PDA

View Full Version : Wearing curlers in public...

Tonya
11-10-2004, 01:38 PM
I have a pet peeve. Women who wear curlers in public. I'd rather go somewhere with bedhair and in my pj's then have curlers on in public. This morning, we were at the orthodonist, and this woman came in with curlers on and her teenage son. I felt so sorry for her kid. Couldn't she just take the extra two minutes to take them out? I don't know why, but it drives me insane!!!

guineapiglover4life
11-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I agree. Poor boy.

GraciesMommy
11-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Have to agree with ya there! thought that went out in the 50s~

pitc9
11-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Curlers...... what are those?!! (LOL :p )

Yes, that bugs me too!

Tonya
11-10-2004, 02:03 PM
I think I can explain why this is a peeve...I'd rather be caught looking naturally bad then be caught looking like I'm trying to beautify myself and looking ugly in the process. It's like they're trying so hard to look good that they're willing to humiliate themselves in the process. Does that make sense?

My Peanuts
11-10-2004, 02:05 PM
It makes perfect sense. The ONLY way I'd ever do it is if it was my wedding day and even then probably not. That's what curling irons are for :D

aly
11-10-2004, 02:13 PM
It doesn't bother me a bit. I think people can look whatever way they want :) I personally would not do it, but it doesn't bother me that people do.

ramanth
11-10-2004, 02:40 PM
I don't mind curlers so much, but I've seen people in a store with just pajamas, a robe, and slippers on!! :eek: :eek:

moosmom
11-10-2004, 03:26 PM
I've been outta my house running errands alot of times with bed hair. I've always tried to make it look half way decent. But curlers in public??? :eek: :eek: I don't think so!!

guster girl
11-10-2004, 04:14 PM
I guess I can see wearing curlers if you are in a rush. if i have to go out in public with bed head, though, i'll throw on a cap with a couple of pigtails. always does the trick. it doesn't bother me to see people out with curlers on, although i'd probably not do it. i did see a girl at my old job come in to work with curlers, though. now, that's tacky. ;)

Jods
11-10-2004, 05:34 PM
LOL I've never seen anyone with curlers in, in public. I think it would be funny 2 hehehe... I've seen people with Pajamas on as well... When I worked at Walmart I saw this woman in a really short nightgown :eek: :eek: Her hair was all messy and she was wearing slippers. Of course since it was so short everyone was watching her and she had to come to my register :rolleyes: LOL

Karen
11-10-2004, 06:50 PM
I haven't seen this is years! Thought it looked goofy when I was a kid, but then, I've always been amazed at the lengths some women will go to for "beauty."

One year for Halloween I went as "Little House-wife on the Prairie" - I had a old-fashioned-looking dress with "petticoat"-style ruffles near the bottom, so I wore that, bought cheap curlers and put those in my hair, and wore fuzzy pink slippers. A (girly) girlfriend of a friend said "But what if you LIKE how your hair looks once you take the curlers out? Won't that make you want to use curlers every day?" I told her the truth - nothing could make me want to go through that amount of effort and torture on a daily basis. I'm strictly a wash-and-go kinda gal, and don't even blow-dry except for very special occasions.

micki76
11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Who wears curlers now days?!?! LOL, it's 2004! :D

gini
11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Curlers - nope - not in public - not in private - - so I don't have curly fluffy hair - deal with it.

:D :D

catnapper
11-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Geesh, I feel bad if I have to run outside to let Nicki in while still wearing curlers!

ONCE I wore curlers out in public - on purpose to embarass one of the kids because they missed the bus - so I had to drop them off at school with the curlers in my head. That was fun. They almost jumped out before the car came to a complete stop! LOL

KYS
11-10-2004, 07:17 PM
LOL! My mom and aunt use to grocery shop together
wearing curlers.
(I wear 3 curlers and would never be caught dead in public
wearing them) I would be to self-consious and embarrased.

Miranda_Rae
11-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by micki76
Who wears curlers now days?!?! LOL, it's 2004! :D

LOL....ditto! Thats what I was thinking. I can't believe though that someone would go outside with their hair like THAT!!! :eek: But ya never know these days. :rolleyes: :p Seriously though, who wears curlers? :o

jazzcat
11-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
ONCE I wore curlers out in public - on purpose to embarass one of the kids because they missed the bus - so I had to drop them off at school with the curlers in my head. That was fun. They almost jumped out before the car came to a complete stop! LOL

Oh Kim, you are too cruel! LOL!!:D :D

popcornbird
11-11-2004, 02:45 AM
I remember seeing a women with like 10 curlers in her hair at the post office several years ago. I had such an urge to take them off. :o Its a pet peeve of mine too. ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-11-2004, 06:50 AM
My M-I-L's neighbor ALWAYS goes to the store with curlers in her hair, I even saw her with curlers, pajamas, a robe, and slippers once- the whole shebang.

The morning after Hurricane Charley I went to work in my ducky pajamas. I had to, that's all I had. We stayed at Justin's parents house during the storm and I was in such a rush the day before I forgot to bring clothes. Luckily we were closed I just had to go in to check on everything and check on my animals that were there. The only people I saw were my boss and one coworker. I was embarrassed even at that.

sirrahbed
11-11-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by ramanth
I don't mind curlers so much, but I've seen people in a store with just pajamas, a robe, and slippers on!! :eek: :eek:
:o I have done that! Well - the sleep pants anyway - I thought they looked ok:o No robe or slippers though - and a tee shirt;)
Curlers???? Do they still make them???:confused:

cubby31682
11-11-2004, 07:56 AM
That's a little odd.

I wear my pj's into stores. It's always one of those I don't want to get dressed but I do want food. I also wore my slippers too. During winter you will see me more times wearing sweat pants out in public than jeans.

Tonya
11-11-2004, 10:05 AM
I still use hot rollers sometimes, but if I suddenly have to go somewhere, I'll take them out real quick and go with my hair unstyled. I forgot to add, these weren't just curlers. These were hot rollers, so it wasn't like it was necessary to leave them in for 12 hours in order to get her hair to set!

Sometimes, if hubby convinces me to run out for a snack at like 1am :rolleyes: I'll go in my PJ's. And as far as my hair goes, I don't care what it looks like as long as it doesn't have curlers in it. lol.

All Creatures Great And Small
11-11-2004, 10:17 AM
On the rare occasions I see women in curlers, I have to wonder - who are they saving their "good" hair for? If everyone has seen you like that, what's the point of going out with the finished 'do?
There are so many faster methods nowadays, like curling irons and hot rollers, but there's a few die-hards who don't want to embrace technology I guess.

guster girl
11-11-2004, 11:02 AM
I sometimes use magnetic curlers. But, I don't think I've ever gone out in public with them. I do know that once, when I was getting my hair colored, I went across the street with my hair foiled and covered in hair dye just so I could get a drink. :)

trayi52
11-11-2004, 11:41 AM
LOL, back and I mean way back when I was going to high school, my physical education teacher was always telling us girls things not to do in public, and that was one of them! No curlers in public. She was trying her best to make ladies out of us girls. That one stuck with me along with a few of her other don'ts.

Willie:D

wolfie
11-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
On the rare occasions I see women in curlers, I have to wonder - who are they saving their "good" hair for?

lol, that's what I wondered!

carole
11-11-2004, 01:35 PM
I also thought curlers were a thing of the past these days, cannot say I have seen anyone wearing them out here, but I agree with Tonya, looks bad.

I would never do that, don't need them anyhow, have my own natural curls, but even when I go supermarket shopping , i always tidy myself up, never know who you are gonna meet there.

I have seen a young girl in her twenties in the supermarket wearing her PJs, I thought how lazy can you get, she did not appear to be sick.

guster girl
11-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by carole

I have seen a young girl in her twenties in the supermarket wearing her PJs, I thought how lazy can you get, she did not appear to be sick.

I think it has less to do with laziness than it does trendiness. I honestly see so many girls in pj type clothes, and, slippers all the time. I personally don't see anything wrong with it, as long as they cover parts that shouldn't be shown. :) And, I know several girls that do it just because that's what they're most comfortable in. Heh, I think that's a heck of a lot better than some of my other girlfriends that take an hour to get ready just to go to the grocery store. ;)

Tonya
11-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Oh! Even worse then curlers...Not to long ago, a girl was at the supermarket in PJ bottoms. They were baggy and low slung. And she had on g-strings that she'd hiked up so high that she could probably taste them. There were several inches between the top of her pj's and the top or her g-strings. She was obviously going out of her way to show them off.

carole
11-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Guster Girl because I am of a different generation to you, I suppose to me it is just unacceptable, maybe it is considered trendy these days, but for goodness sake how long does it take to put on some clothes, IMO pjs are just for sleeping in, not attire to wear in public.

Still I guess a lot of the camy type tops look like underwear these days, I am just a bit old fashioned when it comes to things like that, still see it as plain lazy. Each to their own I suppose, I have only ever seen two girls do this, not so trendy in NZ yet!!

Oh and Tonya I am with you on the g-string thingy too, seen that all the time, and on the not so flattering body shapes as well, I was in a shop the other day and the shop assistant was bending down doing something, she was an older woman, older than me, but had a nice figure, she was sporting a g-string, I think she realised she was showing afterwards and got up looking a bit embarrassed.

I now understand how my mother's generation found some of my fashions a little over the top, still worst i ever wore were boob tubes and a batik wraparound skirt and ugg boots, I believe the celebrity's are making ugg boots a real fashion accessory these days., this used to be my attire to work, I shudder when I think about it sometimes. lol.;) :D

gini
11-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Carole, I attended a beautiful wedding a few months back and one of the bridesmaid's was wearing a G string.

Her dress was very form fitting and she had a beautiful figure...........but it seemed as though everyone's eyes were stuck on the vision of her behind.

Some people were laughing about it later at the reception.

As for going anywhere in your pajamas.........I have to say ewwww.........geeze you slept in those and now you are parading around in them? Did you shower?:eek: