PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance

csanchezveloso
11-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi again!!

Here's another question!

Does anyone on this thread have pet insurance? Does anyone know if it's worth it? Is it a scam?

I have the yearly visit for my two kitties next month and it is probably going to cost me around $300 for both. The pet insurance would reimburse me $150. Then again, the insurance itself would set me back $400/yr.

Any thoughts?

Glacier
11-12-2004, 12:51 PM
I know some people who have it. Be careful which policy you get. Some of them don't cover a lot of things. Most of them won't cover problems that are thought to be genetic and common to a breed. I can't find one that would cover a husky's eyes. I have a friend with a Golden Retriever who is always into something. The insurance has been worth it for her. With the number of animals I have, it's not worth it. I just take 100 bucks every paycheque and put it in a special "vet savings" account. Then I use that account only for vet expenses. It's worked out great in a couple emergency situations.

RedHedd
11-12-2004, 01:03 PM
I have pet insurance for my two and for now it's not doing a thing for me right now as it doesn't cover regular "maintenance" vet visits; just traumatic illness or injury. I pay about $20 a month for both cats. After going through cancer with my RB Goldie I figured the insurance was worth it if anything should happen to my current two.

csanchezveloso
11-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Well, I have to say i checked out petinsurance.com and they have your typical $12/mo insurance BUT they also have an additional $8/mo vaccination and routine care package. That package might make it worth it only because it reimburses you for your vet visits $20, $40 for shots.. etc..

something to consider. i haven't decided if I should sign up or not. It would really only be for peace of mind. I had one friend who just had her cat go through the urinary blockage surgery and she was hurting financially--i would never want to have to choose between money and the health of my kitties.

thanks for your everyone's insight..

sirrahbed
11-12-2004, 01:22 PM
I have been thinking about it but my cat population keeps increasing:rolleyes:

Craftlady
11-12-2004, 08:00 PM
I have the basic pet insurance plan for all three. It doesnt cover the shots etc but that is not why I have it . It's for serious illness etc. $100 deductible then it's 80/20 coverage. With all of RB Butterscotchs vet bills I was very happy to have the coverage and we got insurance money back from the claim. $10.65 first pet & $9.58 for each additional pet (per month) when you have 3 or more. It allows me to sleep well a night ;)

catmandu
11-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Like everything,you have to read,the fine print! In my mind,print,that small,should be illegal,as it is far too small,to see,even,with a magnifying Glass,and they have cheated us all,too long,with that tatic.I cant get Pet Insuarnce,as they will not cover,Cats,that are older than 8,when they really need it,the most.