PDA

View Full Version : Do you feed your dog Canned Food?

sammy101
11-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Just wondering if you feed your dogs Canned food? We've fed all our dogs canned food.Kodie gets half a can,with like 3 cups of dry.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-11-2004, 06:01 PM
We fed RB Jesse canned food when she was pregnant but that's the only time we have ever had it in this house. Our dogs seem perfectly healthy with kibble, sometimes we mix green beans or carrots with it though.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Nope, we feed our Sadie dry food.:)

GoldenRetrLuver
11-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Rarely. They both usually just get it as a special treat every now and then. :)

sammy101
11-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Orangutango
We fed RB Jesse canned food when she was pregnant but that's the only time we have ever had it in this house. Our dogs seem perfectly healthy with kibble, sometimes we mix green beans or carrots with it though.

We'll mix vegetables with his food instead of canned also.He loves it too:)

guster girl
11-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Nah, I don't feed Finn dog food, and, if I did, canned would be fed very rarely.

PJ's Mom
11-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Never have, never will. They like their dry little kibbles. :)

BCBlondie
11-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Depends.

Megan gets canned C/D food, which she has to be on for the rest of her life to prevent crystals from forming in her urine again.. :(

The rest of the puppers get regular dog kibble. They get canned foor on special occasions though. :)

BCBlondie
11-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
Nah, I don't feed Finn dog food, and, if I did, canned would be fed very rarely.
What do you feed him if you don't feed him dog food?

Jamieejo85
11-11-2004, 07:46 PM
NOpe.both of our dogs get dry food
~Jamie

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by BCBlondie

I think he's on a raw food diet, I remember reading that somewhere.

Jamieejo85
11-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Orangutango
I think he's on a raw food diet, I remember reading that somewhere.

Sorry..this is probably a dumb question but what exactly do dogs eat when they are on a raw food diet? Sorry, but I don't know anything about a raw food diet and was just wondering...:D
~Jamie

dogs_4_me
11-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Jamieejo85
Sorry..this is probably a dumb question but what exactly do dogs eat when they are on a raw food diet? Sorry, but I don't know anything about a raw food diet and was just wondering...:D
~Jamie

There is alot of variety you can feed when on the raw food diet. Emma usually gets chicken necks, backs, and turkey necks.

binka_nugget
11-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Nope. After Kai had his surgury, I tried hiding his pills in wet food. He refused to eat it. Kaedyn didn't seem to like it either.

lovemyshiba
11-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Not really.

I fed it to Jada a little bit when I wanted her to gain some weight, and Kito used to get a little so he would eat--he's so picky!!!!

Two and a half years, four dogs--I think I may have purchased 10 cans of food in that time, if that.

guster girl
11-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by BCBlondie

Someone already answered this, but, he's been on the "prey model diet" since he was about 8 weeks old. I can't give him necks, though, because he doesn't even chew them. I have to give him something at least as big as his head. So, he gets whole chickens (or halves, or even as small as quarters). He also gets beef brisket or pork roast. I also give him a tiny bit of organ meat every day, and, an entire egg usually about once a week. He also gets fish (whole, preferably, but, I'll feed him canned, too, sometimes). I feed him whatever veggies I'm eating. Like tonight, I was using some frozen broccoli in my dinner, and, I just tossed him several chunks of it. He loved it frozen! :)

guster girl
11-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Jamieejo85
~Jamie

It's not a dumb question at all. I had done over a year's research before I got Finn and started feeding him raw. I answered your question, though, in response to the "what do you feed him if you don't feed him dog food?" post. So, just look one above this one! :)

swimma253
11-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Yes... Meeka gets a little mixed in with her dry food every day.:)

Originally posted by guster girl
Someone already answered this, but, he's been on the "prey model diet" since he was about 8 weeks old. I can't give him necks, though, because he doesn't even chew them. I have to give him something at least as big as his head. So, he gets whole chickens (or halves, or even as small as quarters). He also gets beef brisket or pork roast. I also give him a tiny bit of organ meat every day, and, an entire egg usually about once a week. He also gets fish (whole, preferably, but, I'll feed him canned, too, sometimes). I feed him whatever veggies I'm eating. Like tonight, I was using some frozen broccoli in my dinner, and, I just tossed him several chunks of it. He loved it frozen! :)

:eek: wow isnt that expensive?

kimlovescats
11-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Our doggies get dry only as well. The wet tends to give them the "runs"!:eek: ;)

guster girl
11-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by swimma253
Yes... Meeka gets a little mixed in with her dry food every day.:)

:eek: wow isnt that expensive?

Actually, it's cheaper than if I fed him dry dog food. I'd feed him good dry dog food, and, most of that costs more than a couple dollars a pound (at least, that's what I remember!). I don't spend more than a dollar a pound on the meat I buy for Finn. The chicken, if you buy it whole, is less than sixty cents a pound. I'd probably still feed him raw, even if it was more expensive, but, I actually spend less than someone who feeds good dry dog food.

cloverfdx
11-11-2004, 11:42 PM
C & E get tinned food VERY rarely. I have put them back onto raw food (Well vegies are cooked most of the time) about 3/4 of their food is raw again, and i also supplement it with a kibble (Bonnie working dog at the moment, untill i find something better). They also get sardines and Tuna, and an egg about 1-2 times a week.

Clover & Elvis are shocking on tinned food, they both become Hyperactive and get dull coats so i try to avoid it.

ramanth
11-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Kia gets dry food with safflower oil and oatmeal mixed in.

My parents feed Kia wet food more often than me (to spoil her ;) ), but once in great while I'll mix in some with her dry food as a treat.

Logan
11-12-2004, 08:48 AM
I split one can between four big dogs, once per day in order to make it easier for Murphy (and whoever else) to get her medication. Just that little bit also entices my Honey to eat her food faster so that her brother, Zipper, doesn't steal it! LOL!!! :)

Samantha Puppy
11-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Samantha has access to crunchies at all times, but gets a can of canned food for dinner every night.

pitc9
11-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Yes, they get canned food. Both were very underweight and just were not eating enough dry food to put a good amount of weight. So they get 2 big tablespoons of canned mixed in with their dry. Just enough to make it Yummy!!:D

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-12-2004, 04:17 PM
I don't usually feed Blaze canned food, but I am going to start to fatten him up a little for the winter!:D (he's pretty skinny being so active!)

Glacier
11-12-2004, 04:44 PM
I use it to hide pills in. Goldie gets a bit every day with her pill. Preacher gets his thyroid pill at night in it (the other one he gets in cheese). Sometimes if one of them hasn't been eating right or seems off, I'll try to tempt them with canned food. I find they can't resist the Eagle Holisitic Tuna & Shrimp flavor. IF they can resist it, off to the vet the next day cuz something is clearly wrong!