PDA

View Full Version : Nauseous

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-15-2004, 01:38 PM
No really. I've been feeling nauseous for the past couple hours. I thought eating something would help - hasn't. I know the best thing is to just throw up and get whatever it is out, but I just can't bring myself to stick my finger down my throat.

Anybody have any suggestions? I've got a drug store about 2 blocks away I could run to....

I'm actually thinking about leaving work, so I know it's really something and not just me not wanting to be here.

lizzielou742
11-15-2004, 01:48 PM
There is anti-nausea stuff you can buy at the drugstore, that I have taken before. It did help, but didn't stop the nausea completely, but then again I was REALLY sick at the time.

I always try a Pepto, Tums and Sprite combo. Have you eaten anything today? Tried to drink water?

Hope you feel better soon!

Logan
11-15-2004, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't eat anything else, Debbie. If you can tolerate a Ginger Ale (if you can get your hands on one), that might be the best thing to try until you can get home.

I hope you feel better soon! By the way, I got the answer to my question! I'll PM you with the answer!!!!

Logan

popcornbird
11-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Debbie, make some tea with fresh mint and a little sugar. Drink it SLOWLY though...sip by sip. That often helps. Hope you feel better soon.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks everybody. I called my boss and I'm heading home. I usually don't like to take sick days becaue I'd rather take the day off when I'm feeling good, but this just isn't working.

I'll stop at the drug store and pick up some ginger ale to get me home, and see what else they might have.

The good news? I'll be able to make it home in about 1/2 hour because there's no traffic at this time of day! (My mother always taught me to look on the bright side of things.) ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

slick
11-15-2004, 02:11 PM
:( :( So sorry to hear you're not feeling well Debbie. I guess you are on your way home now.

I've always heard that drinking salt water can make the "bad stuff" come up. Never tried it though. Gravol works for eliminating the upset tummy but also puts you to sleep. Maybe that's what you need. Some serious sleep time with Dr. Tubby and Nurse Peanut.

Please email me later if you're up to it and let me know you are OK.

hugs
slick
xo

wolflady
11-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Don't you just hate that feeling? I know that when I feal nauseated, I've tried all of these:

--tums, pepto
--ginger ale (Vernors is my favorite)
--tea (lemon and honey, or mint)

For food, I usually stick with chicken broth and crackers.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Vio&Juni
11-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Oh, I've had a major food poisoning when I was 15, when in three days I lost 7-8 kilos (15-18 pounds). Luckily, I was studying in a boarding school, where I was getting treatment for another health problem and there were plenty of doctors there. They caught it right in time. NOW, when I ONLY think that the food was not good, I do not keep it in my stomach :D

NoahsMommy
11-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Being the queen of uppyset tummies, here is what I do:

-Drink ice cold water, slowly
-Sit up...it helps to settle the stomach
-Drink anything bubbly if the water doesn't help

-If you want to throw up, sitting close to the toilet always does something to my gag reflex. Maybe that can help?

I hope you feel better soon, Debbie. Upset stomachs are no fun.

sirrahbed
11-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Debbie???

kimlovescats
11-15-2004, 08:41 PM
I think it's that time of year when all the stomach bugs start going around. :rolleyes: I hate those things ... have had too many in my lifetime ... hope you feel better SOON, Debbie!

Nurse Sirrahbed .... any good suggestions????

Kim;)

Tonya
11-15-2004, 09:32 PM
I drink Pedialyte when I'm nauseous. It works wonders. It's also an awesome hangover cure. :D

gini
11-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Debbie, I hope you are feeling better now and that you made it home safely.

Check in with us when you are feeling a bit better.

sirrahbed
11-16-2004, 05:06 AM
Debbie ???

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Years ago I learnt a good trick to throw up.
I started taking new pills, but then we found out that I was allergic to one of the ingredients. Next morning, half asleep :rolleyes: , I put another pill in my mouth and swallowed. In panic, I called my doc. He told me to put 4 tablespoons of salt in half a glass of water. Stir it until the salt is dissolved.
When you drink this, you'd better be close to the toilet, as your stomach reacts almost immediately!!
The pill got out then; I felt weird because of all the salt, but was glad that the pill came back out :eek:

Take care, debbie!!!

slick
11-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Debbie......ppppaaallllleeeezzze check in! I've not heard from you. Even if you can't get up, get Terry to log and give us an update.

ramanth
11-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Hope you're feeling better Debbie! :)

slick
11-16-2004, 10:29 AM
I see you're posting in Cat General so you must be OK. Whew!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Hi everybody. :) Thank you all so much for your concern, you guys are the best.

Yes, I went home and went right to bed. I knew I was sick because:
1) I went home
2) The first thing Terry did when I got home was turn up the heat and put me to bed. We have a big down comforter on the bed and even when the heat is at 62 the comforter is sometimes too hot and I can't sleep. But yesterday I was actually chilly while under the comforter and with the heat up.
3) I slept for 2 hours straight then had to get up and go to a totally unrelated Dr's appointment. I got back, had a bit of chicken soup, lounged on the couch for a bit and then went back to bed, where I slept right through the night except to get up once to go to the bathroom.

All 3 of these are highly unusual for me, so I know I wasn't just faking it. ;) I do feel SO much better this morning. Had a bit of a headache, but I took some Tylenol and now I even that is mostly gone.

I have no idea what it was, but I'm so glad it's over with. I just hate that nauseous feeling. I'll have to remember the salt water trick because I'm with Vio in that I know whatever is nasty has to come out before I'll feel better.

Thanks again for all your concern and for not checking in. When I was on the couch I thought about checking in to let you all know I was ok, but I just couldn't bring myself to get the computer out. For once Terry was being an extra good nurse and I just wanted to relax and wallow in that for awhile. ;)

Dr. Tubby was a BIG help, but Nurse Peanut was rather scarce. Now if it had been Terry that was sick, Nurse Peanut would have been all over him. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Thanks again everyone - and especially to Deb who offered some very good advice.

kimlovescats
11-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Glad you are feeling much better today!

(hugs)
Kim:)

NoahsMommy
11-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Glad you're better today. :)

Dr. Tubby, what a sweetie. :)