PDA

View Full Version : Could I have some help with wording a card, please?

Miss Meow
11-11-2004, 05:59 PM
My co-worker's sister had a baby girl Wednesday but has had some awful news. The baby appears to be blind, deaf and mentally disabled and had surgery yesterday with more to come Sunday. My co-worker is too distraught to say much but the outlook isn't optimistic.

I want to drop flowers and a card off tonight from our team to say we are thinking of her and her family, but I can't quite say the right words. She is also a good friend so it's hard to write. Any help most appreciated.

Nomilynn
11-11-2004, 06:03 PM
"Take every blessing, no matter how small, as a new and different beginning. your family is in our prayers"

How about that? i would add more but I'm not sure if she's spiritual? Let me know! :)

lizbud
11-11-2004, 06:30 PM
I really think in this case (if it were my co-worker) I would
skip the card & flowers and just call or visit her & say what
you are feeling & then tell of prayers being said for her and her family.

Jods
11-11-2004, 06:35 PM
That sounds good! make sure you say congrats in it as well. I new a woman who had a child born with a disability and she said not one person told her congratulations, they all just wrote letters on how sorry they were and that they would pray for her and the baby. She was really upset about this because she accepted her son from the begining and wanted others to as well. Hope this helps.

QueenScoopalot
11-11-2004, 06:50 PM
That's a tough one, but the baby is still a blessing regardless of how she is. I'd congratulate her on her new baby, despite the disabilities. ;) Let's not forget Helen Keller, this baby may grow up to be a remarkable woman! ;) :) I'd send flowers, and the whole nine yards...this family needs support. :(

Tonya
11-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Jods
That sounds good! make sure you say congrats in it as well. I new a woman who had a child born with a disability and she said not one person told her congratulations, they all just wrote letters on how sorry they were and that they would pray for her and the baby. She was really upset about this because she accepted her son from the begining and wanted others to as well. Hope this helps.

That is an excellent point. I would try to treat this birth just as any other birth. It's a beautiful miracle no matter how difficult it may seem right now. I am horrible with words but I'd maybe acknowledge what is going on, but move on to congratulate them.

I think Nomilyn's thing was great... "Take every blessing, no matter how small, as a new and different beginning. your family is in our prayers"

Miss Meow
11-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Thank you :)

You're right about the congratulations part; she's still a little miracle regardless of the current circumstances :)

Karen
11-11-2004, 07:44 PM
As others have said, a baby is still a baby. Congratulate your friend on becoming an auntie, ask about hair color/quantity - all the normal things. Pink flowers are always nice for a baby girl - and for mom, too.

Some babies are born with heads full of hair
Some are born bald, but have love to spare
Some are great big, some are wee small
Some have lots of problems, some none at all
Some come in a hurry, some wait a little longer
But all babies have things in common the world over
We love them
We cherish these moments
We rejoice, new love is born
And we are forever changed

captain
11-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Karen,
That is beautiful.

Nicole,
Let us know how they are doing when you can .....

Miss Meow
11-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Karen, that's a beautiful poem :). It's funny, I missed your message but had bought pink roses for my friend - maybe it was ESP :)

Michelle, I found out today that the official diagnosis is CHARGE syndrome, which is a genetic disorder. The baby had surgery yesterday to correct her breathing problems so she can breathe on her own, but apparently the blindness and deafness are permanent. She also has other complications - it's a horrible disorder, I didn't know it existed until today. :(

captain
11-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Oh Nicole - I just looked up that syndrome on the Internet.

My hearts goes out to her .......

Miss Meow
11-14-2004, 10:20 PM
It's heartbreaking, isn't it. Bubs apparently has four of the major symptoms so she has a big battle to fight.

Tonya
11-15-2004, 11:32 AM
I will be praying for the baby and family. That sounds scary. :(