PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my kitties welcome?

hdeneise
11-15-2004, 03:13 PM
I posted this in behavior, but on second thought, it might be better here--Over the weekend, my husband and I have adopted two new family members. The cats came from my coworker's daughters home in another state. They were well loved and well adjusted cats, but her new baby was allergic to them (one is long-haired), so I'm their new mom. I've had cats all of my life, but I've always gotten them as kittens, so adjustment was easy.

When they came to the house, the cats had been traquilized for the 6 hour trip, so it didn't really suprize me when they headed under the furniture straight out of the carriers. They've been pretty much left alone over the weekend to adjust to the new surroundings, but I'm getting a little concerned.

We've only seen Boo-Boo 2 or 3 times, and he'll allow himself to be petted briefly, but you can tell he's not happy about it. Kelly, on the otherhand, in a no-show. We see her sitting in the window when we come home, but as soon as the key hits the lock, she's under the sofa.

At least one of them is eating (or at least some of the food is disappearing) and they seem to be using the litterbox.

What can I do to make them feel more at home and become more comfortable with us? We have the same food, food bowls, litterbox and their favorite toys (their owner really didn't want them to go), but they're just not interested. .....Help--I want happy kitties

Jods
11-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Maybe the first few weeks you should keep them only in one room and go in and talk to them every so often and spend time with them if they are free to roam right away its more intimidating and they have more places to hide... Try that good luck!! :)

RedHedd
11-15-2004, 03:25 PM
I responded to your post over in Cat Behavior. Just give them time; keep them in a smaller enclosed room and spend quiet time with them. They will come around. Welcome to PT!

hdeneise
11-16-2004, 08:54 AM
When I came home from work last night, my husband was in the floor with Boo-Boo in his lap . Boo-Boo is doing really well, he wandered around the house all night and came over occasionally to be petted. This morning he greeted us at the bedroom door and followed us around the house meowing for behind the ear scritches.

Kelly isn't so great. She got up IN the sleeper sofa. Stephen and I took out the cushions (for fear she'd get squished) and she darted into the kitchen. We closed the kitchen doors and brought Boo-Boo in hoping to calm her down........Have you ever seen the guys at the circus ride motorcycles in the big steel round cages?? That's what Kelly did to our kitchen. Broken glasses and don't even ask about the spice rack. She finally settled in a chair in the corner where she sat anxiously the rest of the night.

The attachment is some pictures from their former owner. Boo-Boo is the fat one (over 19 pounds) and Kelly is the smaller one with the mustache.

hdeneise
11-16-2004, 09:49 AM
How can I get Pictures in the post???

hdeneise
11-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Here they are, Kelly is the one with the mustache, Boo-Boo is the Fatty....(I'll send more when they come out of hiding...)

IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2243225093&p=4131230944&idx=1[/IMG]

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/images/vb_bullet.gif (http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2243225093&p=4131230944&idx=1)

jazzcat
11-16-2004, 10:25 PM
They are very cute. How is it going with them?

catmandu
11-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Time,and TLC,are the only ways,to socialize your New Cats! It seems a lifetime ago,but John,Rocca,and Precious,all took over a year,to really like me,and be comfortable,with The Other Cats,and me.Patience,and one day,you will be Fast friends.