PDA

View Full Version : Belly buttons

csanchezveloso
11-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know if cats have belly buttons? I would assume they do, but it was quite a shock when while playing with my little girl and discovered a hairless patch in a circular form.
Is that the belly button?
At first I panicked thinking they had burnt themselves on something and here was the proof...

Am i losing my mind?

sirrahbed
11-12-2004, 12:32 PM
:eek: Well they MUST have bellybuttons!! I never thought about it:D THIS is one for RICHARD.
oh RICHARD!!!

RedHedd
11-12-2004, 01:07 PM
One would think they have BB's, but they must get all covered in fur after their umbilicle cord drops off. Hmm .... I'm going to have to go searching under my two's furry bellies!

K & L
11-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by csanchezveloso
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know if cats have belly buttons? I would assume they do, but it was quite a shock when while playing with my little girl and discovered a hairless patch in a circular form.
Is that the belly button?
At first I panicked thinking they had burnt themselves on something and here was the proof...

Am i losing my mind?

Oh gosh I hope this isn't ringworm! I don't think cats have belly buttons!

Tonya
11-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I remember finding a belly button on one of my pets but it is vague. I can't even remember if it was one of my cats or dogs. I just remember thinking it was soooo cute. I have to go check now!

Chilli
11-12-2004, 01:38 PM
I thought I remembered Melani having a belly button while her tummy was shaved after getting fixed when she was a kitten.... hmm.... maybe I took a picture of it :D *searches through photo albums*

catfamily
11-12-2004, 02:04 PM
I would think only nipples and no belly buttons.If it is unusual looking,contact your vet and show them.Just in case it's something to be worried about.My KiKi had a round spot on his tummy,and that was cancer..but we removed it.Until he got Cancer on his jaw then we had to put him down.Or it could be ringworm like K&L said.

catnapper
11-12-2004, 03:25 PM
I woke poor Harry up to check him for a belly button. I didn't find one, but I seem to remember finding something faint on one of my boys a while ago and thinking "huh, that myst be their belly button"

Chilli
11-12-2004, 03:54 PM
I am almost certain that Melani has a belly button. I tried to look to see one now, but it resulted in me getting a few 'warning' nips from her ^___^ I also tried to look on Khaith, but he wouldn't sit still long enough.

Vermontcat
11-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Yes, cats do have belly buttons, they are just hard to see under all their fur.
Here is a link with more info...

Belly buttons (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_001a.html)

Unless your cat is an alien, it has a belly button.;)

Chilli
11-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Yay! So I'm not delirious after all! I was just so certain that I saw that Melani had one (and Khaith must have one too!). lol :D

kimlovescats
11-12-2004, 08:20 PM
How very interesting! I did know that they have umbilical cords, as I have witnessed kitten births ... but I really didn't think about the remains. Of course it isn't tied off and tucked like ours are .... but the nub leaves a little bump! ;)

K & L
11-13-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Vermontcat
Yes, cats do have belly buttons, they are just hard to see under all their fur.
Here is a link with more info...

Belly buttons (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_001a.html)

Unless your cat is an alien, it has a belly button.;)

Very interesting! Something I didn't know, nor even thought about!:D

Since this states the belly button is elongated rather than circular, I would be afraid maybe this could be something else like ringworm.:eek:

catmandu
11-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Since Cats,are Mammals,and are born,the way,that we are,it is logical,as Mr Spock would say,that they would have a Belly Button.

csanchezveloso
11-16-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks everyone!! i knew they HAD to have belly buttons but i wasn't sure since every cat owner I had asked didn't know... looks like we all know now.

I do have a yearly visit to the vet coming up and i'll make sure to have her check it out.

Thanks everyone!