PDA

View Full Version : Careers

petslover
11-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey ya'll!! I am doing a little survey thing. What kind of careers can you have without a college degree?

I am actually doing this for myself considering I am hating college. Thanks!

I know three of them are

UPS
Fedex
Post Office

anymore with good benefits? I know there is , but I can't seem to think of any. I'm mind blocked!

wolflady
11-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Gosh...nothing. Heck, it's even hard to find a job even with a degree! :rolleyes: Even I'm thinking that I need to get an MBA or Masters just to remain employed!! :eek:

Well, I do know of some....retail stores like Walmart, Target and grocery stores...but I doubt you would want to do that.

Perhaps...some admin assistant jobs might not require a college degree. Those would be alright.

Try to stick it out in college. Perhaps you're just in the wrong major? Look at other possibilities, but definitely don't sell yourself short. You'll be happy in the end, if you stick it out in college:)

**hugs**

teenster3
11-13-2004, 08:39 AM
I don't think there's anything WRONG with working in retail as long as you're happy with what you do.
I work as a Merchandiser in retail & I love what I do.
I get to set my own hours, move around throughout the day, talk to people, etc.
There are those days of course when I wish I didn't have to go but you'll have that any where you work.
I (personally) don't think you need a college degree to be successful in what you do in life! But, I've been told otherwise by some....that's just how I feel about it.
Tina

Tonya
11-13-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm a cable splicer for SBC. I make more money then most of my friends that have college degrees and I have great benefits. BUT I totally regret not going to college. If things ever get tough or I get layed off, I am screwed. My friends, if they got layed off from their jobs, they can find another since they have an education.

Karen
11-13-2004, 10:19 AM
There are many jobs requiring physical labor - cleaning, making beds, waiting tables - service kind of jobs that you can do without a college degree. But what's more important is that you decide what interests you, and what you want to do with your life, not just what kind of job you could get if you leave college.

As someone else said, maybe you are just at the wrong school for you, or have the wrong major. What year are you in? What program? What are you hoping to learn?

You didn't mention 4 options - Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines - they don't require a degree.

KYS
11-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Law enforcement such as highway patrol or police department.
Some Government jobs such as DMV, office techs, office
workers,Court clerk, Data processing, motor techs., legal secretaries, court reporting etc.

(when you want to go up the ladder, a college education
can help.)

GiantSchnauzer
11-13-2004, 11:35 AM
I decided college wasn't for me and am currently a FedEx driver. The pay I get now is much more than what I would have gotten as a vet tech. I think I'm better off now than if I had stayed in college. There's plenty of potential at FedEx and the benefits can't be beaten. I agree with Tina. I don't think you need a degree to be successful.

Stacey

petslover
11-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am deciding to stick in college for at least another semester.

If that don't work out, I will quit. I want to work in a post office so bad, but you have to take an exam and they hardly ever have that exam.

petslover
11-13-2004, 06:21 PM
oh yeah about the army, marines, etc. Those are great careers, and all, but I'm to lazy lol. They go through some hard stuff.