the vet does chips and tattoo,
I would have the tattoo done while being spayed,
neuter or teeth cleaning.

Tonya
11-16-2004, 06:21 PM
I guess it's just like human tattoos. You have to get a good artist so that it doesn't fade.