PDA

View Full Version : confessions of a Chocoholic......

carole
11-15-2004, 04:41 PM
:D ok this thread is really much to do about nothing.

Today I have been making chocolates to decorate my mother's Birthday cake, you buy the chocolate buttons , melt them in the microwave and put them into moulds, a simple task for the average person.

Now please remind me , next time to make these when the children are present, as a confirmed Chocoholic, I have had to try out the buttons before they enter the microwave, just to make sure they are of quality of course:D lick the fork I use to stir it with, then the teaspoon, and then there is the bowl afterwards and of course one has to try the finished product.

Ten minutes later, one Chocoholic swearing never ever to touch the stuff again.:o

Oh well the chocolate stars and hearts will look nice on the cake, and I KNOW they taste good.

As my mind and body are consumed with chocolate, I am wondering what is your favourite chocolate(yes I believe we have had a thread before, but we have lots of new members who may wish to share their love of the most evil temptation alive lol.)

Ah well there goes that kilo I promised myself to shed this week.

I love our NZ chocolate, not too keen on American or Australian chocolate, although I do like Herseys, my favs have to be Belguim,German, Swiss (Toberlone especially the white).

So please post your fav and can I please have a little empathy from my fellow chocoholic PTer's I know you are out there lol.;) :D

BCBlondie
11-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate!!! You're making me crave some just thinking about it!! :p

I like all kinds pretty much.. I haven't had too many international chocolates, but I like milk and dark chocolate, and I like chocolate from Latvia... and chocolate candies, like Hersheys, Milky Way, Muskateers, Kit Kat, etc... I don't mind white chocolate either... If it's chocolate, I'll eat it! :) :D (unless it has nuts... I don't like almonds and stuff >.< )

Edwina's Secretary
11-15-2004, 05:01 PM
The other night we went to a restaurant that had Chocolate Creme Brulee!!!

It was FABULOUS!!!!

carole
11-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I think my craving has been satisfied for today at least,perhaps a little more than enough, but tomorrow is another day, now that is a true chocoholic talking.lol:) :D

Yep I pretty much will eat anything that has chocolate on it, with few exceptions, I love all nuts covered in the stuff, reminds me they were saying on the TV how good nuts were for you, especially almonds in reducing heart attacks, a small amount per day, my 12 yr old daughter who has never tried plain almonds, says "cool I love those scorched almonds", umm yes well so do I, they are smothered in a very generous layer of milk, white or dark chocolate, unfortunately they mean't plain almond nuts.;)

popcornbird
11-15-2004, 05:52 PM
My absolute FAVORITE chocolate is See's Candies' Almond Squares. They're SO darn GOOD!!! I also looove swiss chocolate..... Heck I love any chocolate, but nothing beats See's Candies and swiss chocolate. My favorite chocolates either have nuts in them, or caramel, or both, but just plain milk chocolate or white chocolate is good too. :p I'm a chocoholic, if you can't tell. ;) He he he. The only chocolate I don't really care for is dark chocolate. I don't really like chocolate ice cream either.

carole
11-15-2004, 06:42 PM
PCB I am the same as you, I really don't care for Dark Chocolate or Chocolate ice cream, but if there is nothing else on offer I can make myself eat it lol.

Did you know Dark Chocolate is better for you than the others.

Isn't swiss Chocolate one of the best,?Have you tried the Toberlone with nougat pieces in it PCB? it is chocolate to die for!!!:) :D

Jamieejo85
11-16-2004, 12:12 AM
I love white chocolate!

davidpizzica
11-16-2004, 01:00 AM
I used to be a chocolate fiend, but since I'm borderline diabetic, I can only eat it if it has artificial sweetner in it. If not, my blood sugar goes sky high!!

catfancier
11-16-2004, 02:46 AM
And I have come in fresh from having Tim Tams and choccie Macaroons for dessert!
I love nestle caramel kit kats, I like the new nestle raspberry river with double blend chocolate, i love anything cadburys, i will eat peanut slabs though I like the raisin peanut slabs more (I only eat nuts when they're covered in chocolate - like scorched almonds which Matt and I polished off last night!)
I don't like white chocolate as much as either milk or dark.
I work with an English girl who bought some Lindt dark chocolate one day - 70% cocoa solids. I'm not a huge fan of dark chocolate but this was pretty nice - not bitter at all, and because it was so dark, you couldn't eat too much of it!
I don't know what my favourite is!
I also like belgian sea shells and toblerones as well :)
When I was in that States every time I went to Albuquerque I went to Coronado mall where I got some raspberry filled chocolates from See's Candy like Popcornbird mentioned - they were delicious!
I could go on forever :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-16-2004, 03:14 AM
Did someone say CHOCOLATE ???:p :p :p
I adore chocolate, and I have no problem in finding good chocolate: I live in Belgium, the best chocolate-country of the world!! My favorite is dark, but if in real "need", I will eat the milk or evn white chocolate too ;) .
Who doesn't know our best brands: Côte D'Or, Jacques, Godiva, Callebaut, Meurisse, etc...
Oh my; oh my, this thread is making me soooooooo chocolate-hungry :D ; no problem: there is a large bar of "milk with hazelnut" from Côte D'Or in the kitchen :p :p :p

Killearn Kitties
11-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Well, the word "chocolate" in the title would certainly make me open a thread!

We have a company here which sources the best chocolate from all over the world and they send out monthly tasting boxes if you subscribe to their chocolate tasting club. *SIGH* It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it ...

lynnestankard
11-16-2004, 07:11 AM
AAAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Ta Carole - that's me slavering and slurping like a lunatic - I'm sure I hear you type the word Chocolate.

I just luuuuurve chocolate - but not white chocolate - to me it doesn't taste of chocolate at all - just very sweet like condensed milk!! I adore plain and milk choccy - Cadbury's of course - well you didn't expect a limey to 'like' other choccy did you?????:D :D
But I do love Toblerone, Lindt, Belgian, Mars bars, Maltesers, Crunchies, anything with nuts, Black Magic, Terry's All Gold, Thorntons Continental, oh you get the idea..............................

Karen - I was thinking of joining that Chocolate Tasting club but have lost the form - do they have a web site?

Right I'm off to raid the fridge - I'm sure I have some Bourneville lurking in there.............................

Lynne

QueenScoopalot
11-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Lindt chocolate truffles are to die for! I also love the hazelnut bars they sell covered with that yummy creamy chocolate. They make an excellent white chocolate as well which doesn't taste like chemicals (or soap)! :p Have to leave this thread as I'm drooling all over the keyboard! :D

carole
11-16-2004, 01:15 PM
I am not to keen on white chocolate either, but when My son brought home three huge bars of Toberlone, milk, dark and white, the white was by far the superior.

One bar I don't like is the snickers bar, it taste too salty for my liking, but crunchies oh yes, another favourtie, Lynne it seems you get most of what we have here too.

Yes Lut there is no denying you have one of the best chocolates in the world, I love belguim chocolate, its the best, along with German and Swiss.:)

Today I swear I am NOT having any chocolate near my lips, enough is enough.;)

A chocolate tasting club, where where?? sign me up!!! :D

Miss Meow
11-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by carole
I am not to keen on white chocolate either, but when My son brought home three huge bars of Toberlone, milk, dark and white, the white was by far the superior.

Carole, I love all the Toberlones but especially the white! It's like condensed milk in a bar :D

Haigh's chocolate here is beautiful. I also like Lindt Lindor balls, especially the new mint flavour, Terry's chocolate orange, white Maltesers but I think they're being discontinued :(, nice dark chocolate, Caramello Koalas, hmmmmmm :D

flamepony12
11-16-2004, 07:49 PM
YUM, CHOCOLATE! :D I LOVE reeses and butterfingers, I also .love. hershey's. :) I always am stealing m&ms and stuff from the candy jar ;) also when I went to canada i discovered aero bars! :D

Logan
11-16-2004, 09:30 PM
I guess I should be ashamed of myself :o , but I am one woman who has no fetish for chocolate at all!!!! :o The occasional Snickers Bar (at Halloween) or a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup are just about all that ever entice me into the Chocolate "haze" that all of you talk about.

My problem (weight wise) is my love for anything salty. That's a whole different topic!!! :o

carole
11-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Logan we all have our vices, lol, maybe you just have not tried a decent bar of chocolate yet!

I wondered how long it would be before you came by Nicole, you are so right Toberlone white is the best, Scott brought back these huge bars that retail here for 13 dollars each, one of each flavour, and I have already put my order in for more if he goes to England again next year, yep white, white and white please, pity they weigh a bit, otherwise he could bring back double the amount.

Aero bars are superb as well.!!!:)

dogs_4_me
11-16-2004, 09:54 PM
I don't like chocolate that much. I'm allergic to nuts so most of the good ones I can't have anyway:p

carole
11-16-2004, 10:01 PM
I sometimes wish I did not like chocolate, it's my big downfall, that and ice cream, I have a real sweet tooth,life without Chocolate would be very sad indeed.:) :D

micki76
11-16-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't have much of a sweet tooth, except for chocolate. I adore it. All of it, but especially milk chocolate. Mmmmm..... http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/drool.gif

Off to raid the pantry!!! :p

catfancier
11-16-2004, 11:03 PM
Hey Carole do you remember when Cadbury's brought out Caramilk? Caramel/Condensed milk flavoured chocolate? That was delicious. I'm disappointed it's not around anymore.

I have just remembered my ultimate luxurious indulgence, and luckily for me most years Easter falls around my birthday so I get lots - Cadbury Creme Eggs! I can't have enough of those :) I've loved them since I was old enough to know how good chocolate was! (The original type is the best, of course)

Killearn Kitties
11-17-2004, 05:38 AM
I've never felt the same way about Cadburys Creme Eggs since seeing someone eat 20 in a row for charity.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Today, I bought some chocolate figurines!! We can alwys buy these around Saint Nicolas Day (Dec 6).
Yummie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/chocolade1.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/chocolade2.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/maya-album1.jpg
maya is enjoying an empty chocolate box (MILKA)

NoahsMommy
11-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
The other night we went to a restaurant that had Chocolate Creme Brulee!!!

It was FABULOUS!!!!
OMG!! WHERE????? I couldn't finished reading the rest of this thread once I saw this. YUMM!!!!!!

NoahsMommy
11-17-2004, 11:14 AM
OK, I'll stop drooling over the possibility of a chocolate creme brulee for a few moments to give a real response. ;) Mmmmm....

I LOVE chocolate. My favorites include:
*See's (especially the brown sugar squares)
*Godiva (mmmmm....all of it is wonderful)
*Snickers/Reeses/Hersheys
*Cadbury anything...mmmmm
*Dove milk chocolate

I have a cup of hot chocolate every night as well.

Hey, anyone see Down with Love? You know that part about chocolate triggering the same response as...um...well, its in the movie. I don't think its too far fetched. ;)

sirrahbed
11-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Ritter Sport bars - the ones made with marzipan inside:) We bought them in Germany but I think they may be from Belgium or maybe Holland? Does anyone know what I am talking about? They were always at the checkout like our American Nestle and Hershey. YUM! They come in lots of varieties like with hazlenuts, milk chocolate, dark, coconut, almond, nougat, etc...

Oh yes and Cadbury eggs!! OMEGOSH!!!

My favorite American bar is called Zero - but I do not often see it....

For American chocolates - See's, Brandts and Esther Price:)

Corinna
11-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Chocolate it comes in different flavors?:D Its one of the things as a diabetic I miss most. Thank dog they now have major companies making suger free (just have to watch what they use as sweetner.)
I have a t-shirt given to me by a freind "Give me chocolate and no one gets hurt."

NoahsMommy
11-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Ritter Sport bars - the ones made with marzipan inside:) We bought them in Germany but I think they may be from Belgium or maybe Holland? Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Yes! I know what those are! They sell those at Cost Plus over here. They have a ton of different varities. Yum. :)

I forgot Toblerone. If you like that, you'll LOVE the Toblerone Cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory. YUMMY!!!

carole
11-17-2004, 06:15 PM
O MY gosh did you say Toberlone Cheesecake, that sounds absolutely delicious, being that Toberlone is probably my most favourite chocolate of all, tell me what they taste like so I can at least have that pleasure lol.?;) :D

zippy-kat
11-17-2004, 06:57 PM
DARK CHOCOLATE any brand!! :D

Cookiebaker
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
DARK CHOCOLATE any brand!! :D

Yesterday was our 8th anniverary of our engagement, and Mark brought me Burdick's Chocolates. They are soooo good! Very dark, and sooooo creamy. I believe it is local to VT only. Mmmmmm!

Cookiebaker
11-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed

My favorite American bar is called Zero - but I do not often see it....

They sell Zero bars around here. I had never heard of them until my coworker mentioned that the Zero was her absolute favorite. After that, I noticed that they were everywhere. :p

carole
11-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Maybe we should have a chocolate swap he he!!! then we can see who has the best chocolate lol. just kiddin.:) :D

zippy-kat
11-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by carole
Maybe we should have a chocolate swap he he!!! then we can see who has the best chocolate lol. just kiddin.:) :D

That's actually a wonderful idea(!) -- but what about customs - I know certain things aren't allowed to be sent?

carole
11-18-2004, 06:23 PM
I think Chocolate is ok, here in NZ anyway, I brought back heaps of different chocolate bars when I visited the US, no problem bringing them in, mind you that was many, many years ago, things could have changed, but I have had German chocolates sent to me from Germany as well, again no problems, probably worth checking though, could be a bit of a costly exercise, as they would weigh a bit to send.;)

catfancier
11-19-2004, 02:16 AM
I just sent a care package over to mate in Japan filled with chips, lollies, peanut butter and tomato sauce - no problems with customs at all because they were all in their original wrappers/packaging.

I received a fair bit of NZ chocolate when I was in the US as well in care packages, so it's fine for us Kiwis to send out chocolate (again as long as it's in it's original packaging). I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to send out choccies from other countries either - would pay to check with the post office first.

lynnestankard
11-19-2004, 04:35 AM
I've sent choccy to USA and Canada - no problems!!

The only drawback is the cost of postage - it's very expensive.

Lynne

zippy-kat
11-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Cool!
I'm game if anyone else is. :)