PDA

View Full Version : Baklava

Tonya
11-15-2004, 11:53 AM
I just had to brag a little. :D My friend's mom is Greek and I got learn how to make Baklava last night. It was her mom, her grandmother, grandfather and I. I loooove Baklava!

RedHedd
11-15-2004, 01:41 PM
YUMM! My mom used to make it (we're Russian .... close enough to Greek Orthodox though that we share a lot of the same recipes).

smokey the elder
11-15-2004, 01:44 PM
ooh--sugar overload!:D

tatsxxx11
11-15-2004, 05:00 PM
My long time friend is Lebanese and his Mom taught me how to make a lot of middle eastern delicacies including baklava! I love Greek food too! Keep picking her brain Tonya and write down the recipes and share!!!:) Ohl you've got me hungry now:D

BCBlondie
11-15-2004, 05:10 PM
What exactly is Baklava?

Congrats on learning how to make it though! :D lol

Karen
11-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Baklava is a wonderful honey-dripping classic Greek dessert - layers of filo dough (puff-pastry dough) with loads of honey, butter and chopped nuts is a basic description. It's nearly impossible to eat neatly, but worth the sticky fingers!

popcornbird
11-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Baklava is sooooooo good!!!!!!!!! I want to learn to make it. :p What kind of baklava did you make? The normal square ones with pastry on the top and bottom, and nuts in the middle? One of my friend's mom makes the BEST baklava, and so many different kinds. Some of them are 'rolls', and boy are they GOOD!!! I'm not sure if Greeks make different kinds though. Do they? Arabs have a lot of 'different' baklavas.

Tonya
11-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Baklava is sooooooo good!!!!!!!!! I want to learn to make it. :p What kind of baklava did you make? The normal square ones with pastry on the top and bottom, and nuts in the middle? One of my friend's mom makes the BEST baklava, and so many different kinds. Some of them are 'rolls', and boy are they GOOD!!! I'm not sure if Greeks make different kinds though. Do they? Arabs have a lot of 'different' baklavas.

This is three layers of filo with butter on them, then the filling which is sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. You roll them up and slice them. Then you bake them and coat them in the honey stuff.

flamepony12
11-15-2004, 08:01 PM
oooh yum!! :D my dad knows how to make that!! :D

luckies4me
11-15-2004, 08:35 PM
YUMMY! I LOVE that stuff! :D

caseysmom
11-16-2004, 09:45 AM
I am not such a good baker, my local costco carries baklava during the holidays...I love it!

Barbara
11-16-2004, 09:57 AM
I want a slice- right now. Beam it over Scotty;)

tatsxxx11
11-16-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm with you PCB....the rolled up kind is the best, the entire center is nuts! I like mine with just a thin layer of phyllo!:D The pistachio ones are the best! My middle eastern friends do not use honey but a simple sugar syrup with either rose water or orange blossom water added for flavoring! YUM!

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Mmmmmmmm, sounds delicious!!
Tonya, is it possible to post that recipe with us? My hubby and I both are "sweet-teeth" ;) :p ;)

Killearn Kitties
11-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Ooh, II love Baklava. There is not much point in telling us about it though, where is it??!

Tonya
11-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
Mmmmmmmm, sounds delicious!!
Tonya, is it possible to post that recipe with us? My hubby and I both are "sweet-teeth" ;) :p ;)

She didn't really have a specific recipe. Everything was to taste. I can tell you the basics, but I need to ask her about the honey part first. She makes that the night before because she likes it to be cool when he pours it over the hot baklava.

RICHARD
11-16-2004, 03:19 PM
http://www.demidesign.com/MS_balaclava.htm

:confused:

Tonya
11-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
http://www.demidesign.com/MS_balaclava.htm

:confused:

LOL, I don't think you can eat those, Richard!

RICHARD
11-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
LOL, I don't think you can eat those, Richard!

The balaclava is to keep you from eating too much baklava...;)

moosmom
11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Tonya,

I absolutely LOOOOOOOVE baklava!! My best friend buys it every year for our Christmas celebration. It so sweet and gooey.

Uabassoon
11-16-2004, 04:58 PM
I love it sooo much! We sell it at the coffee shop I work at and I'm always so tempted to eat it. But I'm on a diet :( I still have a piece every now and then, it's helps relieve work stress :)