PDA

View Full Version : I have to have a spinal tap tomorrow!!

pitc9
11-11-2004, 09:53 AM
I am going tomorrow at 3:00 and I am scared out of my mind. I know people get spinal taps everyday, but this will be my first.

I have to have one because I have a neurological disorder. It's called Pseudotumor Cerebri, also known as increased intercrainal pressure. Here's a link that tells all about it.
http://www.eyemdlink.com/Condition.asp?ConditionID=367
After everything else has been ruled out, I will be on Diamox for about a year to decrease the pressure in my brain.

I had a cat scan on Monday to rule out a brain tumor (whew!!)
So now I have to have a spinal tap to confirm that I have Pseudotumor Cerebri, then on Wednesday the 17th at 3:00 I have to have a MRI and a MRV to rule out anything else... blood clots... etc.

Along with going through all of this, my sister (as some of you know) was diagnosed with thyroid cancer on Friday the 5th and will be having her thyroid removed on Tuesday the 16th. Her Dr's are confident she will have a 100% recovery, it was caught VERY early.

So... I am asking for prayers for myself and my family while my sister and I are going through all of this. I am blessed to have such a close and loving family that has been here for my sister and I though all of this, but we all could benefit from a few extra prayers!!

I am SO freaked out about getting the spinal tap tomorrow. I haven't slept in two nights.... I just can't stop thinking about it. Please, if anyone here has had one, please tell me what I should expect, what I should do to prepare myself...etc.
Thank you all ahead of time!!

robinh
11-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Wow, such a lot to deal with all at once. How wonderful that you have a loving and supportive family. It can mean the world to you when you are going through diagnosis and treatment.

Prayers for you, your sister and your wonderful family being sent by me and the kids!

KYS
11-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Sending many good thoughts that all will go well tomarrow.
(((HUGS)))

lovemyshiba
11-11-2004, 10:18 AM
I don't have any advice for you, but I will be keeping you, your sister and your whole family in my prayers.

Barbara
11-11-2004, 10:46 AM
I had it after they removed my brain tumor. They check the intracranial fluid that way. It was no fun and it hurted but I don't think it is dangerous. If you are a sissy like me (I have to turn my head away when they take blood or I would faint:o ) then of course you will be scared. I always try to tell me it's not rational........

Best wishes for you coming over for you and your family. And don't forget: We will survive;)

ramanth
11-11-2004, 10:50 AM
:eek: My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi God ~

We need a lil Help down here onna ole Durt Ball ~
fur Angie an her Sister...

They gotta have sum *stuff* dun, an we'd 'preciate it iffin You
kuld drop in wiff da White Coats an Help out.

Miz Angie iz purdy nerbus bout tumorrow -
maybee You kuld hold her HandPaw.

An pleeze be wiff Sis when she haz da SirJury -
havin You there will be a BIG Kumfort!

We'll all be sendin up Purrayerz that all goze *well*
fur boff of da Gurlz!

Thanks God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

pitc9
11-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Barbara, yes I am a sissy!! I had to have an IV put in for the dye when I had my cat scan on Monday and almost passed out. They had to put me on a bed to make sure I didn't fall while walking down the hall to the cat scan machine!! :o

I just can't wait till it's over!!!:( I can't stop thinking about it. I've been so worked up over this for the past few days, and Buddy has picked up on this and has been a basket case right along with me!!

pitc9
11-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Thank you SOOOO much Cinder and Smoke (Phred)

You always say the most wonderful things!!!

Thank you!

guster girl
11-11-2004, 11:06 AM
I know they hurt really badly. I'd be scared, too, but, I'm also a sissy. It's not the end of the world kindof pain, but, I've heard it definitely hurts. My brother (who's 31 now) had leukemia when he was five to ten, and, he had to get them all the time. And, my mom said it was so hard to be there and watch a little kid like that hurting so bad. And, he had to get them ALL THE TIME. But, you will be fine. I won't even tell you to be strong, cuz I know I'd be screaming and crying like a big baby. :) I'll be thinking of you!

Logan
11-11-2004, 11:53 AM
My thought is that whatever it takes to know exactly what you are dealing with is a good thing for you, even if it is scary and painful. Be brave! We want you to be just fine and to have proper treatment for whatever is going on inside your body. Isn't medical technology amazing? 20 years ago, many things that they can do now wouldn't have been possible.

Your sister and you are in our prayers. I hope you can check in with an update on both of you soon.

Logan

jazzcat
11-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Good luck. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

shais_mom
11-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Yikes Angie!!! I will certainly keep you and your sister in my thoughts and prayers!
That is a lot for a family to go thru..
I will keep pray that everything for both of you comes out fine.

Jods
11-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Sending prayers and warm wishes!!

carole
11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
I would be scared as well, it does not sound like a nice thing to have to go through, I wish you all the best, and hope that it will not be too bad, and that the positive thing will be in knowing how to deal with your condition and give you the best quality of life.

I really feel for you, and we will all be there in spirit holding your hand, and hoping it will be over with soon, the waiting is the hard bit, and the nerves begin to build up, Good luck sweetie.:)

PJ's Mom
11-11-2004, 01:29 PM
My daughter had one when she was one month old. they wouldn't even let me watch them do it. :eek: For what it's worth, Iit's usually a pretty fast thing to do.

Hopefully, it's an easier procedure on a grown up. Good luck!

carole
11-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Is a spinal tap the same as a lumbar puncture, my daughter had one of those at 4 and they would not let me stay either, but i could hear her, it was one of the worst experiences of my life, she was frightened too and did not know what was happening to her.

HUGS to you and remember we are all thinking of you.

Karen
11-11-2004, 01:56 PM
You will be in our prayers. Maybe wimpiness will help - fainting would be good - that way you won't be conscious for it.

Never had a spinal tap, I had brain surgery, MRI's and other tests, though. Bring something like a tennis ball or something squishierthat you can squeeeeze in your hand while it's going on, it's kind of a good way to distract yourself.

Tonya
11-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Oh my gosh, you have so much going on right now! I didn't realize! I will be praying for you. (((hugs)))

luckies4me
11-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Prayers sent! I wish you the best of luck!

pitc9
11-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by carole
Is a spinal tap the same as a lumbar puncture,

Yep, it's the same thing, Lumbar Puncture is the "Correct" term for it.

Thank you ALL so much, it means a lot to me!

AmberLee
11-11-2004, 03:35 PM
{{{gentle hugs, Angie}}}

We'll be holding you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

ChrisH
11-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

Kater
11-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Lots of prayers and calming vibes ;) coming your way! I hope it is quick and as painless as possible!!! I agree with Logan, although the procedure is scary it will provide you with invaluable information about how to proceed. Easy for ME to say, I know... :p
{{{HUGS}}}

Cincy'sMom
11-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Prayers and postive thoughts coming your way Angie! Hope all goes well tomorrow and they are able to find a way to help you out.

lynnestankard
11-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Angie so sorry to hear how nervous you are - I think the before-hand-nerves are often worse than the actual procedure.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers - just try to imagine a huge PT family gathering around the bed - all giving you HUGE hug.

Chin up sweetheart xxxxxx

Lynne

Miss Meow
11-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

You have so much on your plate at the moment and you and your family deserve some good news :)

chocolatepuppy
11-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Angie, prayers coming your way. It will soon be over.

ramanth
11-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Still thinking of you Angie. *hugs*

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-12-2004, 08:57 AM
Oh no, I am so sorry that I didn't open this thread yesterday....!
I had 2 spinal taps when I was in the hospital 2 weeks ago. There is nothing to be scared about, really! MOST important thing is to relax as much as possible. I did that, and all I felt was the needle !! I was so scared too, but it was okay.
Be sure to lay down for minimum 24 hours afterwards, otherwhise you will get a headacke . I hope all goes well :)

pitc9
11-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
Oh no, I am so sorry that I didn't open this thread yesterday....!
I had 2 spinal taps when I was in the hospital 2 weeks ago. There is nothing to be scared about, really! MOST important thing is to relax as much as possible. I did that, and all I felt was the needle !! I was so scared too, but it was okay.
Be sure to lay down for minimum 24 hours afterwards, otherwhise you will get a headacke . I hope all goes well :)

Did the doctors or anyone tell you to drink caffeine before and after the spinal tap to reduce the spinal headache??
A friend told me to, but I have not heard that from a Dr.

Barbara
11-12-2004, 10:10 AM
I didn't hear something like this. I agree: the worst can be the headache after. But you can take meds against it.

If you ever had a bad toothache- that's worse! However if it's something that hurts I prefer to know it before I go. No surprises there for me!

And even if I know it hurts more when you are not relaxed- that's not something I can control :(

But I agree to everyone: it will provide invaluable knowledge for your condition!

Again: all best wishes!:)

molucass
11-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Best of luck to you today!

pitc9
11-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Thank you all so much for you kind words!!

It's 1:00 now, and my hubby should be here soon to take me to the hospital .... Oh I wish it was already over!!!!

:( :( :(

Cinder & Smoke
11-12-2004, 12:19 PM
;)

Reeee- L A X E !!

{{{HUGS}}}

;)

ChrisH
11-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Angie, how did it go? Are you ok?

jazzcat
11-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Hope everthing went okay. Please let us know when you are able.

I remember when my brother had one is seems like he had to stay very still for a long time at home.

Lilith Cherry
11-13-2004, 12:19 PM
How are you feeling Angie? I hope everything went well and you have really results from it.

Hugs, Lilith

slick
11-13-2004, 12:52 PM
I have not been posting much but have been following this thread. Know that I've been praying for you all along. Please check in when you get home.

hugs
slick

carole
11-13-2004, 01:32 PM
I also hope you are ok after your ordeal, not fun for anyone, just know you are in our thoughts, and we hope you are feeling better and no doubt happy it is all over with now. Take care.

RobiLee
11-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Just checking in to see how you are, Angie. I hope everything went well.

Robin

tatsxxx11
11-13-2004, 03:41 PM
How are you doing, Angie??? I'm so sorry I missed this thread before the big day. I hope all went well and you're resting comfortably:) Check in when you can! {{HUGS}}} Sandra

lizzielou742
11-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Hoping it wasn't too awful... :(

ramanth
11-13-2004, 09:08 PM
I've been thinking of you Angie!!! *HUGS*

I hope they kept it as painless as possible.

Cinder & Smoke
11-14-2004, 11:30 AM
:confused:

Hellooooooo... Angie ... ???

Hope you're feeling OK!

chocolatepuppy
11-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Angie, hope you're doing okay!

cookieluver7
11-14-2004, 01:08 PM
GOOD LUCK!

AmberLee
11-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Warm wishes and a {{{gentle hug}}} in the hopes you are feeling better now.

Cincy'sMom
11-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Hope you are feeling up to checking in soon, Angie. We are thinking about you!

Kater
11-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Hope you are doing okay, Angie. {{{HUGS}}} Check in when you are up to it! :)

slick
11-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Dear God, where is she??? Please check in.