PDA

View Full Version : Bathing Kittens

mina'smomma
11-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Ok I've heard off and on throughout my time in here about bathing kittens. Is there any special way I can do that and what should I use and what is the process.

Any help would be great.

Jods
11-12-2004, 07:25 PM
you really shouldn't bathe a cat unless they are really soiled. If you HAVE to just go to the store and get kitten shampoo don't use human and I'd do it maybe in a smaller sink then the bathtub it be easier... Make sure after your finished to get all the soap off use a cup to rinse is necessary and dry her really well its easy for kittens to get sick. Good luck:)

christa
11-12-2004, 07:32 PM
We just bathed our 6 week old kitten. We treated him for fleas when we got him home from the shelter and he was covered in flea dirt . . . and he was very stinky!

You HAVE to get a shampoo that is safe for kittens. Your vet can get you some or a specialty pet store.

We bathed Brodie in the sink.

Before you start, put TWO TOWELS IN THE DRYER! Very important to keep the kitty warm once you get finished.

Fill the sink with luke warm water and put the kitty in it (hold on to it though)

Lather up your kitty with shampoo. But don't get it in the kitty's eyes!

Rinse your kitten off with clean water . . . using a cup . . . we even stuck Brodie under the faucet . . . some people use those gun sprayers.

As soon as the soap is off, get him in a dry towel!!! And just let it stay in that towel . . . your kitten will shiver & shake . . . but as long as it's in the towel, it will be warm . . . probably shaking from being scared!

And when that towel starts to cool down, put it in the next towel!!!

Keep your kitty in a room that is free of drafts until the kitty's dry.

Good luck . . . and be ready to hear some screaming! ;)

Randy_K
11-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Bathing a cat becomes easier over time as they get used to it. You do need to use a gentle shampoo and even conditioner but take your vets advice on the right product. And don't get their faces wet as that seems to be a real crime. Our dear departed Aby Squid used to love the hair dryer after his monthly bath but towels worked well too. He'd first be combed out after a light towel drying and you'd be amazed how much hair washed and combed out. The real benefit is far less hair gets ingested. Squid was so relaxed and felt so good after a bath.

catcrazylady
11-13-2004, 07:11 AM
I just used a gentle running faucet in the sink and did everything as quickly as possible. I never bathe kittens unless it is absolutely necessary but when you do the warm towels are a must! My dryer runs non stop trading off the two towels until the kitty is warm and dry.
If it's just one end that is causing problems you could always try Sirrahbeds famous "Buttbath". :eek: Do a search for buttbath and you will find a very detailed description with great photo instructions!!;) :D :D :D

catmandu
11-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Kittens,unless they are very dirty,should not be bathed,as the Little Ones,are so vulnerable,to drafts,and cold,and can catch colds,very easily.