PDA

View Full Version : Food issues with Rosco...any suggestions

catcrazylady
11-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Rosco is a food fanatic and freak! He is a growling,
snarling little nasty boy over food! I know he and Abigail were starving when I caught them but they were so tiny and they have been here for months now and he's still a whacked out nut case when it comes to eating. He acts like a vicious rabid dog! I laugh at him but I kept thinking it would end soon but it's not.
He and Abigail get canned food mixed in with kitten chow twice a day, dry food always available, plus the big kitty food is always out. They get plenty to eat and always have food left through out the day. He's nuts about it! He even snarls and bares his teeth!:eek: I have put my hands in the food to see if he would bite me and you can tell he wants too but hasn't. He will just start scarfing it up as fast as he can and growl the whole time. He will plant all four feet in your dinner plate before you even know he is there! Heaven help you if you try to take a bite of people food from him:eek: :eek: He runs and hides with it and growls and snarls while he eats it. He's CRAZY!!;)
K & L I know you were having a problem with Mouser doing that. Has he stopped? Is Rosco ever going to quit doing this? Even the big kitties run away from this little growling runt!

christa
11-10-2004, 07:09 PM
LOL . . . Poor Rosco! He's still got that "living on the streets" instinct!

I have no clue what to tell you . . . I'm sure you'll get plenty of great advice though.

He's a growing boy, LOL!

Jods
11-10-2004, 07:13 PM
maybe when he's eating pet him and talk to him soothingly till he knows your not gonna take it away... Dunno what to say hope this helps.:(
Awhh Baby Rosco stop being so naughty! :p

catnapper
11-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Man! Thats a lousy situation. I don't have any suggestion, just I hope someone helps you.

Miss Meow
11-10-2004, 07:51 PM
I have to laugh because it brought back memories of Tabasco when he was little. He came from a litter that nearly starved to death as they wouldn't eat and by the time we adopted him he was exactly as you described Rosco!

Insert evil-looking food demon here ...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/pdda1b2d10f7d428d80ba08861b46a744/fd0345a0.jpg

This tiny little meezer would bolt to the foodbowl and guard it while making a RRRRROWWWWWWWW warning sound :eek: . The other three didn't know what to think! After a couple of months he worked out that he didn't have to fight for food and there was always plenty for everyone. Funnily enough, of the four he is now the least interested in food and little treats we leave out sometimes.

Anyway, if the problem isn't sorting itself out soon I would consider putting him in another room at peak feeding times to give you all some peace for a while. If it's still happening in a month or two, maybe your vet could have a look and possibly diagnose some low-dose kitty Valium or something to help. I think it'll sort itself out though once he feels more secure with his routine and feeding :)

rg_girlca
11-10-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm sorry Lisa that you are having food problems with Rosco, but like Miss Meow said, i'm sure it will work itself out in time.

I had a little stray, Squirty-Bums, that was like that also and after just over a month, she realized she didn't have to fight for her food and that there was plenty of it. Mind you, I only had 2 other cats at the time.

Good luck with this little fella and hope all works out in the end.:)

jazzcat
11-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Sorry I don't have any advice but hopefully he will settle down soon. It does seem like he would have figured out there is plenty to go around by now. Hopefully K&L will have some advice.

catmandu
11-11-2004, 08:38 AM
The Found Cats,that I took,in from the porch,definitley,were like that,as they had to eat everything right away,or the other Porch Cats,would eat it up.Bu eventually,they will realize,that the food,is always there,and hopefully,will not be as hungry,although,it is more,in thier minds,than actual hunger.

leslie
11-14-2004, 11:06 PM
i too have had older kittens with same behavior. They outgrow it when they learn the food isn't going anywhere. Although, in fairness to others, I have removed these guys who do this and given them their own food bowl in a separate room so they don't have to feel so stressed while they go through this stage. It is cute in a way!

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-15-2004, 04:50 AM
I think that the situation will get better; Rosco just needs time; he will realize one day that there is no need anymore to fight for his food. Just give the fellow some extra time, I am sure he will come around!!

catlady1945
11-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Our 14-year old Louis was like that. I still have the scar on my arm where he grabbed me as I was trying to put food in his dish. We had to feed him in the basement because he would shove the other cats aside and growl when anyone came near. He has outgrown that. I guess he realized that there was enough food for him.