PDA

View Full Version : A cat tour of England?

jenluckenbach
11-11-2004, 08:48 PM
There seems to be a good chance that Charlie and I might take a flight to England early next year to meet up with some friends. :D Killearn Kitties and Lynnestankard to name a few. I hope and pray to also include PayItForward and PaysForIt to that list of people :D

This is so exciting!

Now, I have no experience with booking flights, so I placed a thread in General asking for some advice.
Look here (http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63778) if know anything that could be helpful in getting the best price but also not caught in a trap that I might not expect.

Other than that, wish me luck that the trip goes off as planned. YIPPEE!!!! I have never flown over the ocean!

catnapper
11-11-2004, 09:25 PM
The best part? *I* get to spend time at the Luckenbach homestead and take care of all the Luckenbach kitties! Who's gonna have more fun? Jen in Enlgand or me in cat central?

Tonya
11-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Lucky for both of you two! How exciting!

K & L
11-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Sounds really fun. Can we come along too?;)

AmberLee
11-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Oh, how exciting!!! Have a blast!!!

Corinna
11-12-2004, 12:12 AM
You had better make sure you have a digi cam and send us updates so we can tour with you.

Barbara
11-12-2004, 02:38 AM
Wow! What an adventure! How exciting:)

Meeting Pet Talk people is sooooo much fun:D

catcrazylady
11-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Oh Jen that sounds so exciting!!! We will be waiting for all the details on when this great adventure is going to take place!

Catnapper Kim...You are going to be one lucky lady!!

catmandu
11-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Jen,I think,that a few Of The Found Cat Angels,will amke the trip,with you.And we do hope,that Your Cats,will not miss you,too much,and that You get,to see all those English cats!

Randy_K
11-13-2004, 01:13 AM
Last spring we went to Switzerland, France and Monaco for three weeks. While in Switzerland we met and spent a delightful day with some fellow Aby owners. Pet Talk regular Abycat Alice and her husband Magnus came from Sweden to meet us in Paris and then spent a week touring with us.

I know you'll have great fun. There's lots to see and do in England and they sort of speak English... Americans have the habit of referring to dark bread as "wheat" to somehow distinguish it from the content in white bread. When I was asked by a waiter in London what kind of bread I wanted with breakfast I said, "wheat." He said, "It's all made of wheat. Light or dark?" The worst part is that the dollar is really weak against every currency but the Indian rupee so anticipate "sticker shock" when you see the prices and translate it into dollars (£1.00 = $1.85). Airport security is tight but less intrusive than the TSA is here as they have had a lot more years of practice.

catfamily
11-13-2004, 01:22 AM
Sounds exciting.Have a wonderful and safe trip.And make sure you take your camera for us.:D

Randy_K
11-13-2004, 02:07 PM
I saw mention of a digicam earlier and thought I should relate an experience...

In May we had a flight from Nice, France to Zurich, Switzerland to catch our flight home. We checked in, went through security and then to the gate. While at the gate we were told the flight was cancelled and we needed to go back to ticketing. We got put on another flight (Nice to Paris to Los Angeles - forget about Zurich) and went back through security. Then an hour and a half later going from one terminal to another in Paris, back through security again.

When we got home the compact flash card in the camera was corrupted while those that were in their plastic storage boxes were fine. We had dumped the chips to CR-ROMs in Monaco using a friend's computer there but had taken a few more pictures while on the way to Nice - and those were lost.

A Radar engineer friend of mine said, "Of course." Multiple passes through x-ray can build up static under the right conditions and the body of the camera can intensify that static build-up. Evidently we found that ideal level to zap the chip contents while the other chips outside of the camera were OK.

Moral to the story: Take the media out of the camera before going through security.

Also, if you expect to be near a computer while traveling, take blank CD-ROMs with you and the connector cable (and any software needed - a COPY not the original!!!) so you can back up your pictures. We are glad we did... that card had 187 pictures on it and we lost just six of them.

QueenScoopalot
11-13-2004, 05:38 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun! Hope you find a reasonable ticket charge, and take lots of pictures. I hope you can visit Sweet Annie while there. Catnapper's planning on fun too it sounds like....those 'buried treasure hunts CAN be fun LOL! :rolleyes: :eek: :D