PDA

View Full Version : Peej, Bailey, the doctor and teeth

PJ's Mom
11-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Peej and Bailey just got back from their yearly exams/shots. They both checked out ok except the vet said they need to each lose about 5 lbs. :eek: :o

Peej also has to have his teeth cleaned. :( They took blood, and he'll call me tomorrow with the results and to set up an appt next week. It's a scary thing having your baby put under to have something like this done. :(

Other than that, they're both very healthy! :)

Has anyone here had their dogs teeth cleaned recently? Is it a bad ordeal?

RottiMommy49
11-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Great news that your babies are healthy!! I have never had any of my dogs teeth cleaned but have seen it done. It's no big deal and boy do they look nice and sparkly after there done. Some vets knock them right out while others just sedate them. I think I would prefer the sedation myself. Hope you post some pics of the bright white smile after it's done.:D
Deb, Monty and Kiki
:)
http://ibelieveinangels.mypicgallery.com/rottiangels/tweedle-dee-and-tweedle-dumb_large.jpg

mruffruff
11-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Ted E. Bear is a 13 year old diabetic and has his teeth cleaned at least once a year. He goes in in the morning, comes home at 4:30, ready to eat his supper. Normal, healthy dogs should be fine.

I wish I had trained him to let me brush his teeth when he was young. His breath can kill plants when he needs a cleaning.

It cost me about $100. That was the painful part.

Mary

K9soul
11-10-2004, 04:19 PM
I haven't recently had this done although Tasha may need to at some point, her front teefers are great but the very back teeth are really building up some tartar. I can brush them but when I get the scraper out she clamps her mouth shut and I have a hard time trying to scrape it.

Cody had an abscessed tooth that he had to go into surgery and have removed when he was around 10 years old. Believe me I was very nervous, but he got through it just fine and perked right back up. I think as long as the blood tests are okay there shouldn't be any problem!

PJ's Mom
11-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Mary, I love the name Ted E. bear. Too cute. :D

Thanks for the encouragement. The only time Peej has had to spend any time at the hospital is when he was a baby and he got neutered. :(

micki76
11-10-2004, 07:05 PM
We had Millie's teeth cleaned shortly after she came here. She had GROSS teeth (probably fed canned food and no chewies). She was fine when we picked her up, not groggy or anything, and hungry as a bear! :D Her teeth still look great!

Wish I only had 5 lbs to lose!!! :p

mruffruff
11-11-2004, 09:53 AM
me, too!

Mary

Greytdog00
11-11-2004, 10:01 AM
My greys had their teeth done when they came off the track. Some people have their teeth done yearly. I have'nt had the girls' teeth done since we adopted them. I just don't want to put them under every year if I don't have to. I figure that since I check their teeth regularily that if there seemed to be a problem then I would get them done. Our lab is going to be 11 and her teeth are really white and in great shape. I think that with each breed and each dog it differs.

PJ's Mom
11-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Peej's doctor just called and said the results of his blood work came back and he's in excellent health. :)

He's scheduled for his teeth cleaning at 8:30 on Tuesday morning. :(

He said that Peej is young enough (almost 6) and that he's very healthy, so there's really little risk.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by mruffruff
It cost me about $100. That was the painful part.

Wow, that's actually cheep.

I brush my dogs teeth about once or twice a week, it helps a lot. Bitsy is 4 and she hasn't ever had to have them cleaned, Charlie is almost 6 and I haven't to get his done either. Nacey is only 1 so not yet for her either. Buster is my problem child when it comes to teeth. When I got him 3 years ago he was 6 and his teeth were so bad that most of them had to be pulled. About a year ago he had to have 2 more pulled. Although I brush his too they just don't hold up as well because of years without care. I have no doubt that he will one day be completely toothless. :(