PDA

View Full Version : The Friendship Thread

slick
11-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Since so many of us are having trouble with friendships these days I thought I would start this Friendship Thread. Don't know if this will go over but here goes.

Do you, or did you, have one true friend in your life OUTSIDE of Pet Talk? Someone who would come over at 3am just to console you? Someone who would give the shirt off his/her back to keep you warm? Someone who will stick by you through thick and thin? That person could be a childhood friend or perhaps a coworker. If so, then you are very, very lucky. Has that friend done something unbelievably special for you? We all have special friends through Pet Talk but I'm talking about people in your personal lives. Personally, I don't have anyone that fits into this category. Do you?

I want to make this a postive thread.

sirrahbed
11-14-2004, 10:05 AM
I have my one best friend Darla. We met when our youngest kids, who are now 20, were starting kindergarten so we have been friends for about 15 years. Since our families are both military - keeping a long term friendship is often difficult but she has endured like a little sister to me. She has been with me through my depressions, hospitalizations, the death of my mom and a terrible crisis with my church. I have been with her through her divorce, heartbreak, living as a single mom and just many painful things. She now lives six hours away but we e-mail every day and talk on the phone once a month or so for a couple hours.
She loves dogs and I love cats. She loves sports and I love sitting around. She is outgoing and I am shy. But we are best friends and I know we would do anything for each other at anytime. We can count on it:D

I only wish I had a friend who was close by - but since I DO have a best friend, I am blessed:)

I HAD to come back and add to this! I LIVE with my very best friend! It is my hubby. I met him when I was 15 years old and will have been married to him for 30 years in December. He has always been there for me no matter what. I can wake him at 3am and he will sit up and listen to me cry. He will literally give me his shirt if I am cold. He still loves me and thinks I am beautiful and looks at me like he did before his eyes went bad :D He treats me like a porcelain princess and taught ours sons to do the same. He taught my daughter that she was special and better expect to be treated that way. He loves animals and is gentle but can go to work as a sub and scare the pants off high school kids and have them calling him "sir". He is honest and loving, smart and interesting. He tells corny jokes and plays any musical instrument with strings. He can build just about anything out of wood. Here we are looking goofy - about to leave for our trip to Kentucky and Tennessee last month
:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/start_trip.jpg

slleipnir
11-14-2004, 10:09 AM
No, not really...

neko1
11-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by slleipnir
No, not really...

me too...

Tonya
11-14-2004, 10:25 AM
I have a few friends that I care for, but only one that I trust with all my heart. I feel secure that no distance, man or woman, or circumstance will ever come between us. Her name is Tina and we've been friends since we were 12. She lives in San Diego (about 7 -8 hours away), but we see eachother about every other month. We don't talk to often because neither of us are phone people but we always pick up where we left off when we see eachother. She's the one person in the world that I feel comfortable telling any and everything to. She knows everything about me (and me about her).

She's hilarious and totally crazy. We have so much fun together. When I became a mother, alot of my friends faded away. The family life has never bothered Tina. She'll turn a night out down just to hang out with me.

Here's us on a night out this spring...right before I got pregnant. I think we were in Long Beach.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid146/pbcab2efcc62cc031543a89810ee30424/f644e339.jpg

And us with Marge and Sas. We've been close friends with them since we were young also. Marge eventually married Tina's brother, so she's also Tina's sister in law now.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid146/p4e61e70e0b871de1fb173ca23d0186ac/f644e33b.jpg

cloverfdx
11-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Great thread topic. :)

Yes Heather, we have been friends for about 9- 10 years now and she is like a sister to me. heather has helped me through so many uncertain times in my life and was so patient with me during those times :D, i dont remember at anytime ever fighting with Heather. We have gotton ourselves into trouble in our younger days, and we were motivation for one another when trying to get fit.
So yes i love my Hevs, she is a great friend.

Tonya
11-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Ooop! I forgot my husband, Mike! :o I love him to death and I know that he will always be there for me. I think sometimes I take him for granted and forget him because he's always here.

RubyMutt
11-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Nice thread :)

Yes, although two of my best RL friends are PT members as well (jenfer and veegan). I see veegan everyday since she's my roommate and we've been friends for 13 years now :eek:. Jenfer I usually see at least once a week :)

I do have two close friends outside of PT...

Justin I have known for 7 years. We're incredibly close, we can talk to each other about anything. He's currently attending the University of Kentucky and I miss him like crazy :( However, I am going to be visiting him towards the end of next month :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/pf3a856201b6366cbefdc5461c25b7726/f70e7efa.jpg

Cerissa I have known for 6 years. She's very sweet, a lot of fun. Cerissa is also in college, although her school is only about 2 hours away so I'm able to see her about once a month :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p4b0e51cb1020a7acfbf7f21e0823dae5/fb869485.jpg

jazzcat
11-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Nope, I seem to be one of those people that have good friends for certain periods of my life. I had good friends growing up but lost touch with them after we graduated high school and then I had good friends in college but soon lost touch after graduation. When I worked I had some good friends but lost touch after they or I left work. I've been so consumed with my parents the past several years that I haven't had the chance to meet anyone.

My husband and I started dating almost 20 years ago in high school and we've been married 14 years. He's my only constant and he is my one and only best friend.

cookieluver7
11-14-2004, 11:24 AM
yes. and i know that i am lucky. my friends and i do everything together and i love them dearly.;)

dogs_4_me
11-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Things have been a bit rocky between my friends and I, but I know they will always be there for me, as I will be for them.

Amber
11-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Yes.

Brittany has been my one true friend for about 13 or so years. We've been friends since babys. Our moms are best friends too, so thats what started it all.

Me and her are like sisters, we even call eachother "sis" too. :o Me and her can talk about anything. absolutly anything without embarrassment. We can talk on the phone all night without being bored. And everytime we are together, something ALWAYS happens to us, and it always turns out funny. She's always their to hear my problems or something. I always do the same for her.

Britt was about my only friend growing up, until I met my other great friends.

None of my friends will ever compare to her.

KYS
11-14-2004, 11:36 AM
(friends outside of PT)

I have to say that my very best friends would be my
family.
My Aunt has been my ear and my psychiatrist.
All of my sisters have been my support and one
of them keeps me busy.
2 friends that I met on an Akita list years ago,
have also been their too.

Just yestuday I received a CD in a book called
I hope you Dance by one of them.

Even though I have had many set backs,
I realized I am truely blessed.

(My dogs are right up their too.) :)

Corinna
11-14-2004, 11:47 AM
I have one Trudy I met about 20 years ago .I was signing up my daughter for Daisy girl scouts and as I homeschooled I wanted a troop that had some others in it. Trudywas in a meeting and jumped and requested we be put in her troop . The rest as they say is histroy.
Here is Trudy takem on my trip to Washington this last month. Her youngest daughter (i was there to help deliver this one )
My best freind is hubby also don't know what I would do with out him.

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-14-2004, 12:52 PM
I've got lots of really good friends like that...gosh, do I feel very blessed!;) There's Diana my best friend, and I've known her for almost 10 years now (3/4 of my life!) and though we've fought here and there, we've always been great buddies.

Then there's Lindsey, Kathryn, Amee, and Katie...they've always been my buddies, even though I've only known them almost 4 years tops. Lindsey, Kat and I are three great friends, and have promised to be buddies forever, same with Diana. So I feel pretty lucky for my close friends (sisters, really!), as well as family too (and of course Blaze!):D:D...God has blessed me with each of them, AND their pets!!! (I love their horses, dogs, and animals too!!!):D

Tina
11-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Nope:(

I've done lost contact with alot of my good friends over the last 6 years. I miss them so much. :( I have one friend I do still talk to maybe 1 or 2 times every month that is it.:(

manda_moo87
11-14-2004, 12:58 PM
I have a couple close friends but I wouldn't say they are "true" friends. :p

chrissycat21
11-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Yes, I have two friends like that, Sammie and Katie.

I've known Sammie since I was born. Our parents are friends so we see each other a lot because of that. We always have fun together and can be up all night talking about nothing. We don't have too many similar interests, I love animals and could never be away from them, she hates nature. She thinks nature is a scary place and she loves shopping. We keep each other balanced.:p :D

My other good friend, Katie, and I have also known each other since we were little but, we used to hate each other! Our parents are also friends. We are more alike, we both love animals and want to be vets. She is alot quiter than Sammie though (Sammie can talk your ear off!)

They have both helped me deal with hard times and no matter what they have always been my friends!

ChrisH
11-14-2004, 03:44 PM
My last best friend was my hubby, so, nope, not me.

BCBlondie
11-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Friends outside PT:

My cousin is my best friend. We've grown up together and we've always been like sisters. People have even asked us if we're sisters :eek: , but we're actually not even blood-related! (Only through marriage of my parents are we related) She's the bass player of my "band" lol. :)

I have another really good friend I met at Latvian camp in Washington state. We talk online every day since he lives 7 hours away from me! :eek: But when we see each other we always have sooo much fun together. :)

All of the other friends I had moved away to different colleges, hours away, different states, or even a another country!... :(

Chica
11-14-2004, 04:02 PM
No, I have to say that my friends have come and gone. My true friends are my family. They are there for every one of us. My sisters and brother-in-laws, nieces, and nephews to. :) And my very best loyal buddy is Chica;) my Brindle Chihuahua.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/brindlebabypose.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/pinksweater-1.jpg

My Little Chica:)

Kater
11-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Yes, I have six very close friends that I've known since childhood or high school. I hope we never lose touch with each other. :) Right now, they all go to college out of state and so I only see them during breaks. I call them about once a week and we chat on instant messengers. Some of them have serious boyfriends and I was afraid our friendship might be affected negatively, but thankfully it wasn't. Some of them have begun growing in different directions (socially, politically, emotionally) and we've stuck that out too. One of my close friends is studying abroad in France this year - for the WHOLE year, and isn't even coming home for Christmas break. This is the longest I've ever had to be away from her since the 9th grade, and I miss her a lot. We can only e-mail each other - no calls, no instant messenger - but she's still been there for me to offer guidance and support, across all those miles. We will both turn 21 in December and so I'm putting together her birthday package now to send to her. I'm really sad that we won't get to be with each other for our birthdays this year, but at least I know she's having the time of her life. :D
This thread has made me realize how lucky I am.

CamCamPup33
11-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Yep.

First theirs my two sisters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/AmberLynn/tyamstephy.jpg

(L to R- Me 14, Tylene 25, Stephanie 19)

They are the best. I love them with all of my heart. I tell them everything, and vice versa. Being with them it's like going to disney or something, they are just soo fun and we always end up laughing so hard, in each other's presence.

We recently went on vacation together, just the 3 of us and i never wanted it to end. We had a blast, I would never ever want to replace them.

And then their is Ashley.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/AmberLynn/co%2004/ashlers.jpg

When you see Amber, there's ashley following, or vice versa. Our parent's are best friends, and we always said that our dog's and cat's were too. :p We go to different schools now, so i miss her terribly. We still try and talk though, but we both get busy.

We tell eachother everything. She's there for me, no matter what.

I love her like she was my own sister. She's my mom's 6th child. ;) :p

binka_nugget
11-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Yup! I have some amazing friends but I have one very special friend. Recently, things have been getting rough but we always overcome our problems. Actually, we just got over another argument yesterday but I think we're even better off now than before.

Tiffaney is a wonderful person. She's very understanding of others, and shares a love for animals as well. We've had some great times together since Grade 8.

Tiff and I heading back home from Whistler:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alpha_sheltie/TiffandI2.jpg

Some fun times at the mall/photobooth:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/alpha_sheltie/TiffandI1.jpg

Tonya
11-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
Yep.

First theirs my two sisters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/AmberLynn/tyamstephy.jpg

(L to R- Me 14, Tylene 25, Stephanie 19)

One of my good friends is named Tyleen. (Spelled a little different.) That's only the second time I've heard that name.

Karen
11-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Paul came to mind first, but as he's part of Pet Talk, can I technically not count him? He's my best friend as well as my husband. I knew him before Pet Talk existed, so can he count? Please? ;)

Then, yes, I re-read the description, and that would apply to my three siblings and a sister-in-law as well. We may be weird, but we're there for each other when it comes down to it. And when we can all get together, we can cover 4 parts singing, too.

There are a couple other people that are friends to which the description would also apply, even if we're not quite as in touch as we once were, due to our busy lives, I know if I needed them, they'd be there.

Yes, I am blessed. And thankful.

slick
11-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Wow, I can't believe all the responses. When I started this thread I was a little concerned. For those of us who do not have that one true friend close by, there is no need to feel bad about it. Perhaps that true friend just hasn't crossed our paths yet. I still feel blessed that I have "casual friends" in my life. They make me laugh and they comfort me if I reach out to them. Life isn't so bad after all. :)

popcornbird
11-14-2004, 08:03 PM
My family...my mom, dad, brother, and other relatives. We are a very close family and will always be there for each other no matter what. My mom, dad, and brother are my 'best friends'.

I do, however, have two very close friends (out of the family) that I've known since we were toddlers and basically grew up with. We see each other quite often....1 at least once a week (sometimes several times a week), and the other, about 2 times a month or so. We try to call each other almost everyday. I know that if I ever needed someone, a shoulder to cry on, help for anything, whatever, those two friends would always be there for me. I too, would always be there for them. While we are very close, sadly, with school, etc. sometimes our lives occupy us more than we'd like, and there are times when we don't hear from each other for awhile. Still, I know the 'feeling' is there, and if I ever needed them, I know they would leave everything and be there for me. I don't have too many 'close friends', so those two mean the world to me.

Uabassoon
11-14-2004, 08:08 PM
My best friend is Emma, I know she will always be there for me. On the few occasions where I've called at 3 a.m. she's actually shown up at my house to come cheer me up. Honestly I'm not ever sure I'd be willing to get out of bed at 3 a.m. Anytime I've ever had a problem she's always been there for me.

lisalee
11-14-2004, 08:20 PM
My boyfriend is my best friend. We've been together 15 years now and I'm truly grateful to have him. He's just a wonderful person and we get along so well. Sash is my other best friend.:)

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2004, 09:09 PM
The people I depend on most is my family...my husband, my parents and my sister (and my brother too), but they are all part of PT (except my brother)

Outside of my family, my best friend, Amber I have known since I was about 10 years old. She lives in St. Louis now, with her husband and his 3 sons, so we don't get to see each other as often anymore, but when we do talk, we don'tmiss a beat. I am going to see her (finally!) next weekend, and very excited!

Another good friend from high school, Angela, still lives in Findlay, though we don't talk as much anymore. Still, I am fairly condfident if something came up, and I needed her, she'd be there. I hadn't talked to her in a few months last May, but when I called and left her a voice mail that Amber's grandpa died, she was at the funeral home, and the threeofus picked up where we left off.

Another good friend, Carla, was my roommate incollege. We kinda lost touch after we both got married, but Ihave begun emailing her again, and we are tryng to get together soon. I have not seen her since my brother's college graduation 3 years ago.

This is Amber (L) and Angela (R) at my wedding

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/pd14155afab5289046f140bc228e856e3/fac67b51.jpg

christa
11-14-2004, 09:25 PM
My two best friends . . . my husband and my mom! :)

Katiesmom
11-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Nope don't have close or casual friends! I have my husband who is my best friend but I need a womans friendship as well...and thats something I don't have close or casual. When I want to go shopping or out to eat luch or something I do it by myself because there is no one...*wishes that friend would hurry up and come around* but I'm still a happy person no matter if I have friends or not but it would be nice. My husband is great I can't complain but sometimes I just need you know a females friendship. I pretty much lost my friends when I got married and had a child, so was they really my friends in the first place? :)

NoahsMommy
11-14-2004, 10:37 PM
What a happy thread. :) I've always felt that friends are the family you choose for yourself.

I do have some very wonderful people as my friends outside PT.

First, there's CiCi. I met her working at the vet clinic and I'm so glad. She's the type of person who's always, always there for you. She spent the day with me and took me home during my last hospital visit and came with me during some of my iron treatments. She's the type of person who is honest when she needs to be and always, always kind. We have different beliefs and outlooks on a lot of things, but respect each other and listen to each other. I think CiCi is the best friend I've ever had. :)

Next, there's Susie. She's my cats vet and regardless of how crazy with my kitties I am, she never lets on that I am. She's there for me and when we're together I've never had more fun with another person, ever. She's kind and sweet and always can make me laugh. She's wonderful. :)

Dana is someone I've been friends with for many years. We lost touch a bit, but are now talking again. No matter what's going on in our lives, if we get busy, whatever, we can always slip back into our friendship. She's the type of person who is a caregiver. Always thinking of those before herself. She's a genuine sweetheart.

My mom is probably my best friend. I love her to death and can't imagine life without her. With her being in Florida these past months has been horrible. She always has my best interests in mind, even if I don't want to hear it. We're so much alike, and that makes me proud. Gosh, I love that woman. :)

I'm not allowed to say Karen (wolflady), because I met her on PT. But I love her to pieces too. We have so much in common and always have fun together.

A somewhat new friend is Katy. I have a feeling we'll be friends for a very long time. She's someone who you can tell cares about others a great deal. She's sweet and fun and I hope we'll always be friends.

I don't have a very large family, so my friends mean so much to me.

CamCamPup33
11-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
One of my good friends is named Tyleen. (Spelled a little different.) That's only the second time I've heard that name.

Yeah, it's not very common. :p

DJFyrewolf36
11-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Crud...my mom joined PT so she doesn't count now...lol J/K

Mom has been a rock for me all my life. I can talk to her about ANYTHING and she will never get mad at me. Sometimes she will get upset but she is always good about explaining why unlike some parents who just get POed and yell. She is the only one in my family *Still and its been a year* to support my marrage. It's tough having a whole family hate your life partner, and I am very greatful that mom understands.

And of course, my husband is my best friend. Once when we first started dating, my dad got all upset and started to yell and scream and I walked out. It was about 3 am and I just showed up on John's door and he let me in. Let me cry on him until sunrise too :D. He is the most understanding person I have ever met. He has gotten me through a lot of difficult things. I won't lie and say our relationship has been perfect but we've survived things that most couples would devorce over and I am very proud of that. :D I love him so much, and it seems as if we've always been together.

primabella
11-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Yep, my best friend Josie. I've known her since the first grade and she is amazing. We've been through so much together and we've always been there for eachother. I don't know what I'd do without her. :)