PDA

View Full Version : Update on Disney and her doggie Alzheimer's

jazzcat
11-11-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm taking her off the medication the vet prescribed because she is having severe allergies with lots of scratcing and itching and all attempts to stop it in case it's just from the leaves falling has not helped. Also she seems to be even harder of hearing and the vet told me today that both increased scratching and deafness are side effects of the drug.:( My vet now says about the only thing left to try is Science Diet B/D, brain diet. She says it has helped some dogs but not to expect a miracle. So now I have to keep Disney on allergy meds until I can get the allergies under control and then we'll start the brain diet.

Poor Disney is about to go insane from the itching and she has scratched several sore spots. She's miserable and because she's constantly scratching she's making us all miserable. I wished I could do more for her. I bathe her in Epi-Soothe, treat the sore spots with cortizone and giver her meds daily but she's can't stop scratching.:( Hopefully stopping this drug will help - and keeping the leaves raked up just in case.

The vet told me today it's really the beginning of the end and we'll just have to decide when she's too miserable and her quality of life has gone down. Depressing news.

tatsxxx11
11-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Oh Disney, sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so miserable:( Hopefully the new meds and the new food will help you feel better. We love you Disney. Maybe when you're feeling better, your Mom will post some new pics of you? I miss seeing your sweet face! Keeping you in my prayers. {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

Tonya
11-11-2004, 05:04 PM
I am sorry to hear that. I guess I've missed your other threads about Alzheimer's. Were the signs just like a humans? I remember my chidhood dog, Christy started seeming forgetful towards the last few years. She'd seem to forget who we were at times or where she was. She used to do her circle thing before she layed down, and then do it again like she'd forgotten she'd just done it. I wonder if she had it. My mom never really took our pets to the vet. I'll be praying for Disney. She's such a sweet dog.

jazzcat
11-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks Sandra and Tonya.

Tonya - the vet diagnosed her with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction which is basically Alzheimer's for dogs. She began several months ago being forgetful of daily routine things like where the door is or which way it opens. She walks into things, paces back and forth all the time. Some days she will eat, others she won't. She quit begging for people food which she has done all her life and she will go outside and just stand there like she forgot why she went. I often have to go out with her, walk her to the grass and push her back end down. Once I do that it's like she remembers to pee. It's so sad. Her hearing is getting worse but it seems like it's really gotten worse since she started the drug for her mind. She just doesn't have much of a life anymore. It breaks my heart.:(

Tonya
11-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Poor thing. It is so hard to watch our loved ones age. What you are describing sounds like Christy. For years, Christy used to lay in the front yard and greet the school kids. She was trained well and never stepped off of the property. Well after years of being the neighborhood lawn ornament, she started wandering away. We'd find her a few houses down looking confused. We had to start chaining her up. I think she lived another 4 years or so from when she first started showing signs.

tatsxxx11
11-11-2004, 05:39 PM
My heart is breaking:(:(:( Please give Disney a hug and kiss for me. It's the hardest thing we humans have to face, seeing our loved ones, skinned, furry, feathered, finned, shelled...grow old:(

PJ's Mom
11-11-2004, 05:56 PM
How sad. :(

She certainly is a pretty baby. Can you post some pictures of her, please? I'd love to see more of her. :)

4 Dog Mother
11-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Oh, poor Disney! I hope the itching stops soon. It is so hard when they are scratching and you can do nothing to make them feel better. I know how you feel with Disney - Oreo is doing pretty well for being 15 but sometimes if something wakes her she doesn't seem to know which end of the kennel she is in and keeps looking for me to open the door from the wrong end. (she is kenneled at night and when I am away as are all my dogs) It is so sad to see them growing older!!!

GraciesMommy
11-12-2004, 08:14 AM
I debated on whether posting this ...and I hope you know I am doing so for concern for you...
I have been there...Mercedes (age 16) had the dementia as well during her last year here..its a sad feeling when there is no comfort you can give them. With her, she whined almost non stop, even while I was holding her. The doc said most likely it was confusement..she got lost in the house, was deaf, cataracts, severe arthritis, ran into things, she always acted like she was looking for me...and I could be right there next to her..but she did have good days occasionally. And the vet told me if she were her baby she would pick a good day to let her go and that is what I did..I didnt want to have to make that choice on a day when she was at her worst. We had a good morning together..saying our good byes..it was THE hardest decision...but I knew that the good days were few and far between. I couldn't bear to know she was in so much pain both physically and mentally. We had wonderful wonderful years together..it still hurts and I cry as I type this...I hope you and Disney have more good days, but for both your sake and hers, listen to your heart and make the decision when you know its time and altho you will hurt terribly, know its the right thing and done out of pure love.
~hugs

Logan
11-12-2004, 08:40 AM
So sorry that the meds didn't help. I know that you realized that it might not help, but I certainly wasn't expecting the side effects that Disney has experienced. Our Murphy was already completely deaf when we tried the Anipryl, and she didn't have any of the skin issues as a result. It just didn't help her. :(

Watching them age is the pits. Last night, after the lights were out, she was panting and sort of frantic acting. She got up and I found her in our closet. She was disoriented. :(

Love her every day. That's all you can do, and when it is time, you will know. That's all we can do. Hope that Disney's skin issues will clear up and maybe, just maybe, the "Brain food" will help. Best of luck and many prayers are coming your way.

Logan

pitc9
11-12-2004, 09:43 AM
All you can do is make her comfortable, and enjoy each day you have! My heart just breaks for you.

My mom is going through the same thing with her 12 year old Pom/Poodle. She has diabetes, is blind and started having seizers two weeks ago. She now is on pills to control the seizers, and it seems to be helping, but even drugs only help for so long before something else goes wrong.

I heart goes out to you! We are all here for you whenever you needs

jazzcat
11-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Thank you all for sharing your stories with me. It's just so hard to see them get old but this kind of problem just makes it all the harder.

On top of this I am caring for my father who has the same problems.:( I'd like to say it's not fair to have my dad and my dog losing their minds but I know life isn't always fair.

Thanks for the support. I'll keep you posted.

CountryWolf07
11-12-2004, 12:39 PM
How old is Disney?

I am sorry about the news - keep her comfortable and happy. :) Always remember she is lucky to have you as a owner!

heinz57_79
11-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Prayers and good thoughts coming your way for both you and Disney. Hang in there, little girl! We;re all thinking about you!

I agree we need to see some pics tho. We don't see enough of the canine member of your family. ;)

jazzcat
11-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by CountryWolf07
How old is Disney?

Thanks, Disney is around 13 years old. I'm not certain because we adopted her from the shelter in early 1993 and they guessed her to be a year old but my vet thought she was between 1-2 years old.

kimlovescats
11-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Oh Lori, I did not know this about Disney. I am so very sad to hear this .... but she has certainly been blessed with a long life. I know you will know what is best and when to do what Disney needs. Just love her as you always have and enjoy every minute you can with her. You know I am here for you whenever you need!

I do hope that stopping the medication will make her more comforable .... itching is terrible!

Love,
Kim;)

shais_mom
11-12-2004, 11:54 PM
I am so sorry to hear this.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Gentle Hugs to all of you!