PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

guster girl
11-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Hey, all. Just wondering if anyone else loves this film the way I do. It's a disturbing film, that's why I put it in the dog house. I'm sure it's offensive to someone out there, so, I thought I'd be safer putting it in here. If you haven't seen it, and, you like dark, weird, moving, genius movies, you should watch it. Not only that, buy the soundtrack. I just added a quote from a song from the movie into my signature.....it fits so well with the film, it's just perfect. that doesn't usually happen with films. Anyway, let me know if you guys know and/or like the film. :)

guster girl
11-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Has anyone else even heard of this movie? :P

BCBlondie
11-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
I've heard of it but haven't seen it. I hear it's good.

dogs_4_me
11-11-2004, 09:09 PM

I've heard of it. I don't really want to see it though:p

guster girl
11-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by BCBlondie
I've heard of it but haven't seen it. I hear it's good.

If you don't mind twisted, dark movies, it's got to be one of the best out there. And, if you like 80's music, it has some great songs, too. And, they fit so well in the movie, I love it when that happens! :)

guster girl
11-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by dogs_4_me
I've heard of it. I don't really want to see it though:p

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. :) If you don't like dark movies, you wouldn't like it at all. It's really strange. But, to quote Beetlejuice "I myself am strange and unusual". ;)

leslie
11-13-2004, 01:05 AM
is it a new release? any awards or recognitions?

guster girl
11-13-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by leslie
is it a new release? any awards or recognitions?

It was released in 2001. It's a cult classic, for sure, but, I don't think it received any awards. Nothing big anyway, not sure if it received any independent awards. I remember it didn't do well in the box office, it's not a mainstream movie by any means. It's not as controversial as, say, Natural Born Killers, but, it's a strange little film. It's filmed beautfiully, and, I, personally think it's one of the sweetest movies ever. It's shrouded in darkness, yes, but, the heart of the movie beats in a really confused character who just doesn't want to be alone. It's got some incredibly funny parts, too. Oh, man, there's a dinner scene that's hysterical (between Donnie and his sisters and parents) and a conversation between three friends about whether the Smurfs are asexual or not. It's genius. Ha ha. At least, in my mind. ;)

guster girl
11-13-2004, 05:32 AM
Ok, here's the response of Donnie's to his friends talking about the, um....relationships between Smurfette and all the other Smurfs.

"First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village, but the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole g**g-b**g scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have reproductive organs under those little white pants. That's what's so illogical, you know, about being a Smurf. What's the point of living if you don't have a *?"

I put asterisks over certain words. Just because I figured, most adults will be able to figure it out. If not, you can pm me. :) I thought about this a lot before I posted it, and, I don't think it's too much for the dog house or anything. I'm sure that someone will disagree, but, I'll only delete it if Karen thinks it's too much. :) I don't think it is, but, I at least hope Karen agrees, as that part is one of my favorites in the movie.

And, he says it with such conviction, and, it's just such a funny part, because he has obviously put thought into this synopsis of the cartoon. Again, it's my personal attention that if that's not genius, it's pretty freakin' close. ;) My sense of humor is slightly bent, though. But, I'm obviously not the only one who digs this film. If you haven't checked it out, try it! And, if you do, let me know what you thought. I always love discussing this movie, because it affects so many people in so many different ways, and, people see things others miss and interpret it in a lot of different ways. So, yeah, it's a cool movie.

luckies4me
11-13-2004, 10:36 AM
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! :D I've seen it about 3 million times! I could quote pretty much everything. My favorite part though, hehe

"What are feces?"
"Baby mice"
"aww"

hehe That part gets me every time, as well as when Donnie starts going off about the smurfs. LOL! :p I also think it's halarious when he's hypnotized! Actually, it's my favorite part, hehe.

Did you happen to catch the Directors Cut in theatres? I saw it at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland and it explained so much of what I just could not get in the regular version. I did notice with the directors cut though that they left some parts out.

Another reason I have a love for this movie is I am totally obsessed with Jake Gyllenhaal. Did you know that his sister in the movie is his sister in real life as well? I took a picture of the Hollywood Theatre when I saw the Directors Cut. You can see it here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/miscellaneous/IMG_0030.jpg

It used to be the background for my myspace account but I just took it off recently. If you look at my myspace page though you can see that my friend posted a pic of Jake. ;0)

http://profiles.myspace.com/users/4223763

So um yay, I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! :D

guster girl
11-13-2004, 06:29 PM
I didn't get to see the director's cut, I was disappointed! OH, well, I'm sure eventually I will. I love it, too. And, yeah, I am a huge fan of both Jake and Maggie. Have you seen "Secretary"? That's an awesome film, and, Maggie stars in it. They are just excruciatingly sexy, it's almost unbelievable. He is striking, I'd probably be numb if I ever saw him for real. :)

luckies4me
11-13-2004, 07:27 PM
I didn't get to see the director's cut, I was disappointed! OH, well, I'm sure eventually I will. I love it, too. And, yeah, I am a huge fan of both Jake and Maggie. Have you seen "Secretary"? That's an awesome film, and, Maggie stars in it. They are just excruciatingly sexy, it's almost unbelievable. He is striking, I'd probably be numb if I ever saw him for real. :)

Yes, I just watched it again the other night! :D In fact I am going to the Bijou tonight to see the Directors cut of Donnie Darko again! :D It's so funny because my friend Justin loves her, and I love him, so we watched both the films LOL! :D

christa
11-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Donnie Darko is a GREAT MOVIE! Definitely a cult classic! Reading this thread makes me want to see it again . . . hmm, off to the movie rental store . . . ;)

guster girl
11-13-2004, 09:04 PM
If it's still playing here, I'm going to go see it this week. I hope it is, it was playing a theater called the Inwood. Very cool theater, I need to go there again regardless of the movie. :) I watched the video of Donnie Darko the other night again, it's so awesome.

LKPike
11-15-2004, 05:12 PM
gaaah!!! my two ultimate favorite movies, in one post!!!!! Secretary and Donnie Darko, I'm sure their "dark" movies to some people but to me I dont see them as that dark :o then again I've been described as "dark" before so maybe these movies are normal just to me. :p :p :p both were wonderfully filmed, I love maggie in Secretary cause they finally named one of the main female characters Lee, and my names Leigh pronounced the same... close enough! Both had wonderful stories, but Donnie Darko was a little bit more confusing, and youve gotta really pay attention to it :o

carole
11-19-2004, 04:02 PM
The movie has not been released in NZ yet, but I am curious now to see it, I was thinking we should ask Karen if we can have a forum especially for movie reviews, I would really like that, coz I hate going to a movie and finding it is no good, so far I have had pretty good luck, G Girl, You sure attend a lot of movies, so your information would be handy.

luckies4me
11-19-2004, 08:02 PM
YAY! We picked up our Donnie Darko Directors Cut poster from the Bijou two nights ago. :D

guster girl
11-20-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by carole
The movie has not been released in NZ yet, but I am curious now to see it, I was thinking we should ask Karen if we can have a forum especially for movie reviews, I would really like that, coz I hate going to a movie and finding it is no good, so far I have had pretty good luck, G Girl, You sure attend a lot of movies, so your information would be handy.

A movie review forum would be cool. :) Donnie Darko's been out for a couple years, it's strange that it's not over there, yet. interesting.....just a warning, though, it is really weird. :)

carole
11-20-2004, 01:46 PM
If its been out a couple of years G girl, I probably just missed it, either that or it was not released here, I believe A Japanese Story, one of my favs was not released in USA? correct me if I am wrong, Shall we ask the bosses permission then to see if we can start a movie review forum.? Hands up all those in favour!

guster girl
11-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by carole
If its been out a couple of years G girl, I probably just missed it, either that or it was not released here, I believe A Japanese Story, one of my favs was not released in USA? correct me if I am wrong, Shall we ask the bosses permission then to see if we can start a movie review forum.? Hands up all those in favour!

Yeah, it's been out a few years. I can't remember the year, I think I posted it earlier in this thread, though. :)

luckies4me
11-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Australia gets it on December 15th. :)