PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose the breed/dog you did?

molucass
11-13-2004, 01:22 PM
I just thought this would be interesting to find out why you chose the dogs that you have. Whether you bought a purebred from a breeder, or you went and picked out your kids from the shelter (or they picked you :D ).

I would have never even known about Annie if it hadn't been for me going to the ladies house to rescue Annie's half sister. The dog was pregnant and she said that her husband said he was going to shoot her if she couldn't find a home for her, so I went over there and got her.. The lady was holding Annie when she came out to meet me when I got there, and I asked her if she wanted to find a home for her too... She said "No, we are going to keep her but if I ever decide we don't want her anymore, I'll give you a call." Well exactly 3 weeks to the day after I took the other dog in, I got a call that she wanted to come see the puppies and she also said that they didn't want Annie anymore (at the time I first saw her she was "little and cute" but when I got her she was about 3 mos. old and she wasn't tiny anymore so they decided they no longer wanted her.) I am really glad that I did go to rescue the other dog because Annie is my baby and I couldn't imagine life without her. I feel like it was fate for me to go and see Baby, and then to wind up getting Annie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/molucass/my%20pets/baby1.jpg
This is the dog I went and rescued originally (who has found a wonderful home!). She is a pug/boxer mix.

Annie is 1/2 pug, 1/2 dachshund.

Bailee was the result of an accidental litter between Annie and my moms friends double dapple dachshund that we were babysitting.. Both her and Annie are spayed now, so theres no chance of anymore accidents.
She's 3/4 dachshund, and 1/4 pug.

About a month or so after Felony passed away I really wanted to find another dog that was med. sized, but I could never find the right one. It didn't matter to me what breed he or she was. But I was looking on the local on-line classifieds one day and came across a boston terrier/pit bull mix and contacted his owners to see if they still had him... Well thankfully they did, and after waiting a couple of weeks for everything to get straightened out, I finally was able to get him.

Samantha Puppy
11-13-2004, 01:28 PM
I didn't pick Samantha... she picked me! :)

binka_nugget
11-13-2004, 01:31 PM
My mom chose a Sheltie as our first dog (I was dead set on a Border though). She contacted a breeder and luckily, he still had 2 available sables left. We had to wait about two weeks (he was busy with shows) and then we drove up 4 hours to see the remaining pups. There were 3 sable pups in an x-pen. Kai, his brother and a reserved pup. We chose Kai because the other available one was terrified of us and I remembered that Shelties tend to be more reserved so I figured it was best if we went with the more outgoing one.

I found Kaedyn at the Vancouver Animal Shelter on my first day as a volunteer dog walker. He was the second dog I saw that day, and I knew it was love right away. :D He was very quiet and had his head down low. I wanted to give the sad guy a happy life so I called my mom and we filled out the paper work right away.

Kfamr
11-13-2004, 01:39 PM
I didn't choose them, they chose me. :)

dogs_4_me
11-13-2004, 01:40 PM
My dad and I were looking for a Lab, but I've always wanted a Golden. We went to Pet expo and saw a beautiful Golden named Julien that was there with the breeder.Dad started talking to the breeder and we ended up going to see the pups. There were three left, Emma, her sister, and a pup that was going home that day. Emma was the laid back one, she was so cute! lol, three weeks later we picked up Emma and she came home with us.

When we got Moco we were just coming out of a movie theatre. My mom and I went to go see My Dog Skip. For some reason the movie reminded us of our old dog Benji. Anyways we were both crying through the whole movie! There was a Pet store right beside the theatre so we went inside and saw Moco....we later found out that all the dogs from that Pet store were from a puppy mill:(

prechrswife
11-13-2004, 02:30 PM
We chose bassets because my husband and I both like large dogs, but we did not feel that we could take on "full-sized" dogs. (Being in the ministry, you do not always have your choice, for example, of the kind of fence around the back yard of a parsonage, etc.) Bassets are large dogs with short legs. They have that laid-back "big dog" personality. Honestly, I don't think a dog can get much more laid-back than a basset.:)

lute
11-13-2004, 02:38 PM
i got Beanie after my yorkie died. my family and i went to the local shelters and the moment my parents saw him said "OMG it's a pomerainian! we're takin him home!" he ended up lovin us too!:D

primabella
11-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I always wanted a dog with a herding dog look because I loved it and really loved Collies. When I found out about the Sheltie, I researched on it and found out it would fit perfectly into our lifestyle. I didn't want to get too large a dog as they'd be too big for our house (which wouldn't be fair for the dog to begin with) and I didn't want anything that required too much energy because I wouldn't be able to provide for it, etc.

I guess what initially drove me to the breed was its look and then learning about its charactar got me stuck on them. :) As for which dog to choose, well Mickey teased us by sticking his tongue out at us. So as payback, we brought him home. ;)

DogLover9501
11-13-2004, 03:28 PM
I didn't chose the smaller pups, my mom likes small breeds, she likes cockers, yorkies and shih-tzu's the most, and she went with shih-tzu's(obviously :p).

I chose a Boxer because I just fell in love with the breed, I don't even know how it happened because Ive never even met one at the time, but I think they are so gorgeous and I love their personality and just everything really, I talked to alot of Boxer owners and read lots of books first though, just to make sure!

I loved Rottweilers way before Boxers, but my mom didn't want anything to do with that idea :o :(

Amber
11-13-2004, 04:23 PM
We really don't have a reason why we chose Katie. Katie was the only puppy at the pet store, and we decided to get her. Not knowing her breed info, she turned out great. :)

I chose the miniture schnauzer because it had alot to do with katie. Katie is half MS and we wanted a dog just like katie. I decided to get Elvis because he got my attention, i couldn't take my eyes off him. :)

Chilli
11-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, Same with most people, Frisk-man (the pug/rat terrier mix) chose me :D I had a choice of all these purebred dogs (like beagles and cockers), but Frisk-man just basically attacked me :eek: lol, I love mutts :D

We don't know why we chose Ethan (The whippet mix), actually, mum chose him. I think it was because no one would adopt him because he was so timid and was being hard to potty train. I guess mum felt sorry for him. :D

chocolatepuppy
11-13-2004, 05:26 PM
Two times I went to the shelter to get a shepard/collie mix. I came back with Lacey and Mandy! It didn't really matter what kind of dog I got, they just sort of 'called out' to me somehow. :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-13-2004, 06:07 PM
We got Blaze from a breeder, and wanted a Border Collie because we knew what their personality was and about them since we had had a previous Border and loved them a lot!! When we went to pick out a puppy out of 7 or so, Blaze was the first puppy that came whining up to me and begged me to hold him!! I couldn't not have this adorable puppy--and what a coincidence--he looked almost exactly like our last Border Collie, Bandit! So Blaze really picked me also!:D But yes, Border Collies will always have a special place in my heart, especially my buddies, Bandit and Blazer!;)

GraciesMommy
11-13-2004, 06:19 PM
We were actually looking for a yorkie or maltese...and went to a pet store (bad idea I know..I have learned so much since then, so don't fuss) because the sign said yorkies. They were out of yorkies but had 2 yorkiepoos..Gracie and her brother...I just wanted to hold her for a minute..and ended up going back 3 times that week holding her every time and just couldn't not buy her. She was 9 weeks old, 3 pounds and the cutest little thing. My husband kept telling me I wouldn't be happy with her because she wasn't an AKC yorkshire terrier, but she was so darn loveable and those eyes just melted my heart..so I took her home July 31.

Since then.....I realize I paid WAY too much for her, shouldn't have taken her at 9 weeks (socialization period) shouldn't have even stepped foot in a pet store looking for a pet...I have since learned about puppy mills, back yard breeders, rescue sites, etc. BUT I am so thrilled to have my Gracie...and if I HAD known all these things beforehand she wouldn't be in my life..

But I am still learning...

guster girl
11-13-2004, 09:02 PM
My ex and I were just drivng to office max and there was a sign for "retriever puppies" on the side of the road, right in front of a chik fil a. Definitely not the ideal place to get puppies, but, I wanted to see how they were being handled and how knowledgable the lady was. She was super nice, the puppies were all healthy looking and very nice tempered. She had a permit to sell them there, and, I fell in love with Finn's coloring. It was a little chilly outside, and, I held him in my sweatshirt while Chris played with some of the others. They were all sweet, but, Finn was the only reddish colored one. I would have liked one of his little yellow sisters, too, but, we could really only get one. Finn won us both over. So, we went to Office Max, and, went back and got him. :) And, now, nine months later....he's my salvation! :)

cyber-sibes
11-13-2004, 10:14 PM
We talked about getting a dog and what kind, and I have always wanted a Siberian Husky. I knew the dog would be outside alot and wanted one that was "weather-proof" for our climate, so a huskie seemed like a good choice. I've since come to love all the huskie traits! They're very cat-like, and I had owned & loved cats for twenty-five years. Star came from a "backyard breeder" (I didn't know anything about how to buy a dog then), and she pretty much picked us. 4 years later we took Star to the humane society about four times to get a second dog. (Star really wanted a kitten, she kept hanging out by their cages and let them play with her ears:D ) But I fell in love with Rosie the first time I saw her. We were drawn to each other like magnets! We went to NW Siberian Rescue to look for another husky, but didn't have much luck, ended up driving three hours to see Sherman at a terrific Siberian breeder. He & Star really seemed to like each other right off the bat, and we really feel blessed to have him!

K9karen
11-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Got Cody on a very sudden whim..a friend was on the phone with her niece whose GR had pups and I just yelled save me one! When I went to pick one from the litter, they were all asleep in their welping pen and I said "Come here puppy" and Cody just got up and tumbled over to me and that was it. Turns out he was 1/2 Golden Lab but it wouldn't have made any difference in the world what he was.
With Logan, I went from cage to cage at the SPCA saying hello and "sit" just for fun, and she was the only one that did. But I kept walking, but couldn't get her out of my mind (the eyes had it). I believe she chose ME because she was so well behaved, as if to please out of desperation! Turns out, her 2 weeks were up in a day! We just instantly bonded. It was a strange, wonderful, endearing feeling that I can't explain.Thank you Logan, my sweetie. Oh, and breed was not an issue.

swimma253
11-14-2004, 07:08 AM
We didnt pick Meeka, she decided she wanted to live with us! :D

I am feeling to lazy to type out the whole story so you can read it here: Meekas Story (http://www.webspawner.com/users/meeka1/index.html)

:)

Carly

cloverfdx
11-14-2004, 09:25 AM
Out of the 4 we only realy "Chose" 2, Elvis and Theodore. Mum had always loved Chihuahua's and for some stupid reaso i wet into the pet store and what did they have 2 Chihuhua pups for sale, Theo was the more out going of the 2 so that was that, he is the first and most definatly last Pet store puppy i will "Ever" have.

With Elvis i was saving up for a Border Collie puppy, i wanted a dog i could be more competitive in dog sports with and it came down to a Border Collie, Border Terrier, Kelpie or Koolie i chose the Border Collie ;). I dont think i will ever be with out a BC again, but from not such strong working background next time ;).

Clover chose me, and Penny we had no choice as the other pups had be claimed. :D

BCBlondie
11-14-2004, 12:23 PM
When I first moved to America, my mom, my younger brother, and I lived with this guy for a few months and he had this suuuuper sweet Malamute mix. Ever since that dog, I've been totally in love with dogs! So when my mom and stepdad married, I begged for a dog of my own, and my dad decided on the Sheltie. I've been a herding dog nut ever since! :D

I guess you could say that Megan chose me. My aunt gave her and her sister to us, but I REALLYYYY wanted a BC or Aussie at the time. Megan grew more and more attached to me and now we're inseperable. I love my girl so very much and I can't imagine life without her now. :) Plus, it's nice having a small (or I guess you could say portable :D hehe) dog, that I can take with me anywhere and everywhere.

RottiMommy49
11-15-2004, 05:00 AM
I have owned many breeds of dogs throughout my life from mutts to cocker spaniels, shitsu's. scotty's, etc. I fell in love with Rotti's after meeting my friends male rott. He came over to me, flopped on my lap and slung his big head back and started licking my face.
From then on it's been nothing but Rotti's for us. However we are tossing around getting a Mastif someday. but will always still have Rotti's.

Doggy hugs
Deb, Monty and Kiki

Love My Rotti's
Rescue is Awesome...The Greatest Reward Is The Love You Get Back From The Love You Give!
Mommy To Monty & Kiki

Mommy & Daddy Miss You Terribly Nikita...Always In Our Hearts Baby.

kimboe
11-15-2004, 09:07 AM
I was looking for a chocolate lab, But went to the spca and saw Camen he was so cute! I was going to get him, but some one else adopted him minutes before I could. So a week later I went back and I couldn't believe it he was back in there, The lady who adopted him realised that he was just to big to feed and had too much energy for her. So I took him home with me. And we live happily ever after!:)

Smilla
11-15-2004, 10:28 AM
The truth is, I barely noticed Lefty when we went to the shelter. We'd gone there to look at 2 other dogs, but didn't feel a connection with either of them. I was sitting on the couch in the waiting room feeling a little depressed when one of the workers said, "Hmm, I wonder if you'd like Lefty; would you like me to bring him out?" I said why not. She brought him out and the first thing I asked was, "Why is he striped?" :)

He seemed calm but curious. We took him for a short walk, he behaved well and didn't freak out when we passed other dogs, and we threw caution to the wind and took him home. We often joke that we were willing to take the first dog the shelter threw at us--the truth is, we wouldn't have chosen him on looks alone, as frankly he's a little homely--but I feel very lucky that we ended up with him. :)

FizzGiggs_Mommy
11-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
I didn't pick Samantha... she picked me! :)

Ditto! All of my boys found me

Tonya
11-15-2004, 11:42 AM
My most memorable childhood dog was Christy, an alaskan malmute-timberwolf cross. I set out to find a dog that looked and acted just like her. I didn't make it far. hehe.

Dusty was at the pound. His name was Ajax. He was laying all depressed and quiet in his cage. He had a tail like Christy but the australian markings. To be honest, he was soooo ugly at the time. He needed to be brushed sooo bad. Anyways, when we got him outside, he was estatic. He was so happy and cheery that I couldn't leave him there. He needed to come home. So, I brought Dusty home and Mike said "That doesn't look like Christy!" haha. Oh well.

When we put Rosco to sleep, Dusty was devastated. I was hurting myself, and I couldn't stand to see Dusty's pain. I think it was only a few days after that I went out and got Roxy. Roxy was named ChaCha and she was on www.norsled.org. Her eyes are the only thing similar to Christy, but it was love at first sight. Her personality is a little more similar to Christy, but she's dominant. Christy would roll over for a hamster she was so gentle.

Oh! I forgot Sarah! I work for the phone company and I fixed the lines at a house of a Pom breeder. Mike had always talked about Poms because his mom had one but I'd never been around them. It was love at first sight. I kept in touch with her for a while, waiting for the perfect litter. After a while, I realized she was a crappy breeder, so I didn't want to buy from her. But that's what got me hooked on poms.

A lady told me about a bad breeder that was getting shut down. She had so many days to get the dogs out of her house. I went there and it was the most unbelievable disgusting conditions I'd ever seen. I wanted to take them all home. She had Yorkies, Poms, and Dobies there. My brother was fake growling and tiny Sarah came up and started barking and snarling at him. I thought it was hilarious that she was so fiesty so I took her home. (Yeah, I'm an idiot...I've now come to realize that very thing is her worse trait.)

ParNone
11-15-2004, 12:10 PM
I always move toward something if it feels right, then if it comes about, I figure it was meant to be. I've done that with all 4 dogs. They didn't pick me. I picked them, cuz they felt right. Murph and now Gully turned out to be a lil' more work as puppies. But I look at it as a test from God and to stick with'em. And look what happened, Murph turned out to be one fantastic lil' dog and Gully's rapidly on his way towards it.

Maddie and Oz were both dream dogs from the beginning. Funny, when I chose Maddie, my friend tried to talk me out of it. She liked one of the males in the litter better, but I had my heart set on lil' girl. I went with my first instinct, thank goodness.

When I set out to get a Collie, I was going to get a girl again and low and behold I ended up with Oz. My mom told me I was making a mistake. Boy, was she wrong and admits it too. She's just enthralled with Oz. So far, *knock on wood*, I'm batting 1000 where dogs are concerned. ;)

Anyway I initially chose Cairns, cuz of their fun loving attitudes and Collies, cuz of their ease of training. All 4 have lived up to the breed traits I chose them for.

Par...

CamCamPup33
11-15-2004, 04:31 PM
I went into the pet store to get fish gravel, and saw this tiny ball of caramel colored fluff in the corner of the caged window. I took her out, and she was just so mellow. She would pounce on the ball as we threw it, and etc... We went into the pet store many times before, just to look around, and never once my mom said, did she "Fall in love" with any of the puppies. The moment she held cami, she knew she had to have her.

:)

I don't agree with buying at pet stores though, i've since learned better.

Becki
11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
DH loved Westies and had a friend that bred them, which is how McTavish came to our house.

We knew Murphy's owner. We were told they were going to shoot him if someone didn't take him that day, so we got Murph.

We reserached and researched breeds after that and felt that greyhounds best fit our household. Max is a grey cross and Axel is a grey. Their temperments are much more matched with our household than the terriers, I have to say.

Canis Amicus
11-16-2004, 02:54 AM
I always loved GSDs, and I knew Rex since I came to live in this neighborhood, I fell in love with him; his first owner neglected him, he used to let Rex whole day locked in his parked car, and poor Rex barked all day long to passer by dogs! That broke my heart. That man moved and left Rex behind with a neighbor, who was not better than the first owner.

Last April, I adopted Rex from that second owner (I posted the whole story).

Now, he is very spoiled, I even carry him in my arms!

I simply love him and I am sure he knows he is loved and gives me his love in return.

stacwase
11-18-2004, 07:05 AM
Jake was our first dog. We didn't really have any experience with dogs, and we had heard that shelties were fast learners and great with kids. Our kids were young at the time, so we went to a breeder and got Jake. We had him for 8 years and he was just so quiet and withdrawn. He was sweet and we loved him.

We got Max from a shelter. We were looking for a big, gentle dog who looked scary but was a teddy bear at heart. We found Max! He was tied out behind the shelter, and this little girl who was volunteering there with her mom walked right up to him with this teensy tiny little puppy on her shoulder. He was so gentle with her and the puppy. Then I asked if I could take him for a "test walk." I had him on the leash when he saw a truck in the parking lot with it's door open. He pulled me right off my feet and jumped in that truck! We just had to have him. We've bonded so closely. He's got so much character and we just love him to death.

mruffruff
11-18-2004, 08:05 AM
My first dog was an Australian Terrier, Rusty. He looked like a bigger version of a yorkie, with shorter hair. That began my love affair with dogs. He went to the Rainbow Bridge two years later.

Ted E. Bear was being sold at the flea market. (13 years ago I wasn't as smart as I am now). He was a black ball of fur that didn't seem to be concerned about anything that was going on around him. He's a Shih Tsu/Poodle mix and is now 13 1/2 years old.

Scruffy was a 3 month old white fluff ball that was left at the shelter. I decided to foster him until his broken pelvis healed. Twelve years later, he's still here--minus one leg. He looks like a shrunken Bearded Collie.

Samson was also left at the shelter. He was extremely thin, had no hair on his lower back, broken teeth, a fatty tumor on his back and scared of everything. Today he's got hair, no tumor, and is only slightly afraid of other people. He weighs about 55# and is part Hound, part shepherd and looks just like Duke. He's been here 5 years.

Bella was a new mom who was wandering a rural area. She and her pups were rescued and the pups adopted. Bella was deemed 'mean' when she grumbled at a man at the shelter. She's a black Chow/Lab mix so she looks mean but is a Lab inside. Another foster failure since she's been here 3 years.

Mary

BitsyNaceyDog
11-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Justin and I wanted a dog first thing when we got married, but we were going to live with his parents for an unknown amount of time until we found a house. They said we could get a dog, but it had to be a small one. That was fine with me because I was in love with poms. They are such a fun breed, and so pretty. I love their fluffy fur. 2 days before our wedding Justin surprised me by finding a pomeranian breeder and took me to pick out a puppy. All the puppies were so precious, but Bitsy was the one to come right over to me and climb up into my lap.

We only lived with Justin's parents for 3 months before getting our own house. When we moved Bitsy seemed to miss Freckles, Justin's sisters dog. We took her all the time to their house to play with him, but it wasn't the same. 4 months after we got our house we decided to get a second dog. All we knew was that we wanted someone close to Bitsy's size. My friend knew a lady who needed to find a home for her daughters 2 year old min pin (Charlie). We took Bitsy to meet him and they got along great, so we took him home.

4 months after we got Charlie we got Buster. We weren't looking to get a third dog, but he needed us. A lady I met had 2 chihuahuas that were being abused by her adult grandson. The lady was going to live with her daughter in New Jersey (to get away from her grandson) and couldn't take the dogs. Her son took one, but she didn't have a place for Buster. So Justin and I decided to take him. I had never been interested in chihuahuas before then.

We had the 3 of them for 3 years before Nacey came into our lives. I did not like pugs at all before I met NayNay. They are all so bull-headed, I was just never into them. It's a long story, but basically we were fostering her until she found a home. Well, we had her a few weeks and she found a home. We missed that crazy little girl so much once she was gone. A couple months went by and we got a phone call saying that she wasn't working out at her new home. We said that we wanted her back, for good. So now she is our bull-headed crazy little girl, and we wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Tina
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Well I was looking for a small dog at first actually a Chihuahua I believe. I was searching everywhere for one when I finally found a ad in the paper for Chihuhua/ Miniature Pinscher mix puppies. Yes I know bad, bad thing! Of course I didn't really know about BRB until I came here. When I seen Ginger I knew she had to be mine.

I wasn't really looking for another dog when I found Reggie. A private rescue here had some dachshund mix pups looking for homes. I decided to go and at least go see them. Well of course I fell in love with Reggie and brought her home.

LorraineO
11-18-2004, 11:48 AM
I have always LOVED the doberman breed and when I saw there were some available,, away we went ,,,,,,, but I have to admit,, Lucy picked out my son....... She wouldnt stop licking his socks,,,,,,, i know,,, weird,, but she loved his socks,,, :D :D :D

As for Merlin,, I saw his lil face on the Net on a rescue site and fell in love,,,,,

Scooby4
11-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Well as the mother of 4 dogs and a cat the stories run the gammit. The last 2 dogs adopted were at God's whimsy!
The cat is the oldest. She was adopted 10 years ago when a boss's cat had Kittens. Trying to kiss up for a raise I adopted one! That job is gone but my Cat is still here!!!
Scooby-Doo-Doo was Love at First Sight!!! I spent 2-3 MONTHS going to the local shelter for a dog. I had decided the size, the breed, and the sex I wanted. However, I could NOT find a dog. One day, I stopped in and me and Scooby met eyes across the bars!!! I was hooked! He is a Jack Russell/Beagle mix. He is short, fat, and a ball of energy. (He recently had a stroke but is still the same way!!!)
Shaggy was adopted to be Scooby's pet! I found Shaggy at the local Pet Store adoption day. He was shy and timid. We almost wrecked on the way home and he hit the dashboard! THEN he had to get fixed the NEXT day. I thought this dog would HATE me forever!!! He's as playful and wonderful!!!
Dirtnap was given to me. I had wanted a 3rd dog and was looking. My co-worker was having his mother move in with him and could not keep the dog. It is an Eskimo Spitz about 10 years older, mostly deaf, and has cataracts. He was a mess! It took a weekend to clean out his ears alone. Now he is playful and funny! He makes me smile just to look at him!!! Call him "Smiley Boy"!
Benji/Pooch is the recent adoptee. She is a Border Collie. My dad had rescued her. He found her wondering around homeless. He tried to find the owners but the number was disconnected. She had too much energy for my dad and the yard wasn't fenced.
My plans were to keep her until my brother could get her after he came back from Iraq. However, that did not happen. He couldn't keep her. Now I am fully adopting her.
Over the years, it seems like the animals find me. I wish I could open up a shelter of my own. Our city's shelter is too small. However, I now have a mentally disturbed neighbor threatening to remove my dogs. They ain't going nowhere!!!