PDA

View Full Version : Eating string

Jods
11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Everytime Pixie finds a piece of string or fluff she tries to eat it along with hair and any type of material. I don't know how to stop her I"m nervous she's gonna get something when I'm not around and it will hurt her insides. I've had to pull string and fuzz out of her mouth like a hundred times. Should I be worried or will these types of materials pass through her system? Any help would be appreciated... Does this have to do with her sucking habit? Thanks in advance :)

kuhio98
11-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Definitely keep a watch on the string/yarn she's around. Friends had a kitty who chewed on thread and ended up impaling the needle in his mouth. She took the cat to the vet because it wasn't eating -- your mouth would hurt too if you had a needle in it! :(

I crochet and Kuhio used to try to eat bits of yarn. Once, I did not do a good job of cleaning up after myself and she ate a long piece. We noticed her having problems in the litter box. She had a piece of string sticking out of her. :eek: I had to get some paper towels and veeerrrrrry slowly, verrrrrry gentle pull the yarn through. We were very lucky that we did not hurt her because we've heard that this is very dangerous because pulling too quickly could cut the intestines.

Please be careful of the string/thread/yarn around. I'm not sure about bits of fluff. I haven't noticed that being a problem with our kitties.

Barbara
11-12-2004, 02:41 AM
Yes you should be worried. String can wind around intestines and may kill a cat!

Some years ago one of Efrat's cats (BTW she has not been here for quite some time :() ate her bra straps:rolleyes: and needed surgery. We were very happy when he recovered well!

moosmom
11-12-2004, 08:40 AM
My RB kitty Marina Mar ate some thread that was left on the floor after making cage curtains for an upcoming cat show. She kept scooting her butt on the floor. I took a looksie (eeeewwww!!) and saw a white thread sticking out. Knowing how dangerous this can be, I gently pulled till it stopped, snipped it off and ran her to the emergency vet. That little visit cost me $60. The vet told me that the thread could've gotten wrapped around her intestines and sliced them, causing her to bleed internally and die. She was very lucky. Now I'm very careful about what I let my cats play with. Only cat toys for my crew!!

QueenScoopalot
11-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Ditto on the danger! Sweet Pea got hold of a cassette tape some years ago, and was in the process of 'dining' on the tape! :eek: I managed to stop her in the act, and gently pulled the tape out. Best that it did not make it to her intestines where death could occur! :eek:

Jods
11-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Dear lord what do I do??????? How can I get her to stop????

Barbara
11-12-2004, 11:54 AM
After a certain time you will have learned not to have any string lying around. It's one of the things that grow habitual after a certain time. Like putting cold water in an empty pot and putting it on the stove as long as it is hot after cooking and like leaving doors open inside the apartment:D

Jods
11-12-2004, 12:32 PM
I don't leave string laying around she pulls it off the carpets, clothes, couches... I don't knit, sew or anything... She just finds bits of string and rips it off whatever it's attached to. That would be an easier solution though I kinda wish that that was the problem then I could just hide all my knitting or sewing things.

sirrahbed
11-12-2004, 12:36 PM
I am with you on this one Jods. My babies are always finding little bits of string and *stuff* from who knows where!!:eek: Sometimes I know it is off the edges of their cat tree and I have tried to trim it really well. It is like having babies again and guess we just have to keep our eyes out all the time!!! If there is something to be found, they WILL find it. They eat tissue, dryer fluff, etc. Seems like I am always pulling something out of their mouths!! It is a stage that will pass.

Jods
11-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Oh, I hope its a stage thanks for all the help everyone. I'm going to keep my eyes open extra wide LOL... These cats really keep us on our feet don't they.:)