PDA

View Full Version : xmas lights....

carole
11-12-2004, 01:05 PM
We have a competition running in our city, for the best lit up house, it is so neat to drive around at night and see these beautiful homes all lit up with their xmas lights.

My new neighbours across the road did their home up last night, it was really cool, flashing lights, very pretty.

The best display is at the Mormon Temple, everyone goes out to see them as they are quite spectacular.

Do you light your home up at xmas time, or have these type of events running in your town or city?

Logan
11-12-2004, 02:08 PM
We do some lights at Christmas, in the windows, and around our front door, but none yet! Although I have seen Christmas decorations at some houses already. Doesn't it seem that it is a bit early to you???

Samantha Puppy
11-12-2004, 02:15 PM
This is our first Christmas married, so it's our first Christmas in our new house together... so I have no idea what we'll do. Maybe not too much this year - I'd like candles in the windows but not sure how that'll work with two kittens in the house!

Tonya
11-12-2004, 02:46 PM
We normally go all out. We have big lighted Christmas trees for the front yard, moving lighted deer, a snowman, etc... Being pregnant and all, I'm pretty burned out though. I've been doing to much lately. I think I may take it easy this year.

mruffruff
11-12-2004, 02:56 PM
I always have a huge 3 ft wide wreath with tiny white lights and a red bow in the front window. No tree or other stuff because of the animals (6 cats, 4 dogs).

We do have areas that go all out. A few families that live next to each other will decorate their entire yards with cut-outs and lights, small buildings, entire villages, etc. There's always a line of cars on their street. When my granddaughter was small, we would plan to go to dinner and then cruise these neighborhoods to see the pretty lights.

Mary

catnapper
11-12-2004, 04:06 PM
We don't have anything like this, most people don't put much out.

Some year when we have money, I want to really do my outside nice. I want to do it like Peddler's Village. I try to get there once a season and walk around at night to look at the lights. Here's the link to them... the picture doesn;t nearly capture it, but its glorious to go there!LIGHTS (http://www.peddlersvillage.com/pages/grand_illumination.php?event_id=12)

carole
11-12-2004, 07:53 PM
The peddlers village looks so cute, I would love to have a santa and sleigh on my roof, and my doormers all lit up, my neighbours place looks pretty good with flashing lights, but some that go in for the competition are out of this world, really something to see, of course the temple is the best.

I have a few different coloured lights hanging on the verandah, but that is about it so far, hopefully i can gradually add a bit more as the years go by.

I love it when people go to so much trouble to beautify their homes for xmas, sadly I really cannot afford too much, but will buy lights when the sales come on.:)

Tonya
11-12-2004, 08:52 PM
We have a street here in Modesto called Christmas Tree Lane. That neighborhood has went above and beyond for years. I've went there every year since I was a little girl. We get hot cocoa and walk it.

Fox-Gal
11-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Thats one of those thing I miss sence I moved out here.........no lights. We are so far out that no one would see them so we don't bother any more. :(

Now the nearest town does it and there are some nice ones, theres one house every year they has cops out there to handle traffic because its so amazing. They even went so far as to ask him to not go so all out this year, sense last year the was a couple of car wrecks. :eek:

Killearn Kitties
11-13-2004, 11:18 AM
We don't have any competitions here, but there are a few people who decorate outside. Usually it's not a lot more than lights in an outside tree. I like to see lots of lights on those dark December days. It brightens the place up no end.

tomkatzid
11-13-2004, 12:01 PM
The lady across the street goes all out. Too much really. Looks like and ad for "sale on lights--EVERY KIND". Even ornimants on the outside trees. "Several" wreaths, one by ''all'' the windows.
We haven't put up lights for several years or a tree, since we are not home. But since my Mom passed away in May, we will have my Dad come here instead of us going to them. So for his sake and to make a more festive time, we will do lights and a tree and maybe pull out all the christmas decorations to set around the house.
Katz

carole
11-13-2004, 12:40 PM
There is actually a thousand dollar prize up for grabs, so people do make a real effort, but some people just decorate because they like to.

I just have a very simple strand of multi coloured lights across the verandah, but I want to get some icicle(sp) lights across the two doormers upstairs, they will look like lit up snow then, so that is my goal this year, to pick some up on sale, but for me that would be about it, and maybe a santa and sleigh on the roof, I don't like it overdone.

Uabassoon
11-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Since I live in an apartment I can't really do too much, but I do put lights up around the door. There is a subdivision here that every house is required to put up decorations. Because it's so popular during certain hours over the holidays people are allowed to stroll the neighborhood, no cars just walking. They even have horse drawn carriages on certain nights. It's so much fun to go walk around and look at the houses. There are always groups of people singing and it just makes the holiday season complete.

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2004, 12:54 PM
There was a neighborhood near where we lived in Chicago that was known for the holiday decorations. Including the house that had a Christmas tree growing right out the roof of the house! It was a tradition to walk or drive through it. Many of the nursing homes would bring van loads of people to see it.

I don't know what is done here. We did have a flier offering to outline our house in lights for a special discounted prices of $295!!!!!! I don't think so!

We brought a bunch of decoration but find there is no electrical outlet on the outside of the house.....

I have seen the town beginning to string lights on the palm trees...;)

Randy_K
11-13-2004, 02:52 PM
A friend of mine has relatives in Finland who, each time they come to visit, take Christmas lights back to Finland with them. The custom of decorating with lights isn't known there but caused a bit of a sensation in their town. They have the lights running on a transformer given that their electricity is 240 volts where the USA is running at 120 volts.

Cincy'sMom
11-13-2004, 03:16 PM
My parents next door neighbor's always have quite a display. we used to joke we lived next to the Griswald's (Christmas Vacation).

We don't do too much here. We do more decorating in the house (including two doors full of cards from PT!) then we do outside

GiantSchnauzer
11-13-2004, 11:06 PM
We decorate our house every year.

We don't go nuts like the 2 houses below. These people decorate like this every year. Actually, the whole area is pretty done up but not as much as these.

Saugus, MA 12/03

http://image18.webshots.com/19/7/37/76/216473776emRbWk_ph.jpg

http://image22.webshots.com/22/7/41/13/216474113UgOqzv_ph.jpg

slick
11-14-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm totally crushed. I'm in a highrise apt and I'm always the first one every year to have the Christmas Lights up and lit by the first week of November but this year, because of the renos going on, I haven't even brought up my Christmas boxes from the storage closet....and now someone on the first floor beat me to it. :p